British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Want to move from UK to USA to live with my Girlfriend (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/want-move-uk-usa-live-my-girlfriend-639856/)

Noorah101 Nov 9th 2009 8:59 pm

Re: Want to move from UK to USA to live with my Girlfriend

Originally Posted by TAJ4Life (Post 8085078)
So if I come there for a visit could I not marry her there and then?

Yes, you can marry her there and then, but YOU cannot stay in the USA after that. You'll then need to return to the UK and pursue an Immigrant Visa, which takes about 8 - 10 months to process. So you still won't be here by Feb 2010, but you are right, it's another option open to you.

Rene

Bill_S Nov 9th 2009 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by TAJ4Life (Post 8085078)
So if I come there for a visit could I not marry her there and then?

Ummm.... how long have you known each other? Years? Months? Weeks? And what does SHE want? Is she interested in marrying you?

TAJ4Life Nov 9th 2009 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 8085085)
Yes, you can marry her there and then, but YOU cannot stay in the USA after that. You'll then need to return to the UK and pursue an Immigrant Visa, which takes about 8 - 10 months to process. So you still won't be here by Feb 2010, but you are right, it's another option open to you.

Rene

I actually have relatives in the USA - New Mexico does that make any difference?

TAJ4Life Nov 9th 2009 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_S (Post 8085097)
Ummm.... how long have you known each other? Years? Months? Weeks? And what does SHE want? Is she interested in marrying you?

We have known each other for a while and she is very interested as am I in marriage we share something very special with each other and I am determined to be with her as is she with me.

Noorah101 Nov 9th 2009 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by TAJ4Life (Post 8085106)
I actually have relatives in the USA - New Mexico does that make any difference?

What relatives are they? If they are your parents, siblings, or children over 21, then yes...they can help you. If they are anything else (cousins, aunts, uncles), then no.

Edit to add: Even if they are parents, siblings, or children, none of them will get you here by Feb 2010.

Rene

TAJ4Life Nov 9th 2009 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 8085112)
What relatives are they? If they are your parents, siblings, or children over 21, then yes...they can help you. If they are anything else (cousins, aunts, uncles), then no.

Edit to add: Even if they are parents, siblings, or children, none of them will get you here by Feb 2010.

Rene

Uncles and cousins so i guess again no :-( *cries*

Noorah101 Nov 9th 2009 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by TAJ4Life (Post 8085117)
Uncles and cousins so i guess again no :-( *cries*

What's the hurry? Take some time to visit each other and then decide if marriage is what you guys want.

Rene

TAJ4Life Nov 9th 2009 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 8085136)
What's the hurry? Take some time to visit each other and then decide if marriage is what you guys want.

Rene

Spoke to my gf gonna go there to visit and then take it from there and get the appropriate visa which i believe is the fiance visa? one getting that it means i can move there?

Noorah101 Nov 9th 2009 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by TAJ4Life (Post 8085150)
Spoke to my gf gonna go there to visit and then take it from there and get the appropriate visa which i believe is the fiance visa? one getting that it means i can move there?

Good plan. Yes, once you meet in person, you guys can start the K-1 fiance visa (or, if you want to get married, you can do that and then start the Immigrant Visa).

Rene

TAJ4Life Nov 9th 2009 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 8085159)
Good plan. Yes, once you meet in person, you guys can start the K-1 fiance visa (or, if you want to get married, you can do that and then start the Immigrant Visa).

Rene

Thank you Rene and everyone for the advice will do it that way :-)

TAJ4Ever Nov 9th 2009 9:43 pm

Umm, I'm "the girlfriend" and I just had a few things I wanted to say.. First of all, to all those that have sincerely helped us by giving us the best advice and information possible, thank you very much. Noorah, bob, etc.

The thing was, we were prepared for what we were calling "worst case scenario", which was meeting, visiting a couple times, etc. first, then getting married, (basically what you guys just stated) but we wanted to see if there were other options open to us so that he could just come here and stay here, so we wouldn't have to be apart for any longer than necessary. We weren't sure if this was possible, which is why he ended up making this post. We're long distance as it is, and just wanted to see if it was possible to end that on a permenant basis. Now after reading posts from those that have helped us out with this information, we know that it is not and will go along with our "worst case scenario" plan.. :) Marriage is just the thing that happened to keep coming up. There is no immediate hurry for marriage..

At the same time, marriage IS wanted on both parts. There is no rush, but it will be happening in due time. Because we are very much in love. And yes it might sound strange to most people considering technically we haven't met yet in person, but please when some of you have negative things to say about it, or tend to feel the need to belittle it, just because it doesn't make sense to you, please just keep your mouth shut about it. Just because you don't understand it, or just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean it doesn't work for us. There's a long story and a LOT of history behind the two of us, and yes we are very close and in love, and I'd be willing to bet very highly even more so than most people who ARE face to face. If you can't understand that, well I'm sorry. But putting your two cents in about how ridiculous it seems to you, is neither necessary or wanted, so please keep those comments to yourself.. thank you.

As for the one persons comment, I would LOVE to go to England for 6 months. Technically we could afford it, but there are personal reasons as to why I can't go there. No I'm not a criminal or anything, :p. But going there at all is really not possible at the time. I did know about that though, and that had been our original plan, until we found out it wasn't possible for it to happen. :( Thanks anyways though.

Anyways, I've said my peace. Thank you once again for the people that took their time and seriously helped us out with all the information they could possibly give. We truly appreciate it. Take care

TAJ4Life Nov 9th 2009 10:12 pm

Hi,

Just one last thing is this the correct website to go through getting the ESTA?

https://www.esta.us/apply/online.html

rebs Nov 9th 2009 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by TAJ4Life (Post 8085291)
Hi,

Just one last thing is this the correct website to go through getting the ESTA?

https://www.esta.us/apply/online.html

No - ESTA is free - you shouldn't be paying anyone.

Try this - https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

franc111s Nov 9th 2009 10:22 pm

Great attitude "Girl Friend". If you bothered to actually read what people were taking the time to advise here, you would understand there is heart-felt sympathy *and* caution. That's all. To tell people to "shut your mouth" is very offensive (for Brits).

Anyway, the point is that 10's of 1000's of people just like you two FALL in love over the Internet, having never met. That's what people were trying to say, you are NOT alone. HOWEVER, to get married and plan to spend a life together after you haven't even met and think the advice is shit is pathetic. I was married 15 years to the wife I love when we moved here and even that WAS TOUGH. We made it, and have been married for over 25 years now. A change of life, culture, no work (10% + unemployment) will test even the die hard married for years couple!!! People whom have been married for YEARS, IN LOVE, are struggling. So, people are just trying to CAUTION you. If you are not going this without a GOOD deal of caution then shame on you. I wish you EVERY bit of success and hope you are the rare ones that make it BUT make no mistake, I don't care how much in LOVE you are now, do not think for one second and be NIAVE to think this is going to be a walk in the park.

That all said. Don't criticize, just absorb, listen, learn and succeed. We all succeed by learning, from ourselves or from others.

Originally Posted by TAJ4Ever (Post 8085219)
There is no rush, but it will be happening in due time. Because we are very much in love. And yes it might sound strange to most people considering technically we haven't met yet in person, but please when some of you have negative things to say about it, or tend to feel the need to belittle it, just because it doesn't make sense to you, please just keep your mouth shut about it.

TAJ4Life Nov 9th 2009 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 8085307)
No - ESTA is free - you shouldn't be paying anyone.

Try this - https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

Erm the site looks a bit unprofessional i hope it is the right one just being cautious that is all :o