Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Want to move from UK to USA to live with my Girlfriend

Want to move from UK to USA to live with my Girlfriend

Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:39 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move from UK to USA to live with my Girlfriend

Originally Posted by TAJ4Ever
The process takes 6-8 months, correct??
Around that, if you don't hit any snags, that's correct.

Rene
Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TAJ4Life
Ok so I go to the USA then I am engaged to my GF and come back and apply for a Fiance Visa is that it? Because I will not be going there to stay illegally as advised I am will meet my GF and within the 2yrs to apply for a Fiance Visa? My intentions would be to visit get engaged and come back apply for fiance visa and then come back, is that ok?
As nobody has offered a comparison between the two visas available to you, I will do so now. You seem to be leaning towards the K-1, when in fact it may not be the best path for you.

K-1 visa (fiance visa):

You meet in person at least once, get engaged.
USC starts the paperwork for the K-1 process.
Presuming the paperwork is approved, the UKC goes for interview and medical in London.
Presuming approval is granted, the UKC gets visa affixed into passport.
UKC enters the USA, but cannot work.
The UKC has 90 days to marry the USC.
The UKC files paperwork to adjust status. Until temporary EAD (employment authorisation document) is in hand, UKC still cannot work. This may mean a few months without the ability to work.
Eventually UKC receives green card and all is well - for two years when conditions must be removed from green card.

CR-1 visa (sometimes termed 'spousal' visa, not its official name but it describes it well):

UKC flies to USA on VWP (no visa required at this point).
UKC and USC get married.
USC files paperwork for CR-1 visa.
UKC returns to UK within the 90 days allowed under the VWP.
Case transfers to London and like the K-1, there's an interview and medical in London.
If approved, visa affixed into UKC's passport.
UKC enters the USA and is allowed to live and work from day one, no waiting for EAD. In fact, the stamped visa in the passport becomes an immediate green card upon entry.
There is no further paperwork required in order to live, work and do anything else (legal) in the USA - until the conditional status is required to be removed from the green card.

In short, the CR-1 visa is considered superior to the K-1, because:

There's less paperwork
When you count up all the fees relating to filed paperwork, it's cheaper
The UKC can work from day one upon entry - no waiting for EAD

