Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Vulnerability here highlighted again..

Vulnerability here highlighted again..

Old Nov 7th 2008, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vulnerability here highlighted again..

I can only speak for us here on L1/2 visas (cos thats what we're on!)

When we came here it was always with the knowledge that our visa was tied to the job, and being as we're in the US where hiring and firing seems to be as easy as ordering pizza and an employment contract doesn't exist, you always have a sense of vulnerablilty about being here.. and this was highlighted again this week..

Since being here (arrived July '07) there have been many times when senior managers were culled from the organisation.. Not, I hasten to add, because of lack of ability or reaching targets, but simply because they did not fit into the *new vision* of the company. I understand that is the brutal nature of the corporate world.. however, it is bloody unnerving each time the rumour mill starts going into overdrive and you wonder if this time is 'your time'!

As many of the people who relocate here on L visa's are, my OH was brought over here as a *subject expert* in his field, and has consistantly grown the business for the past 15 months straight, he is one of the top 3 VP's in regards to results, and has been put forward to attend a *corporate university* where only 0.5% of the worldwide workforce gets selected. Enough, you would think for us to be able to relax and feel safe in the assumption that we won't be affected by the next *culling process*... but sadly it is not.. we have seen so many great managers sent packing. That twinned with the current economic climate and the fact that anyone, anywhere on an 'Expat Agreement' with this company is being called back to their home Countries (we aren't on an expat agreement) all adds to the uncertainity.

Thankfully, this time was not 'our time'.. but some other poor buggars.. It did mean once again, we are forced to imagine the 'what if's'.. and to look at how vulnerable we are. Its hard enough sometimes to get a sense of belonging and acceptance for our new *home*.. somedays loving it and wanting to stay forever, and other days daydreaming about what it would be like going home and being around your friends and family again.. But actually the decision about whether we stay or go, if this is short term or long term.. about whether we should begin to imagine this as our new life.. isn't actually our decision at all... The decision, infact, could be made for us.. today, tomorrow or whenever some corporate big wig feels its 'our time'..

As a footnote, we are in the beginning stages of the GC process (very beginning stages!).. so we have got a light at the end of the tunnel.. I want our decision to stay or go to be just that, our decision! And so the Expat rollercoaster continues..
Old Nov 7th 2008, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vulnerability here highlighted again..

That must really suck, I don't think many people have security in their jobs at the moment but to add to that the fear you would have to uproot again, must be very unsettling.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I hear ya Samba. I try not to think about the "what if's" too much, but every year when we have to renew our visas the ugly thoughts rear up again...can't imagine being told we have to go back
Old Nov 7th 2008, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed.. and it can be argued that we knew that from the outset.. but when your here living it and trying your best to build something that resembles a normal secure life here for your family, it makes it all the harder when you know that it could literally be ripped away from you at anytime. I think that is one of the main reasons why we can't actually ever see this as *home*..

Still, we are trying to remind ourselves that we came here as an adventure, to broaden our horizons and see what else the world has got to offer... and that still stands.. maybe we should take on a more bohemian, laid back approach to this whole experiance.. what will be will be!!
Old Nov 7th 2008, 5:25 pm
\o/

OiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud of

It sucks getting laid off here. Hopefully you will get the GC OK.
I got laid off and could not find a job for 4 months while in the country on my H1-B. Luckily green card came through just in time.

Do you work? or are you a trophy wife ?
Old Nov 7th 2008, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambapink
Agreed.. and it can be argued that we knew that from the outset.. but when your here living it and trying your best to build something that resembles a normal secure life here for your family, it makes it all the harder when you know that it could literally be ripped away from you at anytime. I think that is one of the main reasons why we can't actually ever see this as *home*..

Still, we are trying to remind ourselves that we came here as an adventure, to broaden our horizons and see what else the world has got to offer... and that still stands.. maybe we should take on a more bohemian, laid back approach to this whole experiance.. what will be will be!!
Must be difficult to fully immerse yourselves though, and particularly difficult when you have kids going into higher education I would imagine.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OiOi
It sucks getting laid off here. Hopefully you will get the GC OK.
I got laid off and could not find a job for 4 months while in the country on my H1-B. Luckily green card came through just in time.

Do you work? or are you a trophy wife ?
Hmmm.. Trophy wife..?? I like to go with the Trailing Spouse definition!! - I have my EAD, but not working at the moment.

Originally Posted by nethead
Must be difficult to fully immerse yourselves though, and particularly difficult when you have kids going into higher education I would imagine.

