Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Old Jan 11th 2006, 1:23 am
  #61  
 
meauxna's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 35,082
meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by eggie
I am new to all this, I will admit it freely, but I just spoke to someone who said that this is a ligitimate site? How should he have applied for his Green Card? or should I say how should he?
Applying for the Lottery is not the same as applying for a Green Card, fyi.

All he did was (maybe) throw his hat in the ring at a chance to be allowed to apply for a Green Card.
Fiance or Spouse of a USC is more of a sure thing, as far as getting permission to apply for a Green Card.
meauxna is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 1:39 am
  #62  
Banned
 
Matthew Udall's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 3,825
Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by fatbrit
LOL. A legitimate site with some illegitimate people on it, may be!

He could certainly have applied for the Diversity Visa lottery assuming he was eligible -- it's a great way in! But the place to apply is here: http://www.dvlottery.state.gov/, not one of the many scam sites. There may be a new one later this year if Congress don't kill it. But it's hardly a plan if you want to live together.

All the marriage/fiance visas can lead to a green card eventually, and even citizenship. And really the most interesting thing for you given your less-than-happy financial state would be to ask how quickly each of the paths leads to work authorization, be it with or without the green card. But they all have different ways of doing it.
While I agree that someone can submit their own DV entry, what makes you think others who provide that service are scamming people? There are thousands of people each year who make mistakes on their entries, and perhaps some of these “scammers” catch these mistakes, contact the person before making the submission, make the correction and get in submitted correctly. Granted, its not hard work but if they provide a service I don’t see how that makes someone a scammer.

One thing I always do wonder about the lottery assistance sites though, is what they do for people who indicate they are currently in the U.S? If someone is an overstay, they can’t adjust from within the U.S. and would have to consular process abroad. And some of these people might find out they are subject to a 3 or 10 year ban once they depart the U.S. with the idea of consular processing.

If “I” were helping people enter, I’d be sure to contact each entrant who listed a U.S. address to check this out (and tell them not to bother entering and send them their money back if the facts suggest being selected won’t help them achieve their goal… basically doing a free consultation for them). I’d probably also put questions on my form to find out if the person has ever been to the U.S. (when they list a foreign address), what visa they used, when their authorized stay expired and when they departed. To keep the fee and enter them if I thought they were not eligible for AOS or a DV, in my book, would be the same thing as stealing from someone (and actually much worse than just stealing since I would know that person would be tempted to depart the U.S. for a quick trip abroad to process the DV only to find out they are banned from the U.S….. that’s the sort of shoddy work I’d expect from a prolific hobbyist :-). But if I analyzed their facts and determined they could adjust or get a DV if being selected with a high enough rank number and did the work properly for them, would that make me a scammer?

Maybe the site you refer to as a scam site covers their tail with their statement that all those who enter must be eligible to obtain permanent resident status under section 245. And I don’t suppose they really “could” contact those listing a U.S. address to check this out because if they did and rendered an opinion well…. lets you and I chant it together now…. That’s UPL!

It’s been a heck of a long time since I looked at the lottery rules and regulations so I’m likely wrong about this; but doesn’t the sponsorship requirement not apply to DV “winners” (to those selected with high enough rank numbers to actually be able to file for AOS or a DV)? The sponsorship aspect seems to be one of the OP’s stumbling blocks.

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Jan 11th 2006 at 1:59 am.
Matthew Udall is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:44 am
  #63  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 38,865
ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by eggie
The man I love was just sent back to Belfast (B-2 Visitor Renewal Visa was denied).
Boy... that sucks!

So... let me see if I have this correct. You are a single mother of two, a full-time student, with part-time employment, you rent, you have very little money, your kids need to be fed, everyone you know is retired or poor, the man you love lives in Belfast, he has limited finances, he has a... um... poor history vis-a-vis immigration... and your overriding concern is where and when should you marry?

Thanks for the entertainment!

Ian
ian-mstm is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:47 am
  #64  
Septicity
 
fatbrit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 23,762
fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
While I agree that someone can submit their own DV entry, what makes you think others who provide that service are scamming people? There are thousands of people each year who make mistakes on their entries, and perhaps some of these “scammers” catch these mistakes, contact the person before making the submission, make the correction and get in submitted correctly. Granted, its not hard work but if they provide a service I don’t see how that makes someone a scammer.

