Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Well, it was pretty good while it lasted....

Well, it was pretty good while it lasted....

Old Jan 4th 2010, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light
Default Well, it was pretty good while it lasted....

Hi y'all, its been a good couple of years since I posted here on BE. I was an avid (and very excited ) poster all through my H1-B application, through our initial relocation to from the UK to Seattle and finally through to us settling down in NC about four years ago. After that, although you guys have plenty of interesting things to say, and are always good for a laugh, I rarely found the time to check in as life just kind of overtook me. But it looks like I'll be posting quite a bit over the next few months.

After a few false starts I finally landed a great permie job with a GC thrown in, and thought wow, that's us sorted then.

Unfortunately as many of you know life doesn't usually quite work out that way. Some idjit in the HR department forgot to file my Labor Cert before the H1-B time limit and now it looks like we're well and truly screwed.

Barring a miracle (and knowing the US labor department I probably have more chance of a monkey on fire flying out of my arse) when my H1-B expires at the end of April, we're toast.

Back to the UK, do not pass go. Don't stop to cash in the chips - house, car, kids in school, pets, etc. back to the start you go.

After working myself into the ground for the last six years, and the mammoth effort it took for the previous four years before that just to get out here, it all seems such a colossal waste of time, money and effort.

Seeing as I was dumb enough to plough most of my remaining cash into my house (only to see it vanish overnight) it looks like I'm going to be hard pressed to even afford to get the removal guys to shift our stuff and get the five of us on a plane back to the UK. What will be fun will be arriving at the airport broke with no job or home and a family to feed!

Agh, I sound terribly bitter. I'm not really, just very nervous on how the next few months are going to go. But chances are I'm going to be asking an awful lot of dumb questions about moving back to the UK before we reach the end of our journey. So bear with me - heh, I know just how barbed some of the excellent wit here on BE can get.

For those of you old stagers that remember me, hi again, the rest of you are just going to have to put up with me as I work things out.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well, it was pretty good while it lasted....

Don't blow anyone away!!

It sounds a bit drastic, I thought you could extend H1B.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, that's true, you can extend your H1-B as long as you file your Labor Cert 365 days before the end of the H1-B, which is the deadline that my emplyer missed, filing a few weeks too late. If they'd done it in time, no problem, you can just keep extending as long as you want.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

(and knowing the US labor department I probably have more chance of a monkey on fire flying out of my arse)
That's pretty funny.

But I'm sorry to hear of your woes. Is there no appeal/ explanation avenue open to you?
Old Jan 4th 2010, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

I'm afraid not... been lawyered up for a while now, and its all to no avail...there are some crazy things you can do, like go to Mexico or something until your Labor Cert is granted and then come back, but apart from that there's not really much else...
Old Jan 4th 2010, 7:36 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Vern
I'm afraid not... been lawyered up for a while now, and its all to no avail...there are some crazy things you can do, like go to Mexico or something until your Labor Cert is granted and then come back, but apart from that there's not really much else...
Doesn't your contract include a clause for repatriation costs?
Old Jan 4th 2010, 9:38 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Hi y'all, its been a good couple of years since I posted here on BE. I was an avid (and very excited ) poster all through my H1-B application, through our initial relocation to from the UK to Seattle and finally through to us settling down in NC about four years ago. After that, although you guys have plenty of interesting things to say, and are always good for a laugh, I rarely found the time to check in as life just kind of overtook me. But it looks like I'll be posting quite a bit over the next few months.

After a few false starts I finally landed a great permie job with a GC thrown in, and thought wow, that's us sorted then.

Unfortunately as many of you know life doesn't usually quite work out that way. Some idjit in the HR department forgot to file my Labor Cert before the H1-B time limit and now it looks like we're well and truly screwed.

Barring a miracle (and knowing the US labor department I probably have more chance of a monkey on fire flying out of my arse) when my H1-B expires at the end of April, we're toast.

Back to the UK, do not pass go. Don't stop to cash in the chips - house, car, kids in school, pets, etc. back to the start you go.

After working myself into the ground for the last six years, and the mammoth effort it took for the previous four years before that just to get out here, it all seems such a colossal waste of time, money and effort.

Seeing as I was dumb enough to plough most of my remaining cash into my house (only to see it vanish overnight) it looks like I'm going to be hard pressed to even afford to get the removal guys to shift our stuff and get the five of us on a plane back to the UK. What will be fun will be arriving at the airport broke with no job or home and a family to feed!

Agh, I sound terribly bitter. I'm not really, just very nervous on how the next few months are going to go. But chances are I'm going to be asking an awful lot of dumb questions about moving back to the UK before we reach the end of our journey. So bear with me - heh, I know just how barbed some of the excellent wit here on BE can get.

