visitor visa question

Old Nov 10th 2013, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

newpin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default visitor visa question

Hi
I am currently living in Japan with my husband (Japanese). I am considering returning home to The UK next year to do a PGCE . There is inevitably going to be some time apart and was wondering if my husband would be able to come and stay with me for 6 months in The UK on the visitor visa? Then go back to Japan, and then come back again for another 6 months etc.
Also, the UKBA web page indicates the visitor visa is a maximum of 6 months. How do they decide this?
I always get nervous at immigration. He has only been to The UK twice, but the first time, he was whisked off into an interview room with several officers and interviewed for quite a while
Old Nov 10th 2013, 9:02 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: visitor visa question

If your husband enters the UK as a visitor for six months before returning to Japan then he wouldn't be allowed to enter again until a further six months has passed. Also on a visitor visa he wouldn't be allowed to work or study.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Thank you BritInParis,
So, say if he came in Jan 2014 and went back to Japan in July 2014, he wouldn't be able to come back til Jan 2015 ?

Also, can anyone help out on how/when the 6 months is decided?

Thanks!
Old Nov 11th 2013, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Anecdotal evidence suggests this would probably be seen as an attempt to "get around a spouse visa" and denied.

You will need to clearly show that he has ongoing ties to Japan and must return (e.g. for work). If he can take 6 months off to come to the UK with you that will be hard to justify
Old Nov 11th 2013, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, I see your point.
We are back at looking at the Surrinder Singh route again now... or the spousal visa route.
Thanks again.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 9:49 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by newpin
Thank you BritInParis,
So, say if he came in Jan 2014 and went back to Japan in July 2014, he wouldn't be able to come back til Jan 2015 ?

Also, can anyone help out on how/when the 6 months is decided?

Thanks!
The date of arrival if someone is a non visa national, it will be stamped in the passport. If someone applies for a visa the visa may be valid for 6 months so that is the dates which someone can travel. If the visa is longer than 6 months the 6 months will start from the date of arrival. However the person must be genuinely visiting - not planning to live in the UK. As previously said this may be hard to show in your case if you are living in the UK for a prolonged period of your PGCE.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

They are even listing it specifically on their website now:
You must be able to show that, during your visit, you do not intend to:

live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits;
(http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi.../requirements/)
Old Nov 18th 2013, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If your husband enters the UK as a visitor for six months before returning to Japan then he wouldn't be allowed to enter again until a further six months has passed. Also on a visitor visa he wouldn't be allowed to work or study.
??? Brit in Paris, can you explain further, or tell me where on the UKBA website it says that you must stay away another six months, after a visit to UK of six months?

I have read where it says you mustn't be planning to come for "frequent or successive visits" but don't see where it says you can't come back for six months...
Old Nov 18th 2013, 8:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
??? Brit in Paris, can you explain further, or tell me where on the UKBA website it says that you must stay away another six months, after a visit to UK of six months?

I have read where it says you mustn't be planning to come for "frequent or successive visits" but don't see where it says you can't come back for six months...
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...df?view=Binary

To quote:

Frequency and duration of visits
Visitors cannot live in the UK on a continuous basis even if this is punctuated by short absences from the UK to avoid overstaying.

There is no specific limit on the number of visits an individual can make to the UK, such as a definitive rule which states that a visitor can only remain in the UK for ‘6 months in 12 month period’ rule. But visitors must not be living in the UK for extended periods because of frequent, successive visits. For example:

 where an individual spends five or six months in the UK during a visit and returns after a short break in their home country for a further five or six months, or
 if they are living in the UK for successive short periods and breaking this by leaving for a couple of days, for example, someone living in the UK during the week and breaking this by leaving the UK at the weekends.

This could amount to genuine residence. However this is not a hard and fast rule and the circumstances of each case needs to be considered on an individual basis.

Assessing residence through successive visits
You must consider the following factors when forming an overall assessment as to whether the visitor is residing in the UK because of frequent, successive visits:

 Purpose of visit and intended length of stay stated on the visitor’s visa application form or to the Border Force officer.
 Number of visits made over the past year (rolling 12 month period), including:
o the length of stay on each occasion
o the time that has elapsed since last visit, and
o if this amounts to the individual spending more time in the UK than in their home country.
 Purpose of return trips to visitor’s home country if this is used only to gain readmission to the UK.
 The links they have with their home country such as:
o main residence
o employment
o family or other long term commitments
o where they are registered for tax purposes.
 Evidence the UK is their main place of residence such as:
o Have they registered with a general practitioner (GP)?
o Are their children in UK schools?
 Previous applications made:
o Are they are using the visitor route to avoid the rules in place for family migrants joining British or settled persons in the UK?
o For example, if the visitor has previously been refused under the family rules and subsequently wants to enter as a visitor.

If a general visitor is in the UK to take part in an archaeological excavation you can grant an extension of stay beyond six months as a concession outside the rules as long as:

 they produce evidence that an extension of stay is necessary, and
 the total period of their stay in the UK does not exceed 12 months.
As can see there is no hard and fast rule concerning "six months in twelve" in the Immigration Rules however the guidance does state that an Immigration Officer should factor this into their decision about whether someone is a genuine visitor or not. Visiting for six consecutive months followed by another six consecutive months, for instance, would not be a genuine visit. The OP's husband would also fail most of the other tests, notably spending more time in the UK than Japan and using successively long visits to effectively reside in the UK. Coupled with the fact he presumably would no longer have employment to return to in Japan and his primary family ties would be in the UK it is highly unlikely that an Immigration Officer would allow him to enter for another six months after a prior six month visit in any given year.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much, Brit in Paris. Not sure if I've ever seen this bit of info before, or perhaps just didn't take it properly on board.

