VWP question/flight question

Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:48 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VWP question/flight question

They aren't allowed to (some do anyway) limit VWP to less than 90 days with two exceptions:

1) The person's passport expires in less than 90 days.

2) The person only departed the US to contiguous territory or adjacent islands. In this case, the person is often readmitted for the remainder of the 90 days they received at their initial entry.

@usanewlife: On the occassion they limited you, where were you returning to the US from?

To answer the OP: Changing flight dates can come back to bite you. If you show them tickets for 2 weeks and then change them to 89 days, don't expect them to believe you when you show them 2 week tickets on subsequent trips. They may assume you planned to stay 89 days all along, and will do so again. You may end up squandering all of your credibility.

Last edited by crg; Feb 6th 2011 at 2:51 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 3:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
Changing flight dates can come back to bite you.
Agreed... for about 1% of VWP travellers among the many thousands of VWP travellers.

If you show them tickets for 2 weeks and then change them to 89 days, don't expect them to believe you when you show them 2 week tickets on subsequent trips. They may assume you planned to stay 89 days all along, and will do so again.
I'll admit that the possibility of this happening is greater than 0%, but DHS has neither the time nor the resources to cross check ticket dates with entry stamps.

Geez... and I thought I was an alarmist! You've raised the bar, my friend.

Ian
Old Feb 6th 2011, 3:43 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Agreed... for about 1% of VWP travellers among the many thousands of VWP travellers.

I'll admit that the possibility of this happening is greater than 0%, but DHS has neither the time nor the resources to cross check ticket dates with entry stamps.

Geez... and I thought I was an alarmist! You've raised the bar, my friend.

Ian
When did I say they would do this for all travelers? However if he ends up in the back and they are concerned about his travel, waving 2 week tickets in the guard's face isn't going to carry much weight when the person is known to routinely change their tickets from 2 weeks to 89 days. You need to read between the lines on the OP's post. He might as well have said "will I get in trouble if I am planning to stay for 2.5 months, but just buy 2 week tickets to avoid a lot of questions about what I'm going to be doing and change them later?".

Last edited by crg; Feb 6th 2011 at 3:50 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

usanewlife is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crg
@usanewlife: On the occassion they limited you, where were you returning to the US from?
I was returning to the UK.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 3:53 pm
crg
American Expat

Originally Posted by usanewlife
I was returning to the UK.
Hi,

What was the itinerary for both trips? UK -> US -> UK -> US -> UK? Or something like UK-> US -> Mexico -> US -> UK ?
Old Feb 6th 2011, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crg
When did I say they would do this for all travelers? However if he ends up in the back and they are concerned about his travel, waving 2 week tickets in the guard's face isn't going to carry much weight when the person is known to routinely change their tickets from 2 weeks to 89 days. You need to read between the lines on the OP's post. He might as well have said "will I get in trouble if I am planning to stay for 2.5 months, but just buy 2 week tickets to avoid a lot of questions about what I'm going to be doing and change them later?".
I did that, admittedly only once.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crg
Hi,

What was the itinerary for both trips? UK -> US -> UK -> US -> UK? Or something like UK-> US -> Mexico -> US -> UK ?
I travelled between UK and US. I never over stayed.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 4:11 pm
crg
American Expat

I travelled between UK and US. I never over stayed.
Then they were supposed to give you a new 90 days at each entry.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crg
Then they were supposed to give you a new 90 days at each entry.
Oh really! I never knew that. If the CBPO at PoE had concerns about my trip, then perhaps they should have taken me to secondary.

As mentioned in other threads, everyone has a different experience when entering the US and this is food for thought to the OP in this thread.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 4:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh really! I never knew that. If the CBPO at PoE had concerns about my trip, then perhaps they should have taken me to secondary.

As mentioned in other threads, everyone has a different experience when entering the US and this is food for thought to the OP in this thread.
The vast majority of entrants have a very similar experience.