Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move to usa, have uk class 1

Wanting to move to usa, have uk class 1

Old Apr 29th 2020, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Lewis8475 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wanting to move to usa, have uk class 1

Hey , i use to live in new york i had a green card when was younger, have now expired.

im looking into moving back, and i have a uk class 1 (uk cdl)
I have an aunt in new york.
i dont know what would be my best way to go. Seen a few things i.e going thro an employer, or thro family. Just like a bit of info on things.

thanks, lewis
Old Apr 29th 2020, 10:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move to usa, have uk class 1

Hi, welcome to BE.

This Wiki article is an overview of all of the available visas, have a look through this and see if you think you would qualify for any of them - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...ork_in_the_USA

Your Aunt and your Class 1 are of no use to you for a US visa unfortunately, so you'll need to find another way.

But do also give full details of your green card, as that may be hopeful unless you've formally abandoned it - when did you hold it, how long did you spend living on it in the US, when did you return to the UK and what age were you when you did so, etc, etc?
Old Apr 29th 2020, 11:35 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Based on what you have said it seems that your Green Card may have expired, and neither your profession nor your family relationships are going to get you a visa to live in the US.

How long ago did the card expire? Have you kept any ties to the US such as a bank account or property?
Old Apr 29th 2020, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

On what basis did you have a GC before? Although the card has expired, the link or the reason for it may remain. Apart from your aunt, do you have any close family in the US (not just in New York).
Old Apr 29th 2020, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You won't get a work visa for a CDL but Canada appears to be looking for truckers.
Old Apr 29th 2020, 10:10 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of questions to be asked. In my lectures with the LA County Bar Association Immigration Training Course I teach attorneys to be on the lookout for derivative US citizenship.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 2:28 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You won't get a work visa for a CDL but Canada appears to be looking for truckers.
I have a very good friend who is a Canadian trucker.
I could ask him if he has any pointers.

Lewis PM me and I can put you in contact with my friend Owen.
If you're interested in Canada a CD1 will get you a work visa but at the moment there are issues with the whole Covid.

Last edited by excpomea; Apr 30th 2020 at 3:07 pm.