Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Visiting the US again: Need some advice pls

Visiting the US again: Need some advice pls

Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:27 am
Just Joined

nessundio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visiting the US again: Need some advice pls

Hi everyone,

I posted a question in this forum a couple of weeks back and since then i've gone on to discover some answers for myself in relation to that first topic. Anyways, i do have another question and i've been researching around but i thought it would be good to ask the people that seem to know best.

Basically, im travelling back to the USA on the VWP at the end of august to visit my US girlfriend for just over 2 weeks (15 days to be exact) then my GF is gonna travel back to the UK with me for 2 weeks!

Now okay, i was in the USA at the beginning of May this year visiting her on the VWP. It was my first time ever to the US and i didnt get a hard time from immigration or anything because at the time i was still single and my now GF was just a friend at the time - so when they asked the purpse of my visit i was truthful and said 'visiting friends'.

So i guess what i want to know is this: Is it gonna cause me all sorts of trouble when i get to immigration if i tell them im there to visit my US girlfriend? Of course i have no intention of breaking the law and overstaying my welcome in the US but i guess the officers dont know that! Would it be better to simply say that im there to visit friends again?

Its just that i've read some horror stories where people have been taken off to a room for further questioning when they mention the 'US girlfriend' thing. Would it be advisable for me to take proof of ties back home? And if so, what should i take?

thanks
Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:35 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting the US again: Need some advice pls

Originally Posted by nessundio
So i guess what i want to know is this: Is it gonna cause me all sorts of trouble when i get to immigration if i tell them im there to visit my US girlfriend? Of course i have no intention of breaking the law and overstaying my welcome in the US but i guess the officers dont know that! Would it be better to simply say that im there to visit friends again?
The rule of thumb is to answer only the question asked, and provide no further information or details unless specifically asked. So the answer to the officer's question will depend on how the officer phrases the questions.

Would it be advisable for me to take proof of ties back home? And if so, what should i take?
Bring anything that shows you have a tie to your home country. Bring anything that shows you need to be back in your own country by a certain date. Bring anything that proves you do not intend to immigrate to the USA on this VWP visit. No, the return part of your ticket is not enough proof.

Rene
Old Jun 19th 2009, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Visiting the US again: Need some advice pls

i'm constantly amazed and the new and varied questions i get asked every time i flow over to visit my man, which i've been doing every 3 months for over 2 years.... examples are:

"Why are you staying in a hotel and not his house?"

"have you ever spoken to this man before?"

"You don't currently work? so your ex pays you maintenance so you can visit other men?" (that one caused a noticeable frown , but i smiled as i told the lady i was independently wealthy. she shut up after that!)

and my personal favorite...

"why are you seeing a man over here instead of one in your home town"

I usually carry pictures of my kids, my drivers licence with my address of the house i own, i tell them my car is parked at Gatwick and it has to be picked up.... i DON'T get mad at the crazy questions, and thats my advice to you really.... just, answer truthfully, briefly, and dont tell them your hopes and dreams for a lifetime in the States

Maddy xx
Old Jun 19th 2009, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

NotworkSte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Bring anything that shows you have a tie to your home country. Bring anything that shows you need to be back in your own country by a certain date. Bring anything that proves you do not intend to immigrate to the USA on this VWP visit. No, the return part of your ticket is not enough proof.

Rene
When I went through Newark last time the PoE officer asked if I had my return ticket or itinerary handy. I did not so he took me to the area downstairs for further questioning, and on the lift had said if I had of shown him that, he would have let me in. The next officer downstairs did not ask to see it though, didn't ask to see anythnig actually.

I guess it's all down to the subjective nature of the officers discretion. I definitely would agree with you and have other evidence, I have a letter from from HR from my work with me too confirming I employment.

-NWS
Old Jun 19th 2009, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Is it gonna cause me all sorts of trouble when i get to immigration if i tell them im there to visit my US girlfriend?
She's still a "friend" isn't she? What makes you think you have to say anything different? If the officer asks, "Are you visiting your girlfriend?" you say "yes"... because that's the truth. If he doesn't ask the question, however, you are not obligated to volunteer that information.

Ian
Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:59 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

I posted a question in this forum a couple of weeks back and since then i've gone on to discover some answers for myself in relation to that first topic. Anyways, i do have another question and i've been researching around but i thought it would be good to ask the people that seem to know best.

Basically, im travelling back to the USA on the VWP at the end of august to visit my US girlfriend for just over 2 weeks (15 days to be exact) then my GF is gonna travel back to the UK with me for 2 weeks!

Now okay, i was in the USA at the beginning of May this year visiting her on the VWP. It was my first time ever to the US and i didnt get a hard time from immigration or anything because at the time i was still single and my now GF was just a friend at the time - so when they asked the purpse of my visit i was truthful and said 'visiting friends'.

Its just that i've read some horror stories where people have been taken off to a room for further questioning when they mention the 'US girlfriend' thing. Would it be advisable for me to take proof of ties back home? And if so, what should i take?

thanks
Considering that the last visit was for 2 weeks and not 89 days, you should be okay even if visiting a girlfriend. Sometimes claiming "friends" and then having it discovered that it's actually a "girlfriend" can lead them to smell blood in the water and go into a deportation frenzy. There are pros and cons to each avenue.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg14624
... can lead them to smell blood in the water and go into a deportation frenzy.
I had to smile when I read this... because I'm not sure you can deport someone who hasn't actually been admitted!

Ian
Old Jun 19th 2009, 4:01 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Just say that you are on holiday. That's what my husband always said. Although they might question you a bit since you were only recently here. Just answer the questions and don't give out any info that they don't ask.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

nessundio is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
She's still a "friend" isn't she? What makes you think you have to say anything different? If the officer asks, "Are you visiting your girlfriend?" you say "yes"... because that's the truth. If he doesn't ask the question, however, you are not obligated to volunteer that information.

Ian
Well this is true i guess. I'll just answer the questions that are put to me, truthfully and not offer up any other info unless asked. Sound advice, thanks.

I dont suppose anyone knows if its gonna be worse for my GF when she visits the UK with me? This will be her first time to the UK.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 6:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Well this is true i guess. I'll just answer the questions that are put to me, truthfully and not offer up any other info unless asked. Sound advice, thanks.

I dont suppose anyone knows if its gonna be worse for my GF when she visits the UK with me? This will be her first time to the UK.
Same applies to your GF when she visits you in the UK. UK asks the same questions at the POE that US does. I've seen a few unlucky girls turned away because they immediately said they are coming to "live" with their boyfriend for a while, before deciding to marry, etc.

She should also just answer the questions asked, without providing details until asked.

Rene
Old Jun 19th 2009, 8:39 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I had to smile when I read this... because I'm not sure you can deport someone who hasn't actually been admitted!

Ian
I figured someone would mention that detail. So here goes:

Technically, nobody is "deported" from the US if you use current US immigration law definitions. It's all been called removal or in this case it would be a visa waiver refusal. They still have agents with the title of "Deportation Officer" but they technically do removals. Nobody has been "deported" for over a decade.

If you use the Merriam-Webster definition and ignore the INA definitions, a visa waiver refusal would be considered a deportation.

It's defined as "the removal from a country of an alien whose presence is unlawful or prejudicial".

Now this person would have deplaned and set foot on US soil. No matter how the INA is worded, if they then put him back on a plane out of the US, it would be a deportation based on the plain language definition of the word.