Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

VWP Entry and Adjustment of Status

VWP Entry and Adjustment of Status

Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Shellytime is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: VWP Entry and Adjustment of Status

With a nice clear binder and individual page pockets to hold the required forms of evidence, I have the following ready to go:

I-130 (Filing fee is $420 in check #1)
• Copy of Marriage Certificate
• Passport photos X2 (petitioner)
• Passport photos X2 (Alien relative)
• G-325A for (petitioner)
• G-325A for (Alien relative)
• X2 Affidavit to confirm marriage
• G-1145
I-485 (Filing fee is $985 = $85 for Biometrics in check #2)
• Birth Certificate
• Copy of Passport pages with entry stamp
• Passport photos X2
• Medical Examination (included in Large envelope)
• G-325A
• G-1145
• I-864
1. Copy of 2010 Federal Tax Return and W2
2. Proof of US Citizenship: Copy of US Passport Biographic Page
I-131 (No fee when filed with I-485)
• Copy of Passport Identification page
• Passport photos X2
• G-1145
I-765 (No fee when filed with I-485)
• Passport photos X2
• G-1145
Also included are various photographs and a copy of my UK Visa for additional reference.

To be shipped to the USCIS Chicago location from the post office with expedited delivery tomorrow morning...

Does it sound like I missed anything?

Thanks,

Michelle
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:35 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellytime
With a nice clear binder and individual page pockets to hold the required forms of evidence,
Before mailing it off, take everything out of the page pockets, and out of the binder. Leave the pages loose (not in pockets). Just hold everything together with a big binder clip.

Seriously, USCIS does NOT like to dismantle binders, never mind take all that time to take all those pages out of the page pockets. Please make it easier for them to look at your paperwork, and leave it UNbound, with unprotected pages.

Rene
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:36 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like you're missing proof of current income.

Rene
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Ugh - when I did my UK Visa they requested it in binder form and it looks so pretty but I will take it apart...thank you for letting me know.

Proof of current income - I did not see a request for this anywhere (I probably missed it) but I did include my last two pay stubs... are there specific requirements for a particular form? Presumably the I-864?

Also, I have a contents cover page, but that's it... should the first form in the packet be something specific?
Old Jun 16th 2011, 10:07 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

With a nice clear binder and individual page pockets to hold the required forms of evidence, I have the following ready to go:

I-130 (Filing fee is $420 in check #1)
• Passport photos X2 (petitioner)
• Passport photos X2 (Alien relative)
• G-325A for (petitioner)
• G-325A for (Alien relative)
• X2 Affidavit to confirm marriage
• G-1145
I-485 (Filing fee is $985 = $85 for Biometrics in check #2)
• Birth Certificate
• Copy of Passport pages with entry stamp
• Passport photos X2
• Medical Examination (included in Large envelope)
• G-325A
• G-1145
• I-864
1. Copy of 2010 Federal Tax Return and W2
2. Proof of US Citizenship: Copy of US Passport Biographic Page
I-131 (No fee when filed with I-485)
• Copy of Passport Identification page
• Passport photos X2
• G-1145
I-765 (No fee when filed with I-485)
• Passport photos X2
• G-1145
Also included are various photographs and a copy of my UK Visa for additional reference.

To be shipped to the USCIS Chicago location from the post office with expedited delivery tomorrow morning...

Does it sound like I missed anything?

Thanks,

Michelle
Staples are wonderful little device for assembling documents. Also, remember that the US citizen is the "petitioner" on the I-130 and the alien is the "applicant" on everything else.

[As an aside, when the alien later does a FOIA/Privacy Act request for a copy of their own application, the information regarding the petitioning spouse is often redacted for her privacy. This has lead to some interesting moments in immigration court, but I really digress].
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:06 pm

Ugh - when I did my UK Visa they requested it in binder form and it looks so pretty but I will take it apart...thank you for letting me know.

Proof of current income - I did not see a request for this anywhere (I probably missed it) but I did include my last two pay stubs... are there specific requirements for a particular form? Presumably the I-864?

Also, I have a contents cover page, but that's it... should the first form in the packet be something specific?
Current paystubs are what you missed on the list. But if they are in your package, then yes, that's proof of your current income for the I-864.

The contents cover page is just for your own use, actually. I also did a cover page for all our immigration packages, but I've heard USCIS doesn't really read them, just throws them away. So go ahead and include it on top, but realize it's just for your own organization records.

I'd put the I-485 and backup as the first form they'll see, since it's the main one.

Rene
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Rene - I will change the order, putting the 485 in front...but what is the backup?
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:40 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... but what is the backup?
Umm... it's the supporting evidence (= the stuff that backs up the application).

Ian
Old Jun 16th 2011, 3:53 pm

Thanks Rene - I will change the order, putting the 485 in front...but what is the backup?
Backup = all the supporting evidence/forms that go along with the I-485 application.

Rene
Old Jun 20th 2011, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Everything was sent on Thursday, and I have the signature of receipt from USCIS on Friday... is there a thread on "what happens now"? VWP expires soon, so not sure where to go and how worried to be.......
Old Jun 20th 2011, 1:26 am

Everything was sent on Thursday, and I have the signature of receipt from USCIS on Friday... is there a thread on "what happens now"? VWP expires soon, so not sure where to go and how worried to be.......
Basically, what happens now is:

You receive a Notice of Action from USCIS that they received the AOS package.
You receive a Notice to go to a biometrics appointment (fingerprints and photo).
You receive a combination EAD/AP document in the mail.
You could receive an RFE (Request for Further Evidence) at any time while waiting...if you get one, respond to it.
You receive a Notice from USCIS with your AOS interview date.
You attend the interview.
You either get approved or denied.

Where to go? Nowhere...everything comes to your home address. Definitely do not leave the USA without AP in hand.

How worried to be? You knew the risks when you did an AOS from VWP, but there's nothing you can do now until a decision is made...so try to relax and have a Plan B in mind, just in case.

Rene
Old Jun 20th 2011, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Rene...I will wait as patiently as possible
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Received the confirmation of receipt today
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

At what point in the next steps can he safely "overstay" his 90 days?

You receive a Notice of Action from USCIS that they received the AOS package. Complete
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 5:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

At what point in the next steps can he safely "overstay" his 90 days?
There's no such thing as a safe overstay... there are always various degrees of risk.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.