Yeah, I think its the kids that is always the biggest concern.. we try and talk to them alot about enjoying themselves here and getting the most from the experiance.. and telling them realistically that it may not be forever. Kids are incredibly adaptable, especially if they feel secure in their lives (sounds paradoxical, but you get my drift!)
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From Yorkshire to Paris, the long way round via Michigan.
midwestowl is an unknown quantity at this point

Exactly the same boat samba - still waiting for my EAD even though it may not get used.
We decided to come for exactly the reasons you state, experience something different, show the kids other possibilities etc and even if it ends tomorrow they can't take it away from you.
good luck with the gc
Old Nov 7th 2008, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

peteandvanessa has a spectacular aura aboutpeteandvanessa has a spectacular aura aboutpeteandvanessa has a spectacular aura about

Here's my experience with the "Culling" culture in Corp American companies.

I transferred on an L1A visa with a very large semiconductor company. They arrange for all the paperwork for the visa etc and they covered some costs for the transfer.

We applied for permanent residency and all was going through the system (along with my wife and three children). Meanwhile, the company decided to make some cuts to the workforce. Having had very good reviews and working hard for the company I thought I would be safe.

Anyway, it was clear that all managers were under review, but I still thought I would pull through. Before knowing whether I would be part of the cull, I spoke to HR and my manger to explain that my Green card was close to approval and asked if we could discuss whether I could stay temporarily if I was to be culled, at least until I got my final green card, their response was "Tough sh*&", urm, so I was in the boat with everyone else.

Anyway the following tuesday I was due to find out whether I would loose my job or not. So I get my mail on the Thursday before, and guess what turned up in the Mail, yep the bloody green cards (a couple of months earlier than I anticipated.

So Tuesday comes, and yes, I lost my Job, along with my manger and my managers manager. (managed to find another job in short order thank god).

So the moral for me, is when it gets bad, everybody has a target on their back, NO ONE IS SAFE.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:08 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

oh sambapink - I could have written your post. DH works for a large banking organisation and seems to have some kind of managment upheaval every few months and everyone is unsure as to whether they have to go home or not. I hate that it has such a massive sway over our lives and that at the companies whim we could be forced out of the US with little notice. Our home in the UK is rented out so we couldnt simply go back to our own house unless the timing happened to coincide with a rental renewal. Also - I gave up a very well paid job for us to come here - and doubt if I could walk back into it again - not least because im currently 30 plus weeks pregnant. This would make it very hard for us to make ends meet back in Surrey where we used to live and we would have to decamp to a much cheaper area with poor job prospects for us both or horrendous commutes etc.

Thankfully like you we are in the early (VERY) stages of green card applications so the end is in sight (ie we will still be vulnerable to job loss but at least DH could look for something else and we could stay here). But the pressure of the re-orgs before they agreed the green card was horrid.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 10:44 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I feel for you guys. I'm glad to be off that rollercoaster.
We 485 was pending during the last recession and things were very sketchy.
I got laid off from WorldCom and and had to scrabble to get another, identical job.

Hang in there.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah theres a few of us feeling the uncertainity, especially at the moment.. but I was thinking today, really life could be a whole lot worse.. Worrying about what could be just ain't gonna change a thing!
Old Nov 8th 2008, 1:43 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't have put it better myself...and you summed it up nicely.

this is one of the main reasons why were going home next year..we're moving on OUR terms and because WE have decided its time for us to go...we don't want to be told by the Company (and have about 1 month to do it in)..this way, its our decision and not theirs..and that makes us feel more in control of our future..and a damn sight happier to..
Old Nov 8th 2008, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lisag8070
I couldn't have put it better myself...and you summed it up nicely.

this is one of the main reasons why were going home next year..we're moving on OUR terms and because WE have decided its time for us to go...we don't want to be told by the Company (and have about 1 month to do it in)..this way, its our decision and not theirs..and that makes us feel more in control of our future..and a damn sight happier to..
Good for you Lisa.. I hope that the outcome for you is all you hope for.. remember why you came.. why you stayed.. and why you've decided to go home...
No matter what happens there'll be no regrets from me.. but as you say, better on my terms than on theres!
Old Nov 8th 2008, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean, Samba.
I'm an EB-3, waiting for the 485 to be approved....still...only filed July 2007, but, heck, what's 17 sodding months
Given that local government relies heavily on sales tax revenue and building permit fees, the municipality I work for is in dire straits. During the building boom a few department heads had a sudden rush of blood to the head and overspent their budgets and now no one is safe, even though in a just world, the idiots who overspent would be for the heave-ho.
I hate the uncertainty and feeling so vulnerable and pigged off because we're still waiting for the I485. :curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.