British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   What Is The Best Profession To Move To The US With? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/what-best-profession-move-us-909167/)

ChronowerX_GT Feb 13th 2018 3:21 pm

What Is The Best Profession To Move To The US With?

Hi there,

I'm planning on moving to the US from the UK in about 10 years time. Of course, the VISA application will prove to be difficult. There only seems to be two ways available to me which is an investor VISA (which I don't have the money for) or being sponsored by a US company (which I probably don't have the qualifications for).

With time on my side, I have the luxury of pursuing a degree/masters degree in order to make the move in the future. The problem is choosing the right degree. Salary isn't really the important aspect of it as I am in a good job here meaning my house should be paid off which probably means I can buy a house outright when I move so at least I won't have a mortgage to worry about.

If anyone has any insight to what industries would be wise to gear myself up for, then I would be grateful. I am fairly IT literate so I was wondering if something related to IT would be a good idea. Perhaps I could find a job with Microsoft or Apple in the UK and then transfer to the US later down the line.

Thanks.

Noorah101 Feb 13th 2018 5:23 pm

Re: What Is The Best Profession To Move To The US With?

Definitely transferring with an existing employer is easier (if you qualify) than trying to get hired by a new employer in the USA.

Rene

Octang Frye Feb 13th 2018 6:27 pm

Tecmolergy was(is) a good way to go. You have to be top of your game to get a job with Microsoft/Apple/Google/Netflix - a bit pie in the sky.
Become a big data person (Hadoop, MapR etc) and then get a job with a bank in the IT dept and then transfer. Much more realistic.
If you were Apple/Microsoft material, you'd already be heavily into software/IT.

civilservant Feb 13th 2018 6:32 pm

If you are insistent in choosing a degree for it's potential visa value, rather than because it's something you enjoy, then STEM is the way to go.

tom169 Feb 13th 2018 7:45 pm

Stay away from jobs that require licencing in the US.

mikelincs Feb 13th 2018 8:42 pm

also remember that in 10 years time visas may well be a different kettle of fish to now, and may be easier (very unlikely) or harder, likely.

Pulaski Feb 13th 2018 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12441461)
also remember that in 10 years time visas may well be a different kettle of fish to now, and may be easier (very unlikely) or harder, likely.

I agree. IMO it is likely to be harder for employers to bring in valued employees, and harder to keep them in the US permanently, but I think is likely to be much harder for people to be hired directly into the US.

So in short, I would focus on two ways to get into the US, either through transfer/sponsorship by an employer who you already work for, or the other way that will get me frowned at, or slapped if I mention. :(

ChronowerX_GT Feb 14th 2018 6:35 pm

Thanks for the responses guys and gals.

Yeah, marrying a US citizen probably isn’t the way to go. I don’t think my fiancée would take too kindly to that ;) I’m hoping to be married soon and she was going to come with me.

Defiantly seems like finding a company here and then transferring is the way to go judging by your responses.

As stated before, I’m probably not Apple or Microsoft material but the banks may be an interesting proposition.

What is exactly meant by STEM when choosing a degree?

Thanks.

tom169 Feb 14th 2018 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by ChronowerX_GT (Post 12442113)
Thanks for the responses guys and gals.

Yeah, marrying a US citizen probably isn’t the way to go. I don’t think my fiancée would take too kindly to that ;) I’m hoping to be married soon and she was going to come with me.

Defiantly seems like finding a company here and then transferring is the way to go judging by your responses.

As stated before, I’m probably not Apple or Microsoft material but the banks may be an interesting proposition.

What is exactly meant by STEM when choosing a degree?

Thanks.

Science, technology, engineering, math.

ChronowerX_GT Feb 14th 2018 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12442115)
Science, technology, engineering, math.

Great thanks. I ‘kind of’ work for Ford Motor Company so perhaps the engineering route may be a viable path.

petitefrancaise Feb 14th 2018 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by ChronowerX_GT (Post 12442123)
Great thanks. I ‘kind of’ work for Ford Motor Company so perhaps the engineering route may be a viable path.

I was going to say that working for a US based company would be a good start! That opens up the future possibility of being transferred within the company. Getting a Masters is looked upon favourably as well.

TheKingOfHearts Feb 14th 2018 11:28 pm

Given you're planning on completing a masters, coming over on an F1 visa to study here & completing a masters at a US institution would give you the ability to qualify for the additional batch of H-1B visas available exclusively to US masters holders. Given the oversubscription of H-1B, this could definitely help your case, given it seems H-1B or an L-1 transfer are pretty much your only options unless you have $500k lying around.

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 15th 2018 1:10 am

Originally Posted by ChronowerX_GT (Post 12442123)

My Dad was offered a move with Ford so certainly possible.

ChronowerX_GT Feb 15th 2018 1:11 am

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts (Post 12442229)
Given you're planning on completing a masters, coming over on an F1 visa to study here & completing a masters at a US institution would give you the ability to qualify for the additional batch of H-1B visas available exclusively to US masters holders. Given the oversubscription of H-1B, this could definitely help your case, given it seems H-1B or an L-1 transfer are pretty much your only options unless you have $500k lying around.

That’s an interesting proposition. I never considered that.

I wonder if I could do distance learning through a US institution? Basically remain in the UK but get the US Masters. Something like the Open University in the UK.

ChronowerX_GT Feb 15th 2018 1:12 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12442274)
My Dad was offered a move with Ford so certainly possible.

That’s great to hear. May I ask what his job was/ is? We make transmissions at the plant I work at.