Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

VWP - Border cross/re-entry via Mexico

VWP - Border cross/re-entry via Mexico

Old Dec 15th 2010, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VWP - Border cross/re-entry via Mexico

Originally Posted by Destination LAX
Regarding the USA VWP, you have to fill in the online ESTA form etc. before hand. Is there anything for Mexico or Canada? Or can I just turn up, and roll through.
Both times when I crossed into Mexico, there were no border controls.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 12:29 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Just curious – what are the risks involved?
lol, where to start? It's really a separate topic and some google will give you an idea.
-You need Mexico specific insurance.
-If you are in an accident, the default is that everyone goes to jail until it is sorted out. (you pay your own expenses in jail there) The old advice was, unless you killed someone, you should just do a run for the border and sort it out later. The one person I know who did kill someone (accidentally) went through a nightmare, but he was able to work through the legal process. He was already well connected in the community where the accident happened.
-The police who take you to jail may or may not still work under mordida.
-The roadways are frequently underdeveloped.
-Driving after dark is an extreme hazard not to be taken lightly. Headlights are not a popular accessory; lack of sidewalks or breakdown lanes mean that livestock and people frequently use the roadways, lights or no lights.
-Currently many border areas are extremely unsafe. That said, it depends on where one is going; my parent live 18 miles from the border and cross frequently. It's sort of funny to see them bombing down the freeway in their bright red Mini.
-Vehicles are in all states of repair and disrepair, creating hazards of their own.
-Depending on how far into the interior you are going, you need to pay for a permit for your vehicle to ensure you don't sell it there without paying the duty.
-There are some zones that are well known for robberies and worse.
-I have read, and experienced, that due to their lovely sense of hospitality, no one will refuse to give you directions when asked. Whether or not they know the correct ones has nothing to do with it.

You just need to learn about some of the main hazards and not drive over the border and think it's the same as the US.

I drive there, my family does, I've done several long tours in the country. I don't know how to explain it easily, but it's not like anywhere you've ever been, based on my experience and reading about other parts of the world.

Originally Posted by Marocco
Both times when I crossed into Mexico, there were no border controls.
The border control is further in, at KM21 on the route I've used lately.

Last edited by meauxna; Dec 24th 2010 at 12:27 am. Reason: typo
Old Dec 15th 2010, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious – what are the risks involved?
You need to buy the special Mexican insurance. If you don't, and are in an accident, you could find yourself in a cell. If the car is stolen you can be SOL.

ETA: much more complete answer above

Last edited by Bill_S; Dec 15th 2010 at 12:46 am.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
lol, where to start? It's really a separate topic and some google will give you an idea.
-You need Mexico specific insurance.
-If you are in an accident, the default is that everyone goes to jail until it is sorted out. (you pay your own expenses in jail there) The old advise was, unless you killed someone, you should just do a run for the border and sort it out later. The one person I know who did kill someone (accidentally) went through a nightmare, but he was able to work through the legal process. He was already well connected in the community where the accident happened.
-The police who take you to jail may or may not still work under mordida.
-The roadways are frequently underdeveloped.
-Driving after dark is an extreme hazard not to be taken lightly. Headlights are not a popular accessory; lack of sidewalks or breakdown lanes mean that livestock and people frequently use the roadways, lights or no lights.
-Currently many border areas are extremely unsafe. That said, it depends on where one is going; my parent live 18 miles from the border and cross frequently. It's sort of funny to see them bombing down the freeway in their bright red Mini.
-Vehicles are in all states of repair and disrepair, creating hazards of their own.
-Depending on how far into the interior you are going, you need to pay for a permit for your vehicle to ensure you don't sell it there without paying the duty.
-There are some zones that are well known for robberies and worse.
-I have read, and experienced, that due to their lovely sense of hospitality, no one will refuse to give you directions when asked. Whether or not they know the correct ones has nothing to do with it.

You just need to learn about some of the main hazards and not drive over the border and think it's the same as the US.

I drive there, my family does, I've done several long tours in the country. I don't know how to explain it easily, but it's not like anywhere you've ever been, based on my experience and reading about other parts of the world.

The border control is further in, at KM21 on the route I've used lately.
OMG, I will not be visiting Mexico in a hurry. That being said – I have driven in India so the driving conditions can not get worse. LOL
Old Dec 15th 2010, 1:00 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, I will not be visiting Mexico in a hurry. That being said – I have driven in India so the driving conditions can not get worse. LOL
lol, exactly. I haven't driven there, but I have a feeling it's similar.
It's like driving in Greece.. for the tourists, it's a nightmare. But if you study the local 'ways' and drive like they do, it's not that bad.
It's when you expect everyone to drive US stylee that you have problems.

Please don't let that deter you from visiting Mexico though, it's a wonderful place and I enjoy spending as much time there as I can. I've driven from Oregon all the way down the Gulf coast and all around Yucatan penn and beyond. I wanted to make it all the way to Panama back in the day, but it didn't happen.
And you can visit many nice places in Mexico without driving to them from the US.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Extreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to all

Please don't let that deter you from visiting Mexico though, it's a wonderful place and I enjoy spending as much time there as I can.
I agree!!

I have been driving down to Baja a handful of times the last year. Once with a VWP visitor, we were down for two days and had no problem crossing back (within the 90 day window).

I'm going for eight days over x-mas and new years. I drive slow and plan on everything taking twice as much time as in the US.

Check out www.bajanomad.com for some good travel info.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 15th 2010, 3:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I rode a motor bike in Sri Lanka....

I would not put Mexico number 1 for interesting driving conditions, many more interesting.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 1:04 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that a departure from the US to Canada or Mexico, even if it's just for lunch or something, is still considered a departure. People who were just admitted normally don't have problems returning following such trips. If the border guards finds something they don't like about you, the fact that you were just in the US earlier that day doesn't mean they have to let you back in. You are essentially knocking on the door again just like you did when you flew in from the US.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 2:04 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric S
Note that Mexico is not a member of the Visa Waiver Program. I assume you are a UK citizen. You should check what UK citizens need to visit Mexico (visa, passport only, etc.). Also note that ESTA is just for visiting the US.

US citizens can visit Mexico with just a passport. I don't know about UK citizens.

- Eric S.
I've walked over the Rio Grande a bunch of times with just a UK passport it is fine.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

lol, exactly. I haven't driven there, but I have a feeling it's similar.
It's like driving in Greece.. for the tourists, it's a nightmare. But if you study the local 'ways' and drive like they do, it's not that bad.
It's when you expect everyone to drive US stylee that you have problems.

Please don't let that deter you from visiting Mexico though, it's a wonderful place and I enjoy spending as much time there as I can. I've driven from Oregon all the way down the Gulf coast and all around Yucatan penn and beyond. I wanted to make it all the way to Panama back in the day, but it didn't happen.
And you can visit many nice places in Mexico without driving to them from the US.
Cows on the road very common – you can not do anything coz they are considered sacred in Indian culture

Stray dogs were a way of life, more so 15 years ago than now. Now, it’s more about clean up.

People are extremely helpful. There is the ‘3 wheeler’ Auto used like a cab in many cities. Vast majority of the drivers are decent however some will charge you 2-3 times as a visitor. You won’t even notice it coz if you convert it in USD it will be like a dollar to two 

I do want to visit Mexico – I have heard a lot about it. I won’t be driving for sure
Old Dec 15th 2010, 10:51 pm

I do want to visit Mexico – I have heard a lot about it. I won’t be driving for sure
I feel the same about India.. I wish they'd just move it a little bit closer!
Old Dec 15th 2010, 10:53 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

If they do, I don't want to be in the tsunami zone.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 12:56 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I feel that way about Uzbekistan.

Rene
Old Dec 16th 2010, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

You gotto do it mate. 25 hour flight :O
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

Destination LAX is an unknown quantity at this point

Not had a chance to reply earlier so sorry about the delay.

Hahaha, my friend from Colombia said "You'll end up dead' - to be taken lightly! (or maybe not!?)...

Anyway,

You should probably get your facts online; a lot is changing and quickly, so books are less reliable.
I generally do research on the net but I happened to come across this in a book there for I questioned it.

I wouldn't be crossing the border with a rental car. I've gathered that there are alot of issues regarding that from what everone is saying I'm not really looking to do a cross country expedition, but just something simple, experience abit of Mexico, soak up some culture.

I think like meauxna said, just need to learn how things work over there, and be 'street' smart you could said. Sounds like a beautiful country. However, how bad is the drug-cartel conflict? From statistics and the news it seems very VERY bad, (35,000 murders since 2008? not sure when exactly) but then again, its a pretty big country with a large population (not to say thats ok!).

If I find myself with some extra time, by which I could spend it in Mexico, I will not hesitate to do so. I'll check out the links everyone has shared once I get some spare time (pretty hard at the moment).

Again thanks for the help everybody, really appreciate it. You've helped me mould a solid image of what considerations and notes I should take upon planning a trip to Mexico. & sorry if my replies arn't very colourful but like I said, very busy at the moment!

Merry Christmas, enjoy the festive season!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.