Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:38 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 30
eggie has a spectacular aura abouteggie has a spectacular aura abouteggie has a spectacular aura about
Default Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

The man I love was just sent back to Belfast (B-2 Visitor Renewal Visa was denied). He has applied for a Green Card but we have not heard anything yet. We would like to marry but I am a single mother and full time student. We are getting mixed reports about if I would have to prove financial support in order for us to marry? Can he show bank records and prove he can support himself for 90 days and that suffice in order for us to get a Fiance Visa? Does anyone know if we marry in Belfast if I have to have an Affidavit of Support after marriage? Would it be better for us to marry in Belfast or America? Any advise would be wonderful. We have looked into a work visa and a student visa and neither of those will work.
eggie is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:45 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Carl's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 99
Carl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by eggie
The man I love was just sent back to Belfast (B-2 Visitor Renewal Visa was denied). He has applied for a Green Card but we have not heard anything yet. We would like to marry but I am a single mother and full time student. We are getting mixed reports about if I would have to prove financial support in order for us to marry? Can he show bank records and prove he can support himself for 90 days and that suffice in order for us to get a Fiance Visa? Does anyone know if we marry in Belfast if I have to have an Affidavit of Support after marriage? Would it be better for us to marry in Belfast or America? Any advise would be wonderful. We have looked into a work visa and a student visa and neither of those will work.
My advice - move to Belfast.
Carl is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:47 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 30
eggie has a spectacular aura abouteggie has a spectacular aura abouteggie has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by Carl
My advice - move to Belfast.
Do you have any advice that I can actually use......my ex-husband will never let the children out of the country and he will have to sign for their passports.
eggie is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:49 pm
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: mid-west
Posts: 413
MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by eggie
The man I love was just sent back to Belfast (B-2 Visitor Renewal Visa was denied). He has applied for a Green Card but we have not heard anything yet. We would like to marry but I am a single mother and full time student. We are getting mixed reports about if I would have to prove financial support in order for us to marry? Can he show bank records and prove he can support himself for 90 days and that suffice in order for us to get a Fiance Visa? Does anyone know if we marry in Belfast if I have to have an Affidavit of Support after marriage? Would it be better for us to marry in Belfast or America? Any advise would be wonderful. We have looked into a work visa and a student visa and neither of those will work.
He cannot sponsor himself initially on K1 Visa (I think after 6 months its ok). You would have to sponsor him, though if you do not meet the salary requirement you can do a joint sponsor (s).

The whole process takes about a year....no short cuts available unfortauntly.
MrDub is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:53 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 30
eggie has a spectacular aura abouteggie has a spectacular aura abouteggie has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by MrDub
He cannot sponsor himself initially on K1 Visa (I think after 6 months its ok). You would have to sponsor him, though if you do not meet the salary requirement you can do a joint sponsor (s).

The whole process takes about a year....no short cuts available unfortauntly.
What about if we married first and the applied for a K-3 Visa?
eggie is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:59 pm
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: mid-west
Posts: 413
MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by eggie
What about if we married first and the applied for a K-3 Visa?
I think a better idea (I went the K1 route). I think the actually processing time is not too different but when your then husband moves to the US he will have a lot less issues to deal with here. (PS my time line is based upon 2 years ago)
MrDub is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:01 pm
  #7  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,280
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by eggie
What about if we married first and the applied for a K-3 Visa?
Hi eggie,

Both the fiance and the spouse visas need the USC to prove 125% of the minimum poverty amount, either through income or assets. The guideline is here: http://www.nilc.org/immlawpolicy/pubchg/pubchg008.htm

For the fiance visa, he *might* be able to self-sponsor, you'll have to check with the requirements of the embassy in Belfast. London allows it, but it's rare.

If you don't meet the requirements, you can get a joint sponsor to help you. They must meet the financial requirements for their family size plus the immigrant.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Noorah101 is online now  
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:02 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 30
eggie has a spectacular aura abouteggie has a spectacular aura abouteggie has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by MrDub
I think a better idea (I went the K1 route). I think the actually processing time is not too different but when your then husband moves to the US he will have a lot less issues to deal with here. (PS my time line is based upon 2 years ago)
I'm sorry to be obtuse, you think it would be better to apply for the K1 or marry and then apply for the K3?
eggie is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:05 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 281
jeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud of
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by eggie
The man I love was just sent back to Belfast (B-2 Visitor Renewal Visa was denied). He has applied for a Green Card but we have not heard anything yet. We would like to marry but I am a single mother and full time student. We are getting mixed reports about if I would have to prove financial support in order for us to marry? Can he show bank records and prove he can support himself for 90 days and that suffice in order for us to get a Fiance Visa? Does anyone know if we marry in Belfast if I have to have an Affidavit of Support after marriage? Would it be better for us to marry in Belfast or America? Any advise would be wonderful. We have looked into a work visa and a student visa and neither of those will work.
Hi!

My husband moved here from Belfast in 2002. We were married in the US in April 2002 and adjusted his status from there. He was just visiting on his Visa Waiver and we decided to get married! So, my situation is a little different from yours, but I wanted to say hi since we both will have husbands from the same city!

Do you have a parent that can fill out the Affidavit of Support on behalf of your fiance? I was laid-off at the time so my father filled out the Affidavit of Support.

Have you considered applying for the Fiance's Visa?

I'm sorry that I don't really have any answers, but I'm sure that the wonderful people of this group will offer their expertise.

