Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Want to move from UK to USA to live with my Girlfriend

Want to move from UK to USA to live with my Girlfriend

Old Jan 19th 2010, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move from UK to USA to live with my Girlfriend

Originally Posted by jaxslad
If a alien can visit on a(Tourist visa 90 days max) VWP then this would be offered before anything...
You do understand the concept of the VWP, don't you? There is no "tourist visa". VWP = visa waiver program = no visa.

Ian
Old Jan 19th 2010, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You do understand the concept of the VWP, don't you? There is no "tourist visa". VWP = visa waiver program = no visa.

Ian
Ian yes i do mate.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 2:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaxslad
Sorry but all this sounds very fishy in my eyes...

Why would one ask for a interveiw for a visa to visit the us? from the uk,,?
I don't think it sounds fishy, it just sounds like the OP did not understand the correct procedure for visiting the USA, even though it was explained in detail on this thread. Either he didn't understand the steps, or perhaps he did have something preventing him from using the VWP which he didn't share with us.

Rene
Old Jan 19th 2010, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Craig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I don't think it sounds fishy, it just sounds like the OP did not understand the correct procedure for visiting the USA, even though it was explained in detail on this thread. Either he didn't understand the steps, or perhaps he did have something preventing him from using the VWP which he didn't share with us.

Rene
I have to agree with that, I've been reading the whole thread, and it seems like the OP just didn't understand what they were told to do. Would be nice if they came back and told us why they didn't use the VWP?
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

TAJ4Life is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Ok let me clear some things up firstly I got a caution when I was 18 thats why as I honestly answered yes to getting a caution I had to go to the embassy. Secondly my girlfriend in the USA is paying for the trip.

My police certificate came back with NO Trace, all I was told was get a job and save up money as no savings but am wondering how much do I need in savings? Its just for a 2week trip.

I am sorry to all for not being clearer before :-(
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:58 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TAJ4Life
She is a US citizen, no we haven't met in person yet. We spend pretty much all day on Live video chatting through the Xbox I am 28 she is 25.

What about ESTA I saw that, could I like apply for that now?
no job and no money, you have got no chance.

Last edited by Neil52; Jan 19th 2010 at 10:01 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok let me clear some things up firstly I got a caution when I was 18 thats why as I honestly answered yes to getting a caution I had to go to the embassy. Secondly my girlfriend in the USA is paying for the trip.
Thank you for clearing up why you couldn't use the VWP. That helps a lot.

My police certificate came back with NO Trace, all I was told was get a job and save up money as no savings but am wondering how much do I need in savings? Its just for a 2week trip.
There's no set amount of savings, it's still up to the ConOff to decide if it's enough, but I suppose if you figure around $200 a day, for 14 days = $2,800. If you have $3,000 in savings, that might do the trick. Of course, don't borrow $3,000 from someone, stick it in your savings account, and then try for the visa again. The ConOff will question how you suddenly got that much money. I'm sure they want you to have some ties to the UK - a job, school, something...and some way of showing how you earned the money you've been depositing to your savings.

Better yet, have your girlfriend come visit you in the UK. The main thing right now is to meet each other in person, right? It doesn't matter where. Seems like she'll be more eligible to visit the UK, since she has the money (and maybe the job).

Rene
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I am sorry to all for not being clearer before :-(
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/b2.html

Note: The decision to approve or deny the application will be based on the interview and information provided orally. However, the consular officer may ask the applicant to provide documentary evidence of the following:

* funds sufficient to cover all expenses while in the United States; and

* a residence abroad to which he/she intends to return at the end of the stay in the United States. This is generally established by evidence of family, professional, property, employment or other ties and commitments to some country other than the United States sufficient to cause the applicant to return there at the conclusion of his/her stay.

