Waring about supicous e-mail

Old Sep 9th 2002, 7:26 am
Tjw & Acw

Default Waring about supicous e-mail

Me and my wife just received a e-mail from a person/persons claiming to be a one Neil
Kernan with the Hotmail address of this person was claiming to be a Medical doctor
with the Virginia Medical Association.

According to his professional and legal opinion, me and my wife (who live in TN and
never had contact with this gentleman or anyone in VA) were committing immigration
fraud and he had all our personal info and was going to contact INS and turn us in.
After losing 3 hours of pay, and paying a ER bill to get my 7 month preggers wife
checked out for a panic attack, we contacted INS, FBI, Hotmail, and authorities in
VA. According the authorities in Virginia this person has no medical standing that
they know of, INS logged the e-mail address and name and made a notation that the
gentleman claimingto be/impersonating a INS certified doctor, and the FBI also has
logs of the gentleman's name and e-mail addy and have informed me that should further
e-mails be received the person in question could face criminal and civil penalties
for harassment.

Should anyone receive a similar e-mail for this person or this e-mail account, you
should contact your local INS or FBI field offices immediately and let them know what
he is up to.

--
TJW & ACW
--------------------------------------------------------

Old Sep 9th 2002, 7:28 am
Tjw & Acw

Default Re: Waring about supicous e-mail

Forgot to post the hotmail addy: [email protected]

Thanks all,

--
TJW & ACW

Old Sep 9th 2002, 8:15 am
Michael Voight

Is it a real address? Did you actually check the full headers of the email or just
looked at the From header?

Why would they accuse you of fraud?

TJW & ACW wrote:
    > Forgot to post the hotmail addy: [email protected]
    > Thanks all,
    > --
    > TJW & ACW
    > --------------------------------------------------------

Old Sep 9th 2002, 9:53 am
Marilou920

>Subject: Waring about supicous e-mail From: "TJW & ACW" [email protected]
    >Date: 9/9/02 2:26 PM Central Daylight Time Message-id:
    ><[email protected] s.com>
    >Me and my wife just received a e-mail from a person/persons claiming to be a one
    >Neil Kernan with the Hotmail address of this person was claiming to be a Medical
    >doctor with the Virginia Medical Association.
    >According to his professional and legal opinion, me and my wife (who live in TN and
    >never had contact with this gentleman or anyone in VA) were committing immigration
    >fraud and he had all our personal info and was going to contact INS and turn us in.
    >After losing 3 hours of pay, and paying a ER bill to get my 7 month preggers wife
    >checked out for a panic attack, we contacted INS, FBI, Hotmail, and authorities in
    >VA. According the authorities in Virginia this person has no medical standing that
    >they know of, INS logged the e-mail address and name and made a notation that the
    >gentleman claimingto be/impersonating a INS certified doctor, and the FBI also has
    >logs of the gentleman's name and e-mail addy and have informed me that should
    >further e-mails be received the person in question could face criminal and civil
    >penalties for harassment.
    >Should anyone receive a similar e-mail for this person or this e-mail account, you
    >should contact your local INS or FBI field offices immediately and let them know
    >what he is up to.
    >--
    >TJW & ACW
    >--------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for sharing this expereinced. This will serve us some warning if we
encounter this type of person.

Old Sep 9th 2002, 2:53 pm
Tjw & Acw

Well this person's whole claim is based on the fact that my wife's maiden name
appears on two of the ob-gyn ultrasounds that we had done. And the fact that "in his
professional opinion" we've had to many ultrasounds, and therefore they must be
fakes. From what the FBI agent told me, this is pretty common scam these days. The
next e-mail will most likely be one asking for money in order not to report us.

--
TJW & ACW