Very helpful (and depressing!).
Old Nov 18th 2013, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

The UKBA is one of the most depressing institutions on Earth!

In 2007 my (then) girlfriend, a Malaysian, came over to the UK and entered on a 6 month visitor pass (which is basically a stamp in the passport). During her stay, I tried everything I could to find out when she would be able to come back after going home. I spent a very frustrating 2 hours on the telephone to the Home Office (UKBA wasn't in existence then) and got fed up with being passed from person to person without getting a definitive answer. I then searched the UK.gov website, again without getting a positive answer. At the end of the 6 months, I travelled with her to Malaysia and we even went to the visa office in KL to find out what, if any, visa she could apply for. However, because I was still married (albeit at that time I had a decree nisi) she couldn't apply for either a spouse (obviously) or even a fiancée visa.

We were only in Malaysia for 7 days and then both flew back to the UK. She was questioned at length by Immigration, at one point even being asked when she had returned to Malaysia. Basically, the guy was an idiot as she had a folder with everything in it that we thought would support her - a letter from me as her sponsor, my bank statements and employment payslips, Council Tax and Utility Bills, Mortgage statement etc. It also contained the boarding passes we had used for the flights to Malaysia the previous week. However, he (Immigration Officer) was concentrating on why she had no exit stamp (leaving UK) or entry (into Malaysia) stamps in her passport.

I did point out that the UK didn't (then, I still think they don't even now) put exit stamps in passports. Basically, after reducing my g/f to tears, he then couldn't handle the situation and had to call on his (female) superior to calm g/f down, which she was able to do in a matter of minutes. When she allowed me to explain the steps I had taken, she eventually said "well, you do seem to be a genuine couple, and you have obviosuly made an effort to find out the information. It would seem not to be your fault. We'll allow her into the UK on this occasion, but you must not do it again". G/f was allowed in for 6 months. However, I would not hold out any hope of this sort of thing being allowed now!

We got married (in Malaysia) the following year, and she had to wait for 4 months after applying for the Spouse visa, before finally being successful. She arrived in the UK in August 2008 on a visa valid for 2 years 3 months. Unfortunately, she failed the LIUK test twice in that time, and had then to reapply (from within the UK and before her visa expired) for a further 2 years. This application was successful and was completed relatively quickly (less than 1 month).

However, in 2012 things changed! She passed LIUK in February and we were going to wait until the current visa expired (October 2012) as we thought she would not be able to apply until a few weeks before expiry. A chance phone call to UKBA proved otherwise - she could apply any time after passing LIUK. She then applied in September but............. suddenly there was a huge backload of applications (I mean thousands) - how much of that was a knock-on effect from the Olympics being held in London we're not sure, but the upshot was that it dragged on and on and she didn't actually get her ILR visa until March of this year and even then it might have taken considerably longer had I not taken the decision to get our MP involved. I wrote both to our local MP and to Mark Harper (Home Office Minister) and got it resolved within about a month.

The UKBA held onto our passports for the whole of that period, which I found incredible! I cannot imagine that happening in other countries. In fact, due to changed circumstances, we emigrated to Malaysia earlier this year. I came in on a 90 day visitor stamp then applied for the Long Term Stay Visit Pass (equivalent of a spouse visa) and my first application was decided in about a week. I was granted 6 months. A month before that expired, I re-applied and this time was given 1 year - this decision took less than 1 hour! On both occasions, I handed over my passport along with all supporting documents and each time, all the originals, including my passport, were handed back to me.

All I can say is good luck to the OP for whatever she decides!
Old Nov 20th 2013, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Bluenose, be careful. Of you are out of the UK for 2 years the current visa will lapse and you will have to start again from the beginning under whatever new rules are in pace at the time. Having struggled once you might want to avoid that. It's a real pain having to consider planning your life around visa rules...
Or did you get her a UK passport before leaving? Have you been out of the UK for more than 90 days already this year? ( I guess you have )
Old Nov 20th 2013, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
Hi Bluenose, be careful. Of you are out of the UK for 2 years the current visa will lapse and you will have to start again from the beginning under whatever new rules are in pace at the time. Having struggled once you might want to avoid that. It's a real pain having to consider planning your life around visa rules...
Or did you get her a UK passport before leaving? Have you been out of the UK for more than 90 days already this year? ( I guess you have )
Definitely out more than 90 days this year. My wife never wanted a British passport - she is too loathe to give up her Malaysian one. The main reason we waited for her ILR was to ensure she had that before we left the UK in order to avoid problems coming back!

We have already been back to the UK in July. We are also planning on returning around August or September next year. We are aware of the 2 year rule as it stands at the moment and the 2 years should then start again from the day we leave. Of course, knowing all the hassle in the UK about immigration, they could change the 2 year absence rule at any time, then the fun would being again, I am sure!
Old Nov 20th 2013, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Is that what the two year ILR rule allows? I thought you should be able to show you are actually living in the UK and only leaving for brief periods of time, not the other way round! I guess it depends on the IO at the border.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

When my wife insisted on applying for ILR she pursuaded me to phone UKBA to ask that very question. I was told that she could be out of the country for up to 2 years and, as long as she returned within the 2 years, then the 2 years would start again from the day she left the U.K. The person I spoke to also said that she could return on holiday to the U.K. for example. So yes, provided you return at least once every 2 years then the ILR remains valid and is not up to the opinion of any Immigration Officer at any border.

We had been out of the U.K. since March this year and returned for 2 weeks in July and that is the rule that was in place when we left to come back to Malaysia on July 25th.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.