VWP advice, too soon?

Old Dec 5th 2012, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Karldw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default VWP advice, too soon?

I recently posted a thread in regards to obtaining an F1 visa. Im now thinking it might be a good idea to go back out there and discuss possible academic programmes with a university and see what my options are. I returned from USA on october 15th after working the summer on a J1 visa for 4 months. What i am now wondering is when should i apply for the VWP? will it be frowned upon that im returning quite soon? was aiming for january maybe february?
Old Dec 5th 2012, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

TangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really niceTangoBlue is just really nice
Default Re: VWP advice, too soon?

There is no correct and accurate answer to this question. It's up to the point of entry officer when you arrive in the US. Some people seem to suggest spending at least the same amount of time out of the country as you do in.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karldw
I recently posted a thread in regards to obtaining an F1 visa. Im now thinking it might be a good idea to go back out there and discuss possible academic programmes with a university and see what my options are. I returned from USA on october 15th after working the summer on a J1 visa for 4 months. What i am now wondering is when should i apply for the VWP? will it be frowned upon that im returning quite soon? was aiming for january maybe february?
If you are not planning to go until Jan then wait til Jan to apply for ESTA.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 1:48 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

In and of itself, no. Time in and out of the country is but one factor in determining if you are really seeking to enter as a visitor for a valid purpose.

Regards, JEff

will it be frowned upon that im returning quite soon?

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Dec 5th 2012 at 2:09 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

I cant imagine how horrible it would be to travel that far and be turned away :-/ something id like to avoid at all costs!
Old Dec 5th 2012, 1:58 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

I cant imagine how horrible it would be to travel that far and be turned away :-/ something id like to avoid at all costs!
At all costs? You could do what my husband did and preclear through Dublin. If you clear there, you are considered "in the US" for travel purposes. If you don't, at least you did not have to get all the way to the US first. For him, a Northern Irish citizen, it was the logical and cheapest place to connect through. I don't know where you are in the UK (I'm assuming you are in the UK) but it might also be an option for you.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Yeah I'm in north east of the uk, how would I go about doing this? I'd rather be turned Away at Dublin than the other side of the world ha
Old Dec 5th 2012, 2:15 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I'm in north east of the uk, how would I go about doing this? I'd rather be turned Away at Dublin than the other side of the world ha
Hmm. Try booking a flight via Aer Lingus. So long as you connect through Dublin on your way to the US, you'll probably preclear there. Certain flights don't, I think the latest ones in the day, but most do.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

I could go in February to leave a sizeable gap between visits I guess
Old Dec 5th 2012, 2:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Just my layman's opinion, but you were in the USA on a F-1 status. You are now wanting to return in a different status (visitor). In my opinion, it shouldn't be a problem. The problems start happening when you make too many VWP visitor visits back-to-back.

Rene
Old Dec 5th 2012, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

I was on J1 but intend to apply for F1 later. I want to go in vwp first before applying for F1 incase it gets denied then I can't get another vwp for a long time
Old Dec 5th 2012, 3:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I was on J1 but intend to apply for F1 later. I want to go in vwp first before applying for F1 incase it gets denied then I can't get another vwp for a long time
I posted J-1 first, then saw the F-1 reference in your post. LOL Either way, you were in the USA in one status, now you are asking to enter in a different status, in order to scope out schools for another status. I personally don't see any problems.

Rene
Old Dec 5th 2012, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Cool but you'd recommend waiting till around feb?
Old Dec 5th 2012, 3:41 pm
Mouthy Yank

Cool but you'd recommend waiting till around feb?
It could not possibly hurt your case for you to wait, if you can afford to do that.

One of the executive assistants at work told me flights are cheapest when booked about 60 days before you leave, anyway, so in that sense the timing is perfect.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
One of the executive assistants at work told me flights are cheapest when booked about 60 days before you leave, anyway, so in that sense the timing is perfect.
Although one should not book flights until such time as they have a valid travel document. Apply for Esta first then book travel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.