For those of you old stagers that remember me, hi again, the rest of you are just going to have to put up with me as I work things out.
Crap, Vern, that sucks big-time. I wondered where you'd gone but assumed you were one of the lucky ones who was so busy getting on with life that BE paled into the distance.

When I first started reading this, I thought you were going to say you gradually realized how much you miss Tesco's and Corrie and a good old chinwag at the local back in Blighty (someone fetch me a barf bag), but no, you sure as hell don't want to leave ... all I can say is I hope there is a glimmer of light in the reg's that someone has missed and you get a reprieve.

Have you asked your current employer if they will give you a 12 months unpaid sabbatical/leave - you would then (after 24 mths) be re-eligible to enter under H-1B ... and probably wouldn't have to re-interview, etc.? It's an option suggested to me back in 2006 and which I foolishly turned down.

In the meantime, ask us any question except how to get your US television to work in the UK. :curse:
Old Jan 4th 2010, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

So what happened to the Green card application?

How long do you have to be out of the country for the Labor Cert to be granted?

I would say it seems surprising that the employer can screw up and just dump you penniless, but it isn't really.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of

This sucks, i have never heard of such Bull Crap...W.T.F. there again i should as we are dealing with the uscis, yall never know....
I wish i could offer you something, but i have'nt a clue about this Labor Cert stuff.

This goes to show people in not putting all your eggs in one basket..

I sure hope somehow, somewhere you can work this B/S out for your Family.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 11:35 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

What a huge mess. Heres hoping the labor dept comes though and the papers fall in place without the monkey on fire
What happened about the Green card, did that not get filed for either?
Old Jan 5th 2010, 12:40 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Horrible mess. I'm so sorry for you.

Have you tried contacting some local congress person? I know you're not a voter, but you could be one in the future, and raising happy future Americans, plus you'd probably tell everyone what a great person they are if they help you, and it does seem the sort of mess someone could nudge if they tried.

I only mention this because we got caught in a bureaucratic snarl up once in Canada and the local MP's office were practically falling over themselves to help us. I think because we were a relatively straightforward case that they thought they could fix compared to the desperate and tangled ones they often get.

Doesn't cost, after all,

Bev
Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:44 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Big Vern I am sorry to read that. Try and be positive and look at it as a new adventure for you and your family. A very similar thing happened to Honeymommy a few years ago. They too had to up sticks and leave behind a life in the US they loved and move back to the UK with barely any finances. However despite going back with next to nothing, they have thrived and are doing okay. Things have a way of working themselves out. In the meantime you will find a huge support in this forum from those who are in the process of moving back also.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 3:24 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Crap, Vern, that sucks big-time. I wondered where you'd gone but assumed you were one of the lucky ones who was so busy getting on with life that BE paled into the distance.

When I first started reading this, I thought you were going to say you gradually realized how much you miss Tesco's and Corrie and a good old chinwag at the local back in Blighty (someone fetch me a barf bag), but no, you sure as hell don't want to leave ... all I can say is I hope there is a glimmer of light in the reg's that someone has missed and you get a reprieve.

Have you asked your current employer if they will give you a 12 months unpaid sabbatical/leave - you would then (after 24 mths) be re-eligible to enter under H-1B ... and probably wouldn't have to re-interview, etc.? It's an option suggested to me back in 2006 and which I foolishly turned down.

In the meantime, ask us any question except how to get your US television to work in the UK. :curse:
I just spotted a mistake in my earlier post - should say after 12 months not after 24 months ... if your employer wants to keep you, maybe they would keep your job open for 12 months(?)
Old Jan 5th 2010, 7:35 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Well, it was pretty good while it lasted....

Originally Posted by Sue
Big Vern I am sorry to read that. Try and be positive and look at it as a new adventure for you and your family. A very similar thing happened to Honeymommy a few years ago. They too had to up sticks and leave behind a life in the US they loved and move back to the UK with barely any finances. However despite going back with next to nothing, they have thrived and are doing okay. Things have a way of working themselves out. In the meantime you will find a huge support in this forum from those who are in the process of moving back also.

How weird....I was thinking of Honeymommy today too!

She made many posts on BE and with a great sense of humour even in the toughest of times...but it might be interesting for BigVern if he wishes to read through these posts that Honeymommy wrote about her family's experience - and happily it all turned out well in the end:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227059 (her 1st thread about discovering that the GC isn't going to materialise and pleading for help)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234524 (HM's dismay 'Well, that's it then')

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244790 (early days back in Blighty)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=369844 (update after approx 20 months in the UK)

Good Luck, BigVern!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dunroving
Dammit! That was going to be my next question

Thanks everybody for your advice - I'll revisit Honeymommy's experiences and persue some of the other avenues that some of you have suggested.

On the plus side, the fat lady hasn't sung right now - I'm not through with the HR dept just yet...I'll let you know how things pan out....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.