Visiting US for the first time

Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Fizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really nice
Default Visiting US for the first time

Hiya everyone

I am planning to visit US in the near furture on a VWP from UK. I have been living in the UK for nine years but never applied for naturalisation until last year. So I received my nationality in Dec 08 and got my passport in early January 09. Would the US Immigration raise an eye brow on that? beacuse I wasn't born and raised in the UK and I am a naturalised citizen.

I am planning to travel to US to get married to my Canadian partner. We cant have the marrige done either in UK or Canada due to immigration legalities, plus it will take a lot of time. Its much more faster for us to tie the knot in US, therefore we have been thinking to go there.

I do not have a job at the moment and my family supports me. I am resuming my university course soon. And after getting married in the US I am planning to return to UK and to work here part time.

Now, for me the question is going past the american immigration. I am not doing anything wrong or have no plans to over stay in US, just a week or max 2 weeks.

I am thinking of what to say to the immigration officer at the airport. Will they suspect me or send me back because I dont have a job? What sort of questions do they normally ask?

I can show the following links to UK:

A letter from my letting agents stating that I have been a tenant on this address for the past 2.5 years.

A copy of my tenancy agreement.

Some utility bills

A letter from uni, stating i will be resuming my studies this term and over summer I will be working on my dissertation.

My bank statement, I have around 4 thousand pounds in imy account.

A lettr from HSBC bank, stating i have a locker with them.

Would that be sufficient?

I have been refused entry to Canada because I couldnt show enough ties to UK and I have a fiance in Canada, so I was sent home on the next flight. It was such a dreadful experience. Now I am scared of US immi too?

Do you guys think I am fretting over nothing?
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting US for the first time

I am not an expert on these matters, but I'm assuming that if you are going to get married in the US you will be carrying appropriate attire. My concern would be proving to US immigration that you will not be marrying a US citizen, and that saying your partner is a Canadian isn't a decoy.

Are you actually travelling with your partner at the same time?
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are probably right to be concerned.
Do you have a stamp in your passport showing your removal from Canada?
Have you completed the online ESTA travel authorisation, if so what was the result?

I believe that you can get married in an Anglican church in the UK without a visa, or you could apply for a fiance visa, it may be better for your fiance to come to the UK.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

This might shed some more light on the discussion

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=594344

Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:57 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Did you ever apply for a US visa before you became a UK citizen?
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Fizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really nice

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
I am not an expert on these matters, but I'm assuming that if you are going to get married in the US you will be carrying appropriate attire. My concern would be proving to US immigration that you will not be marrying a US citizen, and that saying your partner is a Canadian isn't a decoy.

Are you actually travelling with your partner at the same time?
No my partner will drive to US, he comes to US quite often because he has a brother there in Chicago. I wont be carrying any wedding attire with me. It will be just a simple court marriage. My husband will bring my clothes from Canada.

I dont know how to prove my intentions
Old Mar 1st 2009, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crg14624
Did you ever apply for a US visa before you became a UK citizen?
No I have never applied for a US visa before on any passport.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
This might shed some more light on the discussion

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=594344

I guess that scrubs the Anglican idea then.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Norri
what do you mean? I already started looking at the anglican church idea
Old Mar 1st 2009, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

yeh...that's what I thought
Old Mar 1st 2009, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

I think you are probably right to be concerned.
Do you have a stamp in your passport showing your removal from Canada?
Have you completed the online ESTA travel authorisation, if so what was the result?

I believe that you can get married in an Anglican church in the UK without a visa, or you could apply for a fiance visa, it may be better for your fiance to come to the UK.
Ni i didnt have any stamp on my passport, I signed a document stating I have withdrawn my visa application.
So what do u guys suggest about my visit to US?

Last edited by Fizzy123; Mar 1st 2009 at 5:31 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fizzy123
what do you mean? I already started looking at the anglican church idea
In the other thread you say you had an Islamic marriage, I assumed you may not want to have an Anglican ceremony.

But if it works for you, check it out.