Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Want to move from UK to USA to live with my Girlfriend

Want to move from UK to USA to live with my Girlfriend

Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

TAJ4Life is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Want to move from UK to USA to live with my Girlfriend

Hi all,
My girlfriend lives in the USA and is currently not working and I am in the UK not working at present either after having lost my job.
I have a new passport and was born in the UK but have no idea on what to do :-( I want to move there with her, she currently lives with her mother and thought would it be possible for them to sponsor me as they have offered that.

Would I need a VISA? Or something else? I really want to be with her by February 2010 is that possible? We are both extremely in love with each other and I want to be with her so I am truely hoping there is a way I can move there and be with her and whilst there get a job also.
I have some qualifications and lots of experience in like Admin so I know I should be capable of getting work.

I hope someone can seriously help me get to her, she is doing her best looking for the right info and found this site by luck I hope someone can tell me what I need to do I would truely be very greatful.

Regards.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move from UK to USA to live with my Girlfriend

Originally Posted by TAJ4Life
Hi all,
My girlfriend lives in the USA and is currently not working and I am in the UK not working at present either after having lost my job.
I have a new passport and was born in the UK but have no idea on what to do :-( I want to move there with her, she currently lives with her mother and thought would it be possible for them to sponsor me as they have offered that.

Would I need a VISA? Or something else? I really want to be with her by February 2010 is that possible? We are both extremely in love with each other and I want to be with her so I am truely hoping there is a way I can move there and be with her and whilst there get a job also.
I have some qualifications and lots of experience in like Admin so I know I should be capable of getting work.

I hope someone can seriously help me get to her, she is doing her best looking for the right info and found this site by luck I hope someone can tell me what I need to do I would truely be very greatful.

Regards.
Have a read of this and see if you fit in to any of the visa categories. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways:_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA

Unfortunately from what you've said, it doesn't seem very likely that you'll be able to move to the US without marrying your girlfriend, and even then it's not going to happen by Feb 2010. The US is notorious as one of the most difficult countries to get in to.

But have a read of the above and then shout with any questions about the visas.

Good luck.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

What qualifications and/or job experience do you have? You'll need to furnish us with a bit more details if you want advice on employment based visas.
Do you have any convictions and/or police cautions?

Your best bet is probably to get married. The shortest route would be to apply for a K1 fiance visa, read the wiki here:http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1
and there's also the CR-1 visa here:http://britishexpats.com/wiki/CR-1
I believe the CR-1 takes longer to process.

Given that it's November already your chances of obtaining this visa and being able to move by February are slim, it's likely to take a couple of months longer than that, other people on here can give you a more accurate timeline.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My girlfriend lives in the USA...
Is she a US Citizen?

she currently lives with her mother and thought would it be possible for them to sponsor me as they have offered that.
If your girlfriend is a USC, and her mother earns enough to be a financial joint sponsor (since your girlfriend has no income), then you can probably marry your girlfriend and immigrate that way.

Would I need a VISA?
You will need a visa if you want to immigrate to the USA. If you just want to visit, you don't need one.

I really want to be with her by February 2010 is that possible?
No. Even if you do a K-1 fiance visa, which is the fastest marriage-based route, it takes 6 - 8 months to process, so even if you can start that today, you won't be able to move to the USA until around May - August 2010.

We are both extremely in love with each other and I want to be with her so I am truely hoping there is a way I can move there and be with her and whilst there get a job also.
There is. Once you get your K-1 visa in hand, and you get married in the USA, you can apply for permission to work in the USA.

Have you two met in person yet?

Rene
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

She is a US citizen, no we haven't met in person yet. We spend pretty much all day on Live video chatting through the Xbox I am 28 she is 25.

What about ESTA I saw that, could I like apply for that now?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't sound promising :-( so there is no way I could get sponsored by my gf and say her mum also and move there? Didnt quite understand your link im afraid :-(
Yes, your gf and her mom can "sponsor" you, if your gf is a USC and you are willing to marry her.