One thing I always do wonder about the lottery assistance sites though, is what they do for people who indicate they are currently in the U.S? If someone is an overstay, they can’t adjust from within the U.S. and would have to consular process abroad. And some of these people might find out they are subject to a 3 or 10 year ban once they depart the U.S. with the idea of consular processing.

If “I” were helping people enter, I’d be sure to contact each entrant who listed a U.S. address to check this out (and tell them not to bother entering and send them their money back if the facts suggest being selected won’t help them achieve their goal… basically doing a free consultation for them). I’d probably also put questions on my form to find out if the person has ever been to the U.S. (when they list a foreign address), what visa they used, when their authorized stay expired and when they departed. To keep the fee and enter them if I thought they were not eligible for AOS or a DV, in my book, would be the same thing as stealing from someone (and actually much worse than just stealing since I would know that person would be tempted to depart the U.S. for a quick trip abroad to process the DV only to find out they are banned from the U.S….. that’s the sort of shoddy work I’d expect from a prolific hobbyist :-). But if I analyzed their facts and determined they could adjust or get a DV if being selected with a high enough rank number and did the work properly for them, would that make me a scammer?

Maybe the site you refer to as a scam site covers their tail with their statement that all those who enter must be eligible to obtain permanent resident status under section 245. And I don’t suppose they really “could” contact those listing a U.S. address to check this out because if they did and rendered an opinion well…. lets you and I chant it together now…. That’s UPL!

It’s been a heck of a long time since I looked at the lottery rules and regulations so I’m likely wrong about this; but doesn’t the sponsorship requirement not apply to DV “winners” (to those selected with high enough rank numbers to actually be able to file for AOS or a DV)? The sponsorship aspect seems to be one of the OP’s stumbling blocks.
Matt -- you're getting very boring. If you want to help the distressed OP on this thread with some useful info or direction, why don't you do it?

If you want to rant about your favourite hobby horse, go and find somebody who is interested.

If you piss me off enough tonight, I might just email her and tell her about a method available that probably won't be discussed here but that might be the solution to all her problems!

Last edited by fatbrit; Jan 11th 2006 at 2:50 am.
fatbrit is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:52 am
  #65  
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW
 
Hypertweeky's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,476
Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Matt -- you're getting very boring. If you want to help the distressed OP on this thread with some useful info or direction, why don't you do it?

If you want to rant about your favourite hobby horse, go and find somebody who is interested.

If you piss me off enough tonight, I might just email her and tell her about a method available that probably won't be discussed here but that might be the solution to all her problems!
hahahaha
Hypertweeky is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:55 am
  #66  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 30
eggie has a spectacular aura abouteggie has a spectacular aura abouteggie has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Boy... that sucks!

So... let me see if I have this correct. You are a single mother of two, a full-time student, with part-time employment, you rent, you have very little money, your kids need to be fed, everyone you know is retired or poor, the man you love lives in Belfast, he has limited finances, he has a... um... poor history vis-a-vis immigration... and your overriding concern is where and when should you marry?

Thanks for the entertainment!

Ian
You know.......I sort of think life kicks people some times, I am not sure why some feel it is necessary to be unkind? I came on, asked advice, have gotten a lot of caring people giving me good advice and helpful links, your thread was just cold. Read a book if you need entertainment, but please don't kick someone while they are down.
eggie is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:04 am
  #67  
 
meauxna's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 35,082
meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by eggie
You know.......I sort of think life kicks people some times, I am not sure why some feel it is necessary to be unkind? I came on, asked advice, have gotten a lot of caring people giving me good advice and helpful links, your thread was just cold. Read a book if you need entertainment, but please don't kick someone while they are down.
eggie, Ian's part of the package. If everyone were nice, what kind of internet would this be, anyway?
To save your spleen, my advice is, if it don't sit right, don't take it on board. I'm 90% certain that you won't change his ways & that the only thing you can control is your own behavior and reactions.

You are in a tough spot, it sounds like you and your intended made some bad decisions and you might not get the result you want (still not clear on what that is!) in the timeframe you want. All you can do now is work with what you've got.

Where did your BF work while he was in the States?
meauxna is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:10 am
  #68  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 38,865
ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by eggie
... please don't kick someone while they are down.
Why exactly do you want to marry? Is it for financial stability? A father figure in the home for your children? Stability in your life? Companionship? Why? Why the sudden urge... no... the sudden desperation to marry - as though marriage will solve all of your issues?

