Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Want to move from UK to USA to live with my Girlfriend

Want to move from UK to USA to live with my Girlfriend

Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move from UK to USA to live with my Girlfriend

Originally Posted by TAJ4Life
Hi just want to confirm that its dollars not pounds right? as in your above says i need around USD 3000?
I was speaking in USD, yes.

In case you want to try for a visa again in the future, try having your girlfriend provide you with an I-134 affidavit of support, to prevent you from becoming a public charge in the USA. You would show the I-134 and backup documents at the visa interview.

Rene
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

TAJ4Life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101

In case you want to try for a visa again in the future, try having your girlfriend provide you with an I-134 affidavit of support, to prevent you from becoming a public charge in the USA. You would show the I-134 and backup documents at the visa interview.

Rene
Thank you soo much!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
Hi,

Just wanted to ask do I still need savings if she fills this in? Also does she need savings instead because on the form it asks about a savings account?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:57 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to ask do I still need savings if she fills this in?
It would help your case if you do.

Also does she need savings instead because on the form it asks about a savings account?
She doesn't NEED savings, no. If she has savings, she should list it.

But again....don't reapply very soon...I'd wait at least 6 months or so. Try to have her visit you instead.

Rene
Old Jan 20th 2010, 3:25 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neil52
Go for a long holiday and take it from there, but the talk of marriage over a person you have only seen on a screen is wierd.
Judgmental, much? I'm happily married (for nearly eight years now) to a lady I met just three times before we decided to marry.

I spent about two hours chatting with her after randomly meeting her in SeaTac airport, then about nine months later I spent a day out with her and a friend doing touristy stuff around Seattle, then had a quick dinner with her a few days later. That was April 2001. By the end of June 2001 we had decided to marry, on the basis of a long email correspondence, and a week or so of telephone calls at the end of June.

Worked very nicely for us...
Old Jan 20th 2010, 3:50 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

TAJ,

Did you document that she could pay your expenses, or simply claim that she would? The I-134 with supporting documents that Rene suggested can be important.

The consular officer can't just take your word for things - people have actually been known to lie, believe it or not. Important information needs to be backed up with good documentation.

Regards, JEff

I actually emphasised that my girlfriend would be paying for the trip and even gave details of her address but that did not work the guy just basically said I need savings as I could be a liability if I got injured.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 2:14 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Judgmental, much? I'm happily married (for nearly eight years now) to a lady I met just three times before we decided to marry.

I spent about two hours chatting with her after randomly meeting her in SeaTac airport, then about nine months later I spent a day out with her and a friend doing touristy stuff around Seattle, then had a quick dinner with her a few days later. That was April 2001. By the end of June 2001 we had decided to marry, on the basis of a long email correspondence, and a week or so of telephone calls at the end of June.

Worked very nicely for us...
Glad it worked for you but i would say for the vast majority of couples meeting in the short time you did and get married in would end in divorce after a very short time.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
TAJ,

Did you document that she could pay your expenses, or simply claim that she would? The I-134 with supporting documents that Rene suggested can be important.

The consular officer can't just take your word for things - people have actually been known to lie, believe it or not. Important information needs to be backed up with good documentation.

Regards, JEff
Hi no I had no supporting documents and was only made aware of such a document now by noorah which i am truely greatful for.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Neil52
Glad it worked for you but i would say for the vast majority of couples meeting in the short time you did and get married in would end in divorce after a very short time.
People get divorced even if they have met and known each other for ages i personally do not believe there to be any difference if they have known each other via the net only and then decide to wed very soon its all about the connection and interests and how 2 people truely feel about each other that make for a lasting relationship.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 2:42 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

People get divorced even if they have met and known each other for ages i personally do not believe there to be any difference if they have known each other via the net only and then decide to wed very soon its all about the connection and interests and how 2 people truely feel about each other that make for a lasting relationship.
I have only really got to know someone warts and all by living with them, I went out with a girls at College for 12 months and thought that she was the one as we clicked in every way, 4 months after renting a flat together it finished...I would never marry anyone without living with them for a fair amount of time...you do not buy a car without test driving it first.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 2:50 pm

Let's keep the thread on the immigration track, instead of advising the OP about his relationship.

Thanks,
Rene