Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Want to file for citizenship - but I am divorced?!?

Wikiposts

Want to file for citizenship - but I am divorced?!?

Old Nov 20th 2004, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

SDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really nice
Unhappy Want to file for citizenship - but I am divorced?!?

Okay, I am not sure if anyone knows, but its worth a try!

I have been a permanent resident of the states for ten years and have lived in the US all that time. I got my green card through marriage. We were only married for two years and we got a divorce. Here is my problem....

I want to apply for citizenship, but noticed on the document list that if filing on the basis of marriage (which I guess I am, that is how I got my residency) I need to submit my spouses (ex spouse in my case) birth certificate, our marriage certificate and another document... Firstly, I am no longer in contact with him and do not know where he lives, and secondly, we got married in this tiny little court house somewhere out in the sticks in Greece. Theres no way I can get the marriage certificate. The only thing I can get a certified copy of is the divorce cert.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation, and do I really need to submit these documents if I have been divorced for eight years!?

Thanks!
Old Nov 20th 2004, 4:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to file for citizenship - but I am divorced?!?

You would not be filing for naturalization based on marriage to a USC. That is how you may have obtained your residency. However, naturalization eligibility based on marriage to a USC means you are eligible to apply three years (less 90 days) from the date you became a USC and must still be married and living with the USC spouse. Since you have had your green card for over five years (10 as per your statement) you are eligible to apply for naturalization based on that fact.

Rete

Originally Posted by SDER
Okay, I am not sure if anyone knows, but its worth a try!

I have been a permanent resident of the states for ten years and have lived in the US all that time. I got my green card through marriage. We were only married for two years and we got a divorce. Here is my problem....

I want to apply for citizenship, but noticed on the document list that if filing on the basis of marriage (which I guess I am, that is how I got my residency) I need to submit my spouses (ex spouse in my case) birth certificate, our marriage certificate and another document... Firstly, I am no longer in contact with him and do not know where he lives, and secondly, we got married in this tiny little court house somewhere out in the sticks in Greece. Theres no way I can get the marriage certificate. The only thing I can get a certified copy of is the divorce cert.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation, and do I really need to submit these documents if I have been divorced for eight years!?

Thanks!
Old Nov 21st 2004, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

SDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really nice
Smile Re: Want to file for citizenship - but I am divorced?!?

Originally Posted by Rete
You would not be filing for naturalization based on marriage to a USC. That is how you may have obtained your residency. However, naturalization eligibility based on marriage to a USC means you are eligible to apply three years (less 90 days) from the date you became a USC and must still be married and living with the USC spouse. Since you have had your green card for over five years (10 as per your statement) you are eligible to apply for naturalization based on that fact.

Rete
THANK YOU!!!! You have made me feel a great sense of relief!!!! I can now apply for citizenship!!!
I am so glad that I dont need to submit my ex-spouses documents, as this would most definitely prevent me from applying.
Just out of interest, would you know what documents I would need to submit based on my history of being in the US?
Old Nov 21st 2004, 4:55 am
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SDER
THANK YOU!!!! You have made me feel a great sense of relief!!!! I can now apply for citizenship!!!
I am so glad that I dont need to submit my ex-spouses documents, as this would most definitely prevent me from applying.
Just out of interest, would you know what documents I would need to submit based on my history of being in the US?
http://uscis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/handbook/m618-7.pdf
http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/f...s/n-400ins.pdf
http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/f...iles/N-400.pdf
Old Jan 16th 2005, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete

Rete
I have just received the notice of action, saying that they have received my application. However, they are saying that i am missing evidence. What could that evidence be as there was nothing in the instructions that said I needed to include anything. Do you thing that they will be asking for my ex husbands birth certificate or marriage certificate. The reason I ask is that it was mentioned in the interview letter from the first time I applied. If so, there is no way I can get this as I dont know where my ex lives.
Also, why cant they tell me what the required evidence is, rather than saying that they are missing "something"
Thanks!
Old Jan 19th 2005, 8:19 am
amanda992004

Look, at this point, it's been more than 5 years you've been a GC
holder and hence you don't need anything related to your ex-husband to
apply for citizenship.

Whatever your missed as supporting document would eb xomehting other
than your ex-hubby's stuff. Find out. You seem confused. Get a
lawyer to do it on behalf.

Old Jan 19th 2005, 8:20 am
amanda992004

apply for citizenship.

lawyer to do it on your behalf.

Old Jan 19th 2005, 8:20 am
amanda992004

apply for citizenship.

lawyer to do it on your behalf.