Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Is is voluntary departure counted as deportation or removal?

Wikiposts

Is is voluntary departure counted as deportation or removal?

Old May 6th 2011, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

sunshine1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is is voluntary departure counted as deportation or removal?

Hi everyone!
I was refer to this site by immigrate2us. I just have a few question to ask. I wanted to visit UK, I'm living in the US right now (green card holder), i was living in the US before illegally and was detained for 3 weeks, i left through voluntary departure and was able to come back legally after filing a waiver. Now i wanted to visit some friends in London,My question is in the visa application it was asking if was i deported or removed from any country, is voluntary departure counted as deportation or removal? should i answered the question yes or no? and they wanted my fingerprint scanned, will it show that i was detained before for immigration in the US?

Thanks
Old May 6th 2011, 9:19 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: hello

Originally Posted by sunshine1234
Hi everyone!
I was refer to this site by immigrate2us. I just have a few question to ask. I wanted to visit UK, I'm living in the US right now (green card holder), i was living in the US before illegally and was detained for 3 weeks, i left through voluntary departure and was able to come back legally after filing a waiver. Now i wanted to visit some friends in London,My question is in the visa application it was asking if was i deported or removed from any country, is voluntary departure counted as deportation or removal? should i answered the question yes or no? and they wanted my fingerprint scanned, will it show that i was detained before for immigration in the US?

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum I will move this to a more appropriate forum section " US Immigration and Visas" where we have some very knowledgable members.

meauxna , Noorah101 , Bob , MsElui are the Moderators over there and Kaffy Mintcake is the Concierge should you get any issues give one of them a shout.

Once again Welcome.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; May 6th 2011 at 9:24 pm.
Old May 7th 2011, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is is voluntary departure counted as deportation or removal?

A little confused, can you clarify some things:

- what is your citizenship and current status in the US?

- what visa are you applying for, to enter which country?
Old May 7th 2011, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
A little confused, can you clarify some things:

- what is your citizenship and current status in the US?

- what visa are you applying for, to enter which country?
+1

If you are a green card holder, you shouldn't be applying for a US visa since the green card is your document to enter the US.
Old May 7th 2011, 4:22 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

It reads to me as if the person thinks they need a visa to visit the UK.

THAT application is asking if he's ever been removed/deported from ANY country, and he had a VD from the US. He wants to know if that counts as deportation.

Whether it does or does not I don't know, but the fact that it was overcome with a waiver and that he's now a US PR should have a positive difference on the outcome.
Old May 7th 2011, 8:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

VD is not a UK immigration option so the answer is no.
Old May 7th 2011, 8:35 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
VD is not a UK immigration option so the answer is no.
It shouldn't matter if it is a UK term or not, the question is, Is VD = Removal or Deportation?

I think the answer is no but I'm no expert. OP may want to read this memo: http://www.justice.gov/eoir/press/04...romRemoval.htm to understand some terms.
Old May 7th 2011, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
It shouldn't matter if it is a UK term or not, the question is, Is VD = Removal or Deportation.
It's not. Sometimes during a removal hearing the judge will give the option of Voluntary Departure instead of removal. (I don't believe the term Deportation is used anymore, but i'm not an attorney so I could be wrong)

Anyway, the point of granting voluntary departure is that the alien agrees to depart voluntarily, at his/her own expense by a date set by the judge - and avoid the added penalties that comes with a formal removal.

I'm sure there is more to it, but that's basically my layman's Cliff's Notes on the subject.
Old May 8th 2011, 10:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

She (I think) was not deported or removed. So the answer would be no.

The form does not mention illegal status which would be a yes.
Old May 9th 2011, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Thank you Boiler : )
Old May 9th 2011, 8:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone : )