Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

We've arrived in the USA! POE Philadelphia

Wikiposts

We've arrived in the USA! POE Philadelphia

Old Mar 29th 2010, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

wareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to allwareagle is a name known to all
Default Re: We've arrived in the USA! POE Philadelphia

Originally Posted by Mint Julep
Thanks Tracey, I thought it was something nasty that I'd overlooked !I'm just trying to stay on top of things and using the time I have at the moment to be a step ahead so I can get going asap with no nasty surprises BTW while I'm here, (and in danger of hijacking JGs thread), I wonder if anyone here has dealt with USCIS and could tell me how long it could take from decision to actual stamp in passport.

Oh and another BTW since this thread discussed the dreaded POEs does anyone know what Austin, Texas is like
hi mint julip,

I've been lurking here for a while but thought rather than ask for help in my first post i might try and help you...

I would imagine there is no way Austin TX can be your POE, i've been there a lot and dont think you can get a direct flight from the UK. I would imagine your POE could be Dallas, Chicago or one of the other major connection airports. Best of luck with it though
Old Mar 29th 2010, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yes and just when do you plan on that being, Missy?!
Was just wondering about you the other day..
Trying to get the house sold first M. plus there is a slim chance that there might be moves afoot at work which would make it foolish for me to hand in my notice before I absolutely have to. Can't say more than that at the moment, but in any case need to be away be first week in July so 15 weeks and counting!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepgirluk
Yeah - come on Mandy! Once you get over here then Tracy and I can order our bite guards... "Call now and we'll send you an extra bite guard completely free (you pay P&P). But wait... there's more... call in the next 30 seconds and we'll give you 364 extra ones so you have a brand new super supple bite guard for each day..."

Can ya'll wait 15 weeks max?
Old Mar 29th 2010, 4:56 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wareagle
hi mint julip,

I've been lurking here for a while but thought rather than ask for help in my first post i might try and help you...

I would imagine there is no way Austin TX can be your POE, i've been there a lot and dont think you can get a direct flight from the UK. I would imagine your POE could be Dallas, Chicago or one of the other major connection airports. Best of luck with it though
Welcome to you, and thanks for jumping in with an answer!
I had the same question re: Austin.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 4:57 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
Trying to get the house sold first M. plus there is a slim chance that there might be moves afoot at work which would make it foolish for me to hand in my notice before I absolutely have to. Can't say more than that at the moment, but in any case need to be away be first week in July so 15 weeks and counting!!!!!!!!
oooh.. intrigue! Exciting.

July.. sounds ages away until you say '15 weeks'.. gaaa the time goes so fast these days!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Mint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wareagle
hi mint julip,

Hi Wareagle, thank you for taking the time to help me but your answer has thrown up another question, I've been looking at flights and you're right, I do have to change planes to get to Austin and have different options there. it doesn't have to be a direct flight does it?

Last edited by Mint Julep; Mar 29th 2010 at 9:23 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 12:30 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mint Julep
Hi Wareagle, thank you for taking the time to help me but your answer has thrown up another question, I've been looking at flights and you're right, I do have to change planes to get to Austin and have different options there. it doesn't have to be a direct flight does it?
No, you can change planes as often as you like, but that's not important. The important thing to realise is that your POE will be whichever US airport you land at first.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:27 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
No, you can change planes as often as you like, but that's not important. The important thing to realise is that your POE will be whichever US airport you land at first.
Or what airport she departs from or transits through enroute to the USA ...
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:40 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Or what airport she departs from or transits through enroute to the USA ...
OK, there are special cases like certain airports in Ireland and Canada, where CBP do immigration processing there, but merely hinting at it is only going to confuse her further.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:52 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations and welcome to America
Old Mar 30th 2010, 3:08 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

OK, there are special cases like certain airports in Ireland and Canada, where CBP do immigration processing there, but merely hinting at it is only going to confuse her further.
True, good point. I should have made it clear that I was addressing you, not her.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Mint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to all

OOOhhhhh really ! Thank you, that is a very interesting point since I will almost definitely be referred to secondary, enroute to another plane, I could be held up and miss the flight. and/or have a hard time at a notorious POE...well its back to the drawing board. I could go from Dublin but they might question why I was going from there as I'm from London. Altermatively I wonder if there are any 'obvious' US POE's that are best avoided.

Last edited by Mint Julep; Mar 30th 2010 at 8:55 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

Mint - I would have a look at which routes will get you to your destination for the best price/flight time/least amount of flight changes. Hopefully you'll only need to change planes once. I'm sure the route you choose to fly will not be of concern to the POE officer. Which route have you taken previously?

As for POE - there seem to be different experiences for many people on this forum. Some get processed at the primary immigration desk and others, like myself, have to go through to secondary to be processed. Definitely leave at least 3 or 4 hours between your flights so that you have less chance of missing your connection.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeepgirluk
Mint - I would have a look at which routes will get you to your destination for the best price/flight time/least amount of flight changes. Hopefully you'll only need to change planes once. I'm sure the route you choose to fly will not be of concern to the POE officer. Which route have you taken previously?

As for POE - there seem to be different experiences for many people on this forum. Some get processed at the primary immigration desk and others, like myself, have to go through to secondary to be processed. Definitely leave at least 3 or 4 hours between your flights so that you have less chance of missing your connection.
Hi JG thanks for replying and still helping out here I've usually flown direct to Houston but those guys scare me So if I wouldn't get a hard time in Ireland I could fly direct and just have to clear customs? but i'm still not clear on whether immigration clearance in Ireland only applies to certain US airports this is such a pain, to have to wonder about stuff like this after all we have to go through to get there atall, the things we do for love huh?
Old Mar 31st 2010, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

MJ if the flight leaves from Dublin or Shannon then you'll be processed through immigration there regardless, the only restriction city wise will be where they actually fly to.

Aer Lingus
Dublin to:
North America Boston, Chicago, New York (JFK), Orlando
Shannon to:
North America Boston, Chicago, New York (JFK)

Check out this page - it let's you check routes available from Dublin (and Shannon I think).

http://www.dublinairport.com/flight-...-and-airlines/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.