If you're truly ready for marriage, you could get married on your visit to the USA and go CR-1 instead of K-1. As far as how long it takes the UKC to get into the USA, it's about the same both ways, so that's really not a factor.

~~~~~~~~~~

Having said that, I'd agree with other posters that you should spend a while in each other's presence before contemplating marriage. Visiting each other in their own 'habitat' is a great idea.

I don't care how well you think you know each other - you don't. I 'dated' my wife online for a while before we met in person, and we only spent about a month physically together before getting married, even though we felt as you did. Looking back, I realise that it was a crazy thing to do and we are lucky as can be that it's worked out well.

By the prior responses in this thread, however, I don't think anyone is going to tell you two anything on this subject that you will seriously take on board.

I hope it works out for you.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Nov 10th 2009 at 1:02 am.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 4:19 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

5555555555555 you and 10 % of the US workforce that's currently unemployed and also looking for work. Not counting the underemployed and those who have given up.

Haven't even met her in person yet, eh? No wonder this thread has grown to 7 pages so fast.

Regards, JEff

Well I have a GNVQ business intermediate, Data communications and networking certificate, PC support unit of credit and like 7 years of admin experience and around 7years of retail experience.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

TAJ4Life is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

What sort of fees are involved in getting a Visa? How much are they as I have totally overlooked the costs involved.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

What sort of fees are involved in getting a Visa? How much are they as I have totally overlooked the costs involved.
Dude, you're on the internet all day and you've not come across google yet?

Let me look for you.......
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't think it would be free, did you?

In case you didn't notice, my costs are listed in a post which is linked to in my signature. Costs for CR-1 and IR-1 are the same (as far as you getting into the country).
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

If you budget about $2,000 for everything, you'll be OK.

Rene
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you budget about $2,000 for everything, you'll be OK.

Rene

And that is only part of it. For the K-1 and then the adjustment of status it is going to cost you about $3,500 - $4,000.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
And that is only part of it. For the K-1 and then the adjustment of status it is going to cost you about $3,500 - $4,000.
Rete is right. I quoted you a budget of around $2,000 just to obtain the K-1 visa. Once you are in the USA and have to adjust status to permanent resident, you can budget another $1,200 or so.

Rene
Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:11 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
My girlfriend lives in the USA and is currently not working and I am in the UK not working at present either after having lost my job.....I have some qualifications and lots of experience in like Admin so I know I should be capable of getting work.
Leaving all the visa bits aside, as others have cautioned this sort of relationship can be very hard on a couple. So, perhaps while going through the visa process you should focus on the employment issue.

You say earlier that you have 14 years experience, and are 28. I'm not sure how that all adds up. Sums aside, you are probably going to find it really, really hard to find a job. There are people with Masters degrees and masses of experience sitting at home wondering where their next paycheck is coming from.

If you are going to go through with this relationship then it is never too early to start thinking about employment. Income!! Perhaps your GF can start exploring the local job market? Maybe you can use the months of the visa process to do something to make yourself more employable? Do not for one minute think that getting work here is easy - and I don't see it being any easier in 6-8 months time.

Good luck - the hard work starts now!
Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Rete is right. I quoted you a budget of around $2,000 just to obtain the K-1 visa. Once you are in the USA and have to adjust status to permanent resident, you can budget another $1,200 or so.

Rene
Hi,

Am a little confused then as looked at google for costs but they are still a little vague but from what I could see of the costs I didnt see figures amounting to $2000 or even more than that kinda left me scratching my head a little
Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Am a little confused then as looked at google for costs but they are still a little vague but from what I could see of the costs I didnt see figures amounting to $2000 or even more than that kinda left me scratching my head a little

Bookmark the US Consulate - London website http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...interview.html and the USCIS www.uscis.gov

There is the fee for the I-129F ($455); visa fee at the US Consulate ($131); courier fee at the US Consulate ($14.00); fee for the police clearance certificate; miscellaneous costs, i.e. postage, copying, photographs, etc.; travel expenses. Yes, it is not $2,000 out and out but when everything is added it is around $1,000 or so.

Then in the US for the adjustment of status is very expensive ($1,010) just for the filing fees; cost for the supplemental medical; etc.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 11th 2009 at 1:41 pm. Reason: Additions
Old Nov 11th 2009, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
There is the fee for the I-129F ($455); visa fee at the US Consulate ($131); courier fee at the US Consulate ($14.00); fee for the police clearance certificate; miscellaneous costs, i.e. postage, copying, photographs, etc.; travel expenses. Yes, it is not $2,000 out and out but when everything is added it is around $1,000 or so.
And don't forget the full medical exam for the visa...that is one of the bigger chunks of expense during the visa phase.

Then in the US for the adjustment of status is very expensive ($1,010) just for the filing fees; cost for the supplemental medical; etc.
Exactly. Travel to and from the office for your AOS interview, if you live far from it, etc.

We were quoting you on the high end of things.

Rene
Old Nov 12th 2009, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Do I still need a Visa for going to the USA for 2 weeks? Also if I have to see a person in the embassy how much would that be?
Old Nov 12th 2009, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you have done now just have to wait said it could not determine it straight away so have to wait up to 72hrs *fingers crossed* so once it is determined what do i need to do next? Am sorry I am very new to all this and you have been extremely helpful.
Once the visa Waiver is approved, which you state you are waiting for, print it out and then you can go to the USA on holiday, you will not be allowed to enter without it, don't even think about booking flights etc until you have it.

Why would you need an appointment at the Embassy?

Tracey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.