Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

VWP, overstayed by 8 days for emergency

VWP, overstayed by 8 days for emergency

Old Apr 30th 2014, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VWP, overstayed by 8 days for emergency

Originally Posted by crg
If it hits the fan at the border, they may opt to parole you in since it was a minor overstay and advise you to get a visa for the next trip.
My thoughts exactly.
Old May 1st 2014, 7:33 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
In the old days, the authorities could annotate the reverse of the I-94W to grant satisfactory departure. It's unclear what the process is now, but I doubt the benefit is granted telephonically. It's also unclear what a lawyer would do other than help write a letter to be used during a VWP entry attempt or a visa application since they generally don't represent someone during an inspection.

If it hits the fan at the border, they may opt to parole you in since it was a minor overstay and advise you to get a visa for the next trip.
Personally, I would travel and take my chances at the border. The worst is you get refused and have to get a B1/B2 back in London.
Old May 1st 2014, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Personally, I would travel and take my chances at the border. The worst is you get refused and have to get a B1/B2 back in London.
I guess if you're fine gambling the cost of an airfare then yes that is the worst that will happen.
Old May 1st 2014, 8:06 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawkini
I guess if you're fine gambling the cost of an airfare then yes that is the worst that will happen.
Agreed, there is a cost involved potentially if he isn't admitted, but at least he will be able to potentially get his boat and return to the UK to then apply for a B1/B2 visa for future trips.
Old May 1st 2014, 11:51 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh... definitely not the worst that could happen, but it's likely the worst that would happen. I'm not inclined to encourage someone to seek entry to the US who is likely not in possession of the required documents to be lawfully admitted.
Old May 2nd 2014, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

bruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura about

I would go for the visa in your situation. As a boat owner you would need the visa to enter the USA with your boat. You have a good reason to apply for a visa.