Best of luck to you! It's a long, hard road any way you look at it, but in the end it's all worth it!

We've recently submitted the N-400 and are patiently waiting.

Jen
jeninifer is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:08 pm
  #10  
Septicity
 
fatbrit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 23,762
fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by eggie
The man I love was just sent back to Belfast (B-2 Visitor Renewal Visa was denied). He has applied for a Green Card but we have not heard anything yet. We would like to marry but I am a single mother and full time student. We are getting mixed reports about if I would have to prove financial support in order for us to marry? Can he show bank records and prove he can support himself for 90 days and that suffice in order for us to get a Fiance Visa? Does anyone know if we marry in Belfast if I have to have an Affidavit of Support after marriage? Would it be better for us to marry in Belfast or America? Any advise would be wonderful. We have looked into a work visa and a student visa and neither of those will work.
How did he "apply for a Green Card"?

Who sent him back?

You don't need to prove any financial aspects to marry, although most jurisdictions will, I'm sure, charge you some sort of a fee. AFAIK, most governments still allow poor people to marry.

Don't believe that USCIS has a requirement that you need to show funds to support yourself for 90 days on any of the marriage/fiancee visas. They do have financial requirements for visas, but these are not them.

You seem to have no understanding of the processes involved whatsoever. You would be better investigating the FAQs on Visajourney.com before asking such open-ended questions.

On your question of whether it would be easier to marry in Belfast or the US, I would suggest Belfast since he has already it would seem possibly raised red flags for his entrance to the US if you were intending to marry over here. But getting married is not your problem; securing a suitable method for him to live here with you in the US would seem to be the crux of the problem.
fatbrit is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:09 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 30
eggie has a spectacular aura abouteggie has a spectacular aura abouteggie has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by jeninifer
Hi!

My husband moved here from Belfast in 2002. We were married in the US in April 2002 and adjusted his status from there. He was just visiting on his Visa Waiver and we decided to get married! So, my situation is a little different from yours, but I wanted to say hi since we both will have husbands from the same city!

Do you have a parent that can fill out the Affidavit of Support on behalf of your fiance? I was laid-off at the time so my father filled out the Affidavit of Support.

Have you considered applying for the Fiance's Visa?

I'm sorry that I don't really have any answers, but I'm sure that the wonderful people of this group will offer their expertise.

Best of luck to you! It's a long, hard road any way you look at it, but in the end it's all worth it!

We've recently submitted the N-400 and are patiently waiting.

Jen
Jen
Thank you for your kind words. My parents have both retired so I don't think they are an option. He has a sister here, but she also makes very little money.
eggie is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:11 pm
  #12  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,280
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by eggie
Jen
Thank you for your kind words. My parents have both retired so I don't think they are an option. He has a sister here, but she also makes very little money.
Retirement income is allowed. Look at the link I sent you, and see if they qualify for a family of 3 (assuming they are not financially responsible for anyone else).

His sister can only do it if she is a PR or Citizen.

I'm also curious how your man applied for a green card?

Rene
Noorah101 is online now  
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:15 pm
  #13  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,280
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Here's a good link to get you started learning about the process and your options:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164511

Rene
Noorah101 is online now  
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:16 pm
  #14  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 30
eggie has a spectacular aura abouteggie has a spectacular aura abouteggie has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by fatbrit
How did he "apply for a Green Card"?

Who sent him back?

You don't need to prove any financial aspects to marry, although most jurisdictions will, I'm sure, charge you some sort of a fee. AFAIK, most governments still allow poor people to marry.

Don't believe that USCIS has a requirement that you need to show funds to support yourself for 90 days on any of the marriage/fiancee visas. They do have financial requirements for visas, but these are not them.

You seem to have no understanding of the processes involved whatsoever. You would be better investigating the FAQs on Visajourney.com before asking such open-ended questions.

On your question of whether it would be easier to marry in Belfast or the US, I would suggest Belfast since he has already it would seem possibly raised red flags for his entrance to the US if you were intending to marry over here. But getting married is not your problem; securing a suitable method for him to live here with you in the US would seem to be the crux of the problem.
My word........My confusion is because we have gotten very mixed stories from different sources, not because of my lack of understanding of the processes involved. Thank you so much for your kindness however. As a matter a fact getting married is one of our problems because we would like to do everything the correct way and not hold things up any further. My "open-ended" questions have delivered some responses that have been helpful to me. And finally the American Government, specifically Immigration Services sent him back.
eggie is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:23 pm
  #15  
Septicity
 
fatbrit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 23,762
fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to Marry a Man from Belfast

Originally Posted by eggie
My word........My confusion is because we have gotten very mixed stories from different sources, not because of my lack of understanding of the processes involved. Thank you so much for your kindness however. As a matter a fact getting married is one of our problems because we would like to do everything the correct way and not hold things up any further. My "open-ended" questions have delivered some responses that have been helpful to me. And finally the American Government, specifically Immigration Services sent him back.
How did they send him back? Has he got a ban? Did they cancel his visa? Did they make annotations in his passport? This may be important for your future plans.

Also, you didn't answer the question about "apply for the GC". This part of your post I just didn't understand and you may have done things that also have future consequences. I was also confused about why he had a B-2 visa -- it is unusual for these to be issued to UK citizens.

Also, while we're there...
Does he have any criminal record whatsoever and where ever?
Has he got any significant medical problems?
Does he work? Retired? Or what? Does he have capital? Own a house?
fatbrit is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.