Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

VWP Eligibility-Youth Caution-Marijuana

VWP Eligibility-Youth Caution-Marijuana

Old Dec 31st 2009, 4:18 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VWP Eligibility-Youth Caution-Marijuana

Originally Posted by dreamercon
You can be detained without being arrested. This happens all the time for all sorts of reasons.
That is an arguable point. If you are told you are not free to go that is an arrest. As far as I know, as someone who allegedly detained people often under terrorist legislation, no-one has challenged the fact in a court but I can't see a court not saying that is an arrest. Once you have had the ability to decided for yourself to leave or not you have been arrested.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 11:15 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alan321
i know he wasn't arrested because i was with him when the police said the following"i am detaining you for the purpose of taking you to a police station to be questioned, you are not free to go" and also i asked the officer when he was realesed if he was arrested at any time and he said no just detained.
And yes he only admitted to using marijuana
and yes it happend in israel
Hey, thank you for the laugh. Another attorney told me to look at this post, and he's right!!! You guys playing attorney are a lot of fun! :-)
Old Jan 1st 2010, 12:07 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You can be detained without being arrested. This happens all the time for all sorts of reasons.
In the US? I think not!
Old Jan 1st 2010, 12:15 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
Hey, thank you for the laugh. Another attorney told me to look at this post, and he's right!!! You guys playing attorney are a lot of fun! :-)
Er......the guy is looking to hire an attorney, not playing at being one. Let's hope you don't put him off.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 2:37 am
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

For example, one may be detained when there is a court order to obtain a DNA sample. Or as Folinsky used to say, when the police stops you to give you a ticket, you are detained - you are not free to go until you sign the ticket and allowed to leave, and you are detained even though you are not arrested. There are many more cases.

Originally Posted by fatbrit
In the US? I think not!
Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:11 am
Septicity

For example, one may be detained when there is a court order to obtain a DNA sample. Or as Folinsky used to say, when the police stops you to give you a ticket, you are detained - you are not free to go until you sign the ticket and allowed to leave, and you are detained even though you are not arrested. There are many more cases.
I'd call that seizure rather than detention. But it only available in very limited circumstances. The other common one as we're on the topic of immigration is at a port of entry.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

alan321 is an unknown quantity at this point

allright thank you all for your help.
I went to see a lawyer and he phoned the police and they said that according to their computers my son wasn't detained rather was there voluntarily, and that he doesn't have a criminal record and that apart from the police no one will ever know about it and even the police will have to delete it once my son turns 18. now as he wasn't an immigration lawyer can anyone tell me if that changes anything immigration wise?
Old Jan 1st 2010, 4:55 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
Glad you find someones problems amusing. A pity that between two attorneys you couldn't come up with an intelligent and useful response that helped the OP.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by alan321
allright thank you all for your help.
I went to see a lawyer and he phoned the police and they said that according to their computers my son wasn't detained rather was there voluntarily, and that he doesn't have a criminal record and that apart from the police no one will ever know about it and even the police will have to delete it once my son turns 18. now as he wasn't an immigration lawyer can anyone tell me if that changes anything immigration wise?
If voluntary attendance there is similar to voluntary attendance under PACE in the England/Wales then I believe it makes a big difference and he can answer no to all the question on the back on the I-94W. So he could use the VWP.

I would not have any qualms myself in using the VWP in the circumstances you describe but perhaps one of the lawyers might want to give a useful response to confirm or deny if this is sensible.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

alan321 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
If voluntary attendance there is similar to voluntary attendance under PACE in the England/Wales then I believe it makes a big difference and he can answer no to all the question on the back on the I-94W. So he could use the VWP.

I would not have any qualms myself in using the VWP in the circumstances you describe but perhaps one of the lawyers might want to give a useful response to confirm or deny if this is sensible.
First of all thank you for your help.
Can anyone confirm what he said? as we are really worried about this.