British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   VWP overstayers removed. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/vwp-overstayers-removed-721747/)

Pookiedookie Jun 21st 2011 9:10 am

Re: VWP overstayers removed.

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 9447684)
Hmm, lot of people working the schadenfreude angle...

I wonder if their car was a rental? Why didn't they just deport them immediately?

I wouldn't wish incarceration in an American jail on anybody. Disease. Violence. No thanks.

Follow-up: Wow, there's some real FAIL in the comments section.

Hopping over to Canada in order to extend a US visa that is coming to an end is a common practice. On re-entry travellers apply for and are granted a new visa granting them a further three months. This couple did not do that and instead wrongly assumed it would be done automatically. Why they would think this escapes me. So from the moment they drove over the border back into the US they became illegal aliens. They were treated the same way as any other illegal aliens i.e. arrested, held in a detention centre for a number of weeks and then deported home. I fail to see the point of this story or why anyone should feel outraged on their behalf as they clearly failed to follow the current procedures and were punished as a consequence and ignorance can't be used as an excuse. I suspect when they lodge their complaint with the Foreign Office they will be told the same thing.

- Carlie , Bristol, 21/6/2011 5:40

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1PwURhnXV

How did they get through the immigration checkpoints at the canadian border without their passports being stamped and fingerprints being done and all that stuff?

lyonsden1193 Jun 21st 2011 9:16 am

I just wonder if this would have turned out this way if it had occured at the US/CAN border??

Octang Frye Jun 21st 2011 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Pookiedookie (Post 9447859)
How did they get through the immigration checkpoints at the canadian border without their passports being stamped and fingerprints being done and all that stuff?

Weren't they arrested in Texas? The thick plottens.

crg Jun 21st 2011 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 9447684)
Why didn't they just deport them immediately?

I wouldn't wish incarceration in an American jail on anybody. Disease. Violence. No thanks.

I suspect they couldn't be quickly deported because there aren't many direct flights from El Paso to London. They'd need to be physically transported by guards to an airport that had a direct flight. I imagine such guards are in high demand driving busloads of people south. There could also be a delay in getting them a travel document unless they had their's with them.

I doubt they were in a real jail either. There are detention facilities for immigration violators.

Originally Posted by Pookiedookie (Post 9447859)

If someone is within their 90 days they can be processed properly coming back from Canada but only be allowed to stay the remainder of the 90 days they were granted when they flew in. They could have assumed they received 90 more days, but that's often not the case.

I wonder what date their plane tickets had on it when they arrived. I bet they were trying to have a long trip (over 90) from the get go and couldn't be bothered with getting the visa they were supposed to have.