The officer's job is to make sure you will leave the US when you are supposed to. Since a US citizen significant other is one way people stay in the US permanently, that weighs heavily against your application. It's not a simple matter of 'have X£ in the bank' or 'have any old McJob'; they want to see that you have a darn good reason for returning to the UK.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

There's no set amount of savings, it's still up to the ConOff to decide if it's enough, but I suppose if you figure around $200 a day, for 14 days = $2,800. If you have $3,000 in savings, that might do the trick. Of course, don't borrow $3,000 from someone, stick it in your savings account, and then try for the visa again. The ConOff will question how you suddenly got that much money. I'm sure they want you to have some ties to the UK - a job, school, something...and some way of showing how you earned the money you've been depositing to your savings.

Better yet, have your girlfriend come visit you in the UK. The main thing right now is to meet each other in person, right? It doesn't matter where. Seems like she'll be more eligible to visit the UK, since she has the money (and maybe the job).

Rene
Hi Rene,

Many thanks for your reply yes I have ties in the UK my family is here and my sister is due to be married soon also all my friends are here so there is no issue with me emphasising to the person that I intend to come back to the UK which I do.
I am actively seeking work as I have never been out of a job before and will also be looking at saving towards to the amount you have advised.

Again many many thanks for all your help :-)
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/b2.html

Note: The decision to approve or deny the application will be based on the interview and information provided orally. However, the consular officer may ask the applicant to provide documentary evidence of the following:

* funds sufficient to cover all expenses while in the United States; and

* a residence abroad to which he/she intends to return at the end of the stay in the United States. This is generally established by evidence of family, professional, property, employment or other ties and commitments to some country other than the United States sufficient to cause the applicant to return there at the conclusion of his/her stay.

The officer's job is to make sure you will leave the US when you are supposed to. Since a US citizen significant other is one way people stay in the US permanently, that weighs heavily against your application. It's not a simple matter of 'have X£ in the bank' or 'have any old McJob'; they want to see that you have a darn good reason for returning to the UK.
Understood, and I do have a reason which I will as before ensure to advise once I do have the sufficient savings.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:20 pm

Many thanks for your reply yes I have ties in the UK my family is here and my sister is due to be married soon also all my friends are here so there is no issue with me emphasising to the person that I intend to come back to the UK which I do.
Just so you know, they don't count family and friends as a strong tie. Just imagine, if you hit it off with your girlfriend, you'll most likely immigrate to the USA...so you will eventually be leaving your family and friends anyway at some point.

They are looking for strong reasons that you must return to the UK after your US visit. More like owning property, a job that expects you back, or school that you must return to attend.

Rene
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:21 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

I cannot believe the OP has decided he wants marriage over the internet, people behave their best in front of a screen and untill you have lived with someone for a few months you cannot judge what a person is really like, suggest living together for at least a few monts before taking such a huge step, I know quite a few of my friends who have met girls on the internet and thought theu were the one untill they went out with them a few times.
Go for a long holiday and take it from there, but the talk of marriage over a person you have only seen on a screen is wierd.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:22 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

TAJ,

It sounds as though you failed to sufficiently document that your girlfriend is both willing and able to pay for your visit when you made your visa application.

And perhaps your agenda for the trip was weak as well. How much money you need depends in part on what you plan to do during your visit.

I like Rene's idea to have your girlfriend visit you. If she can afford to pay for you to visit her, she can afford to pay to visit you, and perhaps she won't have the visa problems that you have.

Regards, JEff

... my girlfriend in the USA is paying for the trip.

... all I was told was get a job and save up money as no savings but am wondering how much do I need in savings? Its just for a 2week trip.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Jan 19th 2010 at 10:25 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
TAJ,

It sounds as though you failed to sufficiently document that your girlfriend is both willing and able to pay for your visit when you made your visa application.

And perhaps your agenda for the trip was weak as well. How much money you need depends in part on what you plan to do during your visit.

I like Rene's idea to have your girlfriend visit you. If she can afford to pay for you to visit her, she can afford to pay to visit you, and perhaps she won't have the visa problems that you have.

Regards, JEff
I actually emphasised that my girlfriend would be paying for the trip and even gave details of her address but that did not work the guy just basically said I need savings as I could be a liability if I got injured.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Rene
Hi just want to confirm that its dollars not pounds right? as in your above says i need around USD 3000?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.