Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Want to move from UK to USA to live with my Girlfriend

Want to move from UK to USA to live with my Girlfriend

Old Nov 12th 2009, 12:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move from UK to USA to live with my Girlfriend

Originally Posted by traceym
Once the visa Waiver is approved, which you state you are waiting for, print it out and then you can go to the USA on holiday, you will not be allowed to enter without it, don't even think about booking flights etc until you have it.

Why would you need an appointment at the Embassy?

Tracey.
Tracey...do you mean "once the ESTA is approved"?

Rene
Old Nov 12th 2009, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, sorry I used the term Visa Waiver rather than using the term ESTA.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

TAJ4Life is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Non-immigrant visa got denied please help

Hi everyone,
I went to the U.S. Embassy last week after doing all the forms etc and got the interview I was denied, I am unemployed and the person asked if I had any savings I said no he asked again saying you have no savings at all? And I said no.
He then said I was denied because he did not want me to become a liability in the USA if something happened to me so he said to go get into work and or get some savings.

Thing is how much savings do I need? I only wanted to go for a 2week holiday and would be in a hotel no driving around or anything.

Hopefully someone can please help me and advise what money I need do I need like £500 or £1000 or more? Just for a 2week holiday? The flight and accomodation would be taken care of.

I was thinking what about travel insurance if I had that then I wouldn't need any savings would I? I would be looked after as seeing my girlfriend in the U.S.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:25 pm
BritChickUS

kwilson will become famous soon enoughkwilson will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Non-immigrant visa got denied please help

Where are you coming from? The UK? Why were you being interviewed for a non-immigrant visa? Could you not have come on the Visa Waiver program?
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TAJ4Life
Hi everyone,
I went to the U.S. Embassy last week after doing all the forms etc and got the interview I was denied, I am unemployed and the person asked if I had any savings I said no he asked again saying you have no savings at all? And I said no.
He then said I was denied because he did not want me to become a liability in the USA if something happened to me so he said to go get into work and or get some savings.

Thing is how much savings do I need? I only wanted to go for a 2week holiday and would be in a hotel no driving around or anything.

Hopefully someone can please help me and advise what money I need do I need like £500 or £1000 or more? Just for a 2week holiday? The flight and accomodation would be taken care of.

I was thinking what about travel insurance if I had that then I wouldn't need any savings would I? I would be looked after as seeing my girlfriend in the U.S.
From many of the responses I've read on this site, it looks like you were turned back because the officer interviewing you, probably did not find sufficient ties for you to the UK. In other words, he was thinking since you are unemployed, and have no savings, you were secretly looking for employment in the U.S. Whether that is true or not, the evidence seemed probable in his eyes.

Originally Posted by kwilson
Where are you coming from? The UK? Why were you being interviewed for a non-immigrant visa? Could you not have come on the Visa Waiver program?
He probably needs a visa because he might be a citizen of a visa country, or has a criminal record that he thinks might bar him from entering tan risk getting turned back at the airport, but those are just my guesses.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kwilson
The history of the OP is on a previous thread. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639856

Perhaps the mods could tag this one on the end of it? (Or do whatever mods do to prevent déjà vu)

Last edited by Zonie; Jan 18th 2010 at 8:00 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:34 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zonie
The history of the OP is on a previous thread. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639856

Perhaps the mods could tag this one on the end of it? (Or do whatever mods do to prevent déjà vu)
I concur, that's a great idea, it will help avoid confusion.

I have merged this new thread with the original one the OP started.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute

wow, its not a super-fast k1 application -> interview from back in november is it?? if so, thats amazing!!
Old Jan 18th 2010, 9:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I went to the U.S. Embassy last week after doing all the forms etc...
All the forms for what? The VWP only requires an ESTA pre-clearance, which is done online and was explained fully in this thread.

and got the interview
Interview for what? The VWP does not need an interview.

Did you by some chance apply for a B tourist visa? And if so, why? Did your ESTA come back unapproved?

Now you've been denied a visa to the USA. Whenever you do an ESTA online approval for the VWP (assuming you still want to visit the USA), you'll have to mark "yes" to that question, and you'll probably get questioned further at the POE.

Rene
Old Jan 18th 2010, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Madelina
wow, its not a super-fast k1 application -> interview from back in november is it?? if so, thats amazing!!
LOL, no, it's not. The OP has not even met his USC fiancee yet, this was going to be the visit where they meet face to face for the first time!

Rene
Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:57 pm
BritChickUS

kwilson will become famous soon enoughkwilson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Zonie

Aaah! Thank you!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

wow im confused, i understand he wanted to go to the USA meet USC girlfriend (for first time), get engaged, come home, start K1 process....

TAJ4Life:
What country are you from? and what citizenship do you currently have?
What visa have you tried applying for?
What forms did you fill out?
Do you have a criminal record? (any arrests, citations etc)

Why did you not go to the USA on the Visa Wavier Program? (VWP)

To go on the VWP you needed to do the ESTA online and then once onboard a plane you fill out a green bit of paper....thats all that was required and wpuld of granted you up to 90 days in the USA to visit your girlfriend.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 1:52 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the Embassy officer wondered the same thing I am, which is...with no job and no savings, or in other words no money, how are you affording this trip? How are you paying for airfare, travelling within the country, eating, places to sleep, anything else you want to buy, and unexpected emergencies?

It suggests that you either have a job lined up or a mystery someone willing to pay for all of these things for you, and either of those things is a red flag in the officer's eyes. Whether or not you DO have a job or a caretaker, this is the sort of thing that he might expect.

I agree with the officer...get some money saved up...

...I am unemployed and the person asked if I had any savings I said no he asked again saying you have no savings at all? And I said no.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:09 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I beg to disagree. I think the situation is exactly as TAJ reported that the consular officer told him - he can't afford the trip, and so for whatever reason he wants to visit the USA it's reasonable to expect that he's going to be forced to look for employment, which is not allowed as a visitor, or get assistance of some kind, to stay alive while in the USA and to get back home again when he's supposed to leave.

Lack of sufficient financial resources is a very valid reason for denying a B2 visa, right up there with lack of reason to leave the USA having entered (aka lack of ties to the home country).

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
From many of the responses I've read on this site, it looks like you were turned back because the officer interviewing you, probably did not find sufficient ties for you to the UK. In other words, he was thinking since you are unemployed, and have no savings, you were secretly looking for employment in the U.S. Whether that is true or not, the evidence seemed probable in his eyes.

Hi everyone,
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of

Mods...

I Got to say this post should be pinned under .
THE WAY NOT TO DO THINGS?

Sorry but all this sounds very fishy in my eyes...

Why would one ask for a interveiw for a visa to visit the us? from the uk,,?
Unless they can't get on the VWP for whatever several reasons we all know of..
Now if this person didn't had to go to get a visa such as b2 or whatever and now been denied ..i feel this could only open up a can of worms for any future, visits, applications, as anything this files on any forms from now on, must be noted in the future..

If a alien can visit on a(Tourist visa 90 days max) VWP then this would be offered before anything...well before a B2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.