I'm not unnecessarily mean, although I don't call myself a sanctimonious prick for nothing, but I call a spade a spade... and you seem to have your priorities a little twisted!

Ian
ian-mstm is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:20 am
  #69  
Septicity
 
fatbrit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 23,762
fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by eggie
You know.......I sort of think life kicks people some times, I am not sure why some feel it is necessary to be unkind? I came on, asked advice, have gotten a lot of caring people giving me good advice and helpful links, your thread was just cold. Read a book if you need entertainment, but please don't kick someone while they are down.

Ignore Ian. He's okay when you get used to it. There's a heart in there somewhere?

Okay -- say you're marrying and you want him over here since I presume the kiddie problem is insurmountable. How do you intend to do it?

You can marry over there or over here.
You may be separated for some time as you need to do the paperwork and wait for your inefficient government.
You need to overcome the financial hurdles.
There are many methods documented at visajourney.com. Which are you leaning towards? Come and tell us when you've chosen and you'll get lots of good advice over here and even a touch of ribbing.
fatbrit is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:30 am
  #70  
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW
 
Hypertweeky's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,476
Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Ignore Ian. He's okay when you get used to it. There's a heart in there somewhere?

Okay -- say you're marrying and you want him over here since I presume the kiddie problem is insurmountable. How do you intend to do it?

You can marry over there or over here.
You may be separated for some time as you need to do the paperwork and wait for your inefficient government.
You need to overcome the financial hurdles.
There are many methods documented at visajourney.com. Which are you leaning towards? Come and tell us when you've chosen and you'll get lots of good advice over here and even a touch of ribbing.
I didn't know Ian was an "IT"
Hypertweeky is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:34 am
  #71  
Banned
 
Matthew Udall's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 3,825
Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Matt -- you're getting very boring. If you want to help the distressed OP on this thread with some useful info or direction, why don't you do it?

If you piss me off enough tonight, I might just email her and tell her about a method available that probably won't be discussed here but that might be the solution to all her problems!
You don’t have to read my posts. As far as “distressing” the OP, I think you have that covered pretty well with your snappy knee-jerk characterization that the outfit she went to for help was “scamming” her. For all I know, they provided her with a quality service. And I took the time to point that out to her (with general information).

As far as what you do back channel, I assume you are a big boy (although I do wonder about that sometimes) and can do what you want. Be careful though, big brother might be watching. And please do Paul and Sue a favor and if you engage in illegal activity, please keep it out of the BE network (their PM method). I obviously can’t speak for them, but I’ll bet they would appreciate that.

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Jan 11th 2006 at 3:41 am.
Matthew Udall is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:35 am
  #72  
Septicity
 
fatbrit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 23,762
fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
You don’t have to read my posts. As far as “distressing” the OP, I think you have that covered pretty well with your snappy knee-jerk characterization that the outfit she went to for help was “scamming” her. For all I know, they provided her with a quality service. And I took the time to point that out to her.

As far as what you do back channel, I assume you are a big boy (although I do wonder about that sometimes) and can do what you want. Be careful though, big brother might be watching. And please do Paul and Sue a favor and if you engage in illegal activity, please keep it out of the BE network (their PM method). I obviously can’t speak for them, but I’ll bet they would appreciate that.
<Yawn!>
fatbrit is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:39 am
  #73  
Banned
 
Matthew Udall's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 3,825
Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by fatbrit
<Yawn!>
Like a puppet on a string ;-).
Matthew Udall is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 4:00 am
  #74  
Septicity
 
fatbrit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 23,762
fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
Like a puppet on a string ;-).

Not at all -- since you ask!

Are you going to provide your wisdom and guidance for the OP or just carry on with your pointless and stupid rant?

Who knows, if you impress she might even hire you?
fatbrit is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 4:10 am
  #75  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 96
Scarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of lightScarlett2004 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

I'm sorry but there are a couple of things I don't understand about your situation. You say he had the visitor visa before you met him so you don't know why he got it instead of using visa waiver. Does that mean you have only known him a few weeks? Also, you have talked about your dire financial situation and yet you are also talking about going to Belfast to get married. Where will you get the money for the plane ticket, etc.?

Something just sounds a little off--it is obvious that he is very anxious to get a green card and it sounds like this was his plan before you even met him. I guess I am a little cynical but I might be a little suspicious and want to know someone a little longer before marrying him.
Scarlett2004 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.