Rene
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Regards.
If she is a US citizen, fiance visa or immigrant visa (after getting married) are your best options. There is no "live with my girlfriend" visa, sorry.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
What qualifications and/or job experience do you have? You'll need to furnish us with a bit more details if you want advice on employment based visas.
Do you have any convictions and/or police cautions?

Your best bet is probably to get married. The shortest route would be to apply for a K1 fiance visa, read the wiki here:http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1
and there's also the CR-1 visa here:http://britishexpats.com/wiki/CR-1
I believe the CR-1 takes longer to process.

Given that it's November already your chances of obtaining this visa and being able to move by February are slim, it's likely to take a couple of months longer than that, other people on here can give you a more accurate timeline.
Hi,

Well I have a GNVQ business intermediate, Data communications and networking certificate, PC support unit of credit and like 7 years of admin experience and around 7years of retail experience.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

She is a US citizen, no we haven't met in person yet. We spend pretty much all day on Live video chatting through the Xbox I am 28 she is 25.

No K1 visa unless the two of you have met in person.

And frankly I wouldn't be planning life-changing events based on live video chats. How about spending a holiday together before turning your lives upside down.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:51 pm

Ah, OK. One of the requirements of the K-1 visa is that you have to have met face to face at least once in the past 2 years. In that case, come to the USA for a visit, meet her face to face, and start the process if you think marriage is what you want.

ESTA is just the pre-clearance done before visiting the USA on the visa waiver program (VWP). You must complete ESTA before traveling.

Rene
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:53 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Marriage. Easiest option. Of course doing so right now might seem a bit premature but about half of the people on this board have come over through the relative (spouse) sponsor route.

Job. We don't know enough about the details of your job, but unless you have a college degree and are working in a high demand field (think tech, medicine, chemistry, etc) than your changes of finding someone to sponsor you for a work visa is pretty rough. No employer wants to pay the added $7,000 in expense unless you are offering some really amazing skills, and the US doesn't want you to come over and take the job of an unemployed American, so they would say.

You might be able to get a job for a UK company with an office in the US and then transfer over as part of that.

Education. You could come over for an advanced degree, spend a year or two here and then decide on marriage.

My advice: Visa Waiver for 90 days, visit, see how things are working out, and then go back to the UK. Have her come and visit you for 60-90 days in the UK and see how she likes it. If things are going well take a few months off and consider your options toward walking down the aisle.

It's worth noting--strongly worth noting--that marriage in an expat / dual citizenship / residency environment is not for everyone. It can be quite difficult, especially when one or the other starts to feel homesick or 'trapped' in their new country. This board is full of people who are in a decision of 'the UK or the love of my life' and not sure where to go, and the US expat in the UK site is also full of Americans living in the UK who absolutely hate it.

Basically, I would 'try before buy' for a few months, a couple of trips back and forth. See if things are working out and then you can both be together soon enough.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

GNVQ's don't mean anything over here and as much use as toilet paper I'm afraid.

For the fiance `K1 visa, you'd need to have physically have met at least once within the last 2 years....so having a holiday and meeting would be a great idea, especially on such a life changing event.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Ah, OK. One of the requirements of the K-1 visa is that you have to have met face to face at least once in the past 2 years. In that case, come to the USA for a visit, meet her face to face, and start the process if you think marriage is what you want.

ESTA is just the pre-clearance done before visiting the USA on the visa waiver program (VWP). You must complete ESTA before traveling.

Rene
So if I come there for a visit could I not marry her there and then?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
...Have her come and visit you for 60-90 days in the UK and see how she likes it...
If she can afford to, she could spend 6 months in the UK without a visa.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

So if I come there for a visit could I not marry her there and then?
you could, but you couldn't just stay if that was your intention...search out the 10 foot pole...

And do you honestly think it a good idea to marry someone who you haven't physically met in person? Marriage, as moving countries are pretty large steps to take...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.