VWP and frequent visits

Old Mar 29th 2008, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

fluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nice
Default VWP and frequent visits

I saw a thread on here that worried me a little.
I have an American partner, it is early days yet and i plan to go over in July to Oregon for 90 days on VWP. From some of the threads it appears that 'the powers that be' frown upon long frequent stays? So, do I need to be worried if I am going back over for 90 days then maybe again in 6 months time for 90 days as well? Would it be wise to say (if questioned) that i am indeed visiting my partner? The relationship is in it's early days and i don't know where it is going at present, so any info would be great! Because technically I am allowed in the US for 90 days on VWP right so am not bending any rules? just that i read on a thread that officails become worried if u have 'frequent long stays'?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 3:15 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VWP and frequent visits

Originally Posted by fluxsta
I saw a thread on here that worried me a little.
I have an American partner, it is early days yet and i plan to go over in July to Oregon for 90 days on VWP. From some of the threads it appears that 'the powers that be' frown upon long frequent stays? So, do I need to be worried if I am going back over for 90 days then maybe again in 6 months time for 90 days as well? Would it be wise to say (if questioned) that i am indeed visiting my partner? The relationship is in it's early days and i don't know where it is going at present, so any info would be great! Because technically I am allowed in the US for 90 days on VWP right so am not bending any rules? just that i read on a thread that officails become worried if u have 'frequent long stays'?
You are "allowed" to visit for 90 days if they let you in. They will let you in provided you can prove that you are admissible to the US including that you have a foreign residence to return to, you don't intend to apply for a green card while in the US on that trip, and that you can afford to visit that long without working.

Long vacations can be an indicator of a lot of bad things, but the concerns can be overcome.

I'd be honest about the situation.

When they press the issue and you counter the evasive answer with "Well my spouse is my friend" they may be a bit pi$$ed. Half-truths and evasive answers like "visiting a friend" will peak their interest and erode your credibility. Many dishonest people say "friend" when they are visiting their partner and sometimes their spouse.

They may be concerned about you because of the long trips. Travel with bank statements, letter from employer stating you will return to work, mortgage or rental agreement, utility bills and anything else to prove that you must return foreign. You need to overcome the presumption of immigrant intent and prove that you're worthy to enter. It can be done.

The 90 day visit with 6 months in between isn't that bad when compared to some VWP abusers out there.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

fluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nice

Originally Posted by crg14624
You are "allowed" to visit for 90 days if they let you in. They will let you in provided you can prove that you are admissible to the US including that you have a foreign residence to return to, you don't intend to apply for a green card while in the US on that trip, and that you can afford to visit that long without working.

Long vacations can be an indicator of a lot of bad things, but the concerns can be overcome.

I'd be honest about the situation.

When they press the issue and you counter the evasive answer with "Well my spouse is my friend" they may be a bit pi$$ed. Half-truths and evasive answers like "visiting a friend" will peak their interest and erode your credibility. Many dishonest people say "friend" when they are visiting their partner and sometimes their spouse.

They may be concerned about you because of the long trips. Travel with bank statements, letter from employer stating you will return to work, mortgage or rental agreement, utility bills and anything else to prove that you must return foreign. You need to overcome the presumption of immigrant intent and prove that you're worthy to enter. It can be done.

The 90 day visit with 6 months in between isn't that bad when compared to some VWP abusers out there.
Hi, thanks. It definately makes sense to be honest that much is sure. I was travelling on VWP for the first time last year after finishing my Masters degree, and a well earned break was needed. That is when I met my girlfriend. I think that it pays (if questioned) to say that I am visiting my girlfriend. You mentioned 'green card', as far as I was aware it is not possible to change your status under the VWP, and you had to return to the UK anyway? myself and partner have discussed marriage, but only as a passing/ongoing joke.....as we are both part of the divorce club and certainly not eager to marry again quickly ,and also not for the purpose of being together 'easily'. It is just a shame that there is no provision for 'girlfriends/boyfriends' when considering immigration isn't it? It appears to me to be employer sponsorship or marriage as being a way of accessing a period living and working in the US.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 4:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Search in this forum under 10ft Pole.

Entering as a visitor the adjusting through marriage is quite popular.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler

you mean literally put '10ft pole' in the search terms? what do ya mean?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 4:59 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

That's exactly what he means.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

yes (wink wink) i understand now.....have done the necessary search
Old Mar 29th 2008, 5:24 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

People often adjust under the VWP, but only certain categories can do it like immediate family. It costs more, takes longer, and can create serious problems with the paperwork if you need to travel home in an emergency.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

I'd be honest about the situation. When they press the issue and you counter the evasive answer with "Well my spouse is my friend" they may be a bit pi$$ed. Half-truths and evasive answers like "visiting a friend" will peak their interest and erode your credibility. Many dishonest people say "friend" when they are visiting their partner and sometimes their spouse.

I'd agree with the second paragraph. However, I would not volunteer any relationship about a relationship at port of entry. If they think you are not travelling for tourist or business purposes, they may decide you have immigrant intent. If I was in your situation I would simply say I was travelling round the US or visiting friends.

As a general rule of thumb, spend more time out of the US than in it, and carry all the documentation described above
Old Mar 29th 2008, 2:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

People often adjust under the VWP, but only certain categories can do it like immediate family. It costs more, takes longer, and can create serious problems with the paperwork if you need to travel home in an emergency.
It would have been seriously cheaper for me.

And AP takes the same time to get as far as I know, whether you K or VWP.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:53 pm
crg
American Expat

I was comparing adjustment to an actual immigrant visa like a CR1 or an IR1. K-1 and K-3 are a royal pain.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

i am lost with all visa titles....what is AP? and CR or something? K and K1??could people on this site kindly make it all a little easier to understand for us lowly laypeople who are learning all about the process?
thanks in advance

Last edited by fluxsta; Mar 29th 2008 at 10:41 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:39 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

"10 foot pole" or "10-foot pole"
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:41 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

yes (wink wink) i understand now.....have done the necessary search
Hi:

The "wink wink" is quite obvious. The "visa waiver express" is quite popular. Its just that when it gets derailed, the results can be quite bad. It is also not recommend to be given the hint of recommending it.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

i am lost with all visa titles....what is AP? and CR or something? K and K1??could people on this site kindly make it all a little easier to understand for us lowly laypeople who are learning all about the process?
thanks in advance
AP = Advance Parole, it's the document you receive which allows you to re-enter the USA after a trip abroad, before you get your green card.

CR = Conditional Resident, it's the spousal immigrant visa classification you get if your marriage is less than 2 years old at the time of approval. If your marriage is 2+ years old, you get IR classification.

K = a type of non-immigrant visa.

K-1 = a non-immigrant fiance visa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.