British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Visiting the SSA after citizenship (also GE) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/visiting-ssa-after-citizenship-also-ge-929149/)

livinginnyc Nov 9th 2019 3:37 am

Visiting the SSA after citizenship (also GE)

Hi all,

So a promise is a promise, and I wrote on another thread i'd report back as there was some 'up in the air' notes about how the SSA treats naturalized citizens when they go in to update their file.

So this/last week, I decided to get it over and done with and leave work early on two different days to visit a GE enrollment center and the SSA to update my global entry info and social security.

Global Entry -
I couldn't see how to actually book an appointment online, so just went without an appointment with my GE card & US passport, a friendly CBP agent(!!) asked for my last name & appointment time while I was sitting in the waiting room; explained to him the situation and he took my card, passport disappeared off for a minute or two and told me I was all set. I was in the airport for no more than 5 minutes at best (pro - was home early, con - was an expensive trip for 5 mins!).

I'll be honest - I was skeptical it was done that fast, so logged into the TTP on CBP.gov and it was all there!

SSA -
I went to an SSA office in Manhattan, and signed in via their kiosk, there were about 40 people in the waiting room, but I had my paperwork pre-set so got fast tracked into a line. Handed over the info & again my US passport and my file was updated in about 8 minutes of hanging around and making small talk with the clerk while she typed in info. She confirmed that new citizens get a new card, but my current one is perfectly fine - I just get an extra one for free (as there is the 10 limit in a lifetime). It will turn up at some point in the next two weeks.

I expected this to be very very slow & painful but I was in/out the building under 30 minutes; not sure if I was very lucky or if they process changes faster than people requesting SSN's.etc (they split people into three groups based on why they were there).

Note - E-Verify will not update to show you're a citizen until after you've visited SSA.

Note on passport -
My passport book turned up 7 days to the day (literally) that I sent off my application (I paid for expedited service, and expedited return fees). My certificate of naturalization came back 5 days after that, and my passport card (as I ordered one) was another 3 days after that. USPS did a number on my certificate as they shoved it into a mailbox :mad: but I was able to get it looking like new by placing it between two table cloths and ironing it on the lightest heat very, very gently. (I'll admit I was... nervous until my certificate was returned).

tht Nov 9th 2019 10:46 pm

Re: Visiting the SSA after citizenship (also GE)

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12761159)
Hi all,

So a promise is a promise, and I wrote on another thread i'd report back as there was some 'up in the air' notes about how the SSA treats naturalized citizens when they go in to update their file.

So this/last week, I decided to get it over and done with and leave work early on two different days to visit a GE enrollment center and the SSA to update my global entry info and social security.

Global Entry -
I couldn't see how to actually book an appointment online, so just went without an appointment with my GE card & US passport, a friendly CBP agent(!!) asked for my last name & appointment time while I was sitting in the waiting room; explained to him the situation and he took my card, passport disappeared off for a minute or two and told me I was all set. I was in the airport for no more than 5 minutes at best (pro - was home early, con - was an expensive trip for 5 mins!).

I'll be honest - I was skeptical it was done that fast, so logged into the TTP on CBP.gov and it was all there!

SSA -
I went to an SSA office in Manhattan, and signed in via their kiosk, there were about 40 people in the waiting room, but I had my paperwork pre-set so got fast tracked into a line. Handed over the info & again my US passport and my file was updated in about 8 minutes of hanging around and making small talk with the clerk while she typed in info. She confirmed that new citizens get a new card, but my current one is perfectly fine - I just get an extra one for free (as there is the 10 limit in a lifetime). It will turn up at some point in the next two weeks.

I expected this to be very very slow & painful but I was in/out the building under 30 minutes; not sure if I was very lucky or if they process changes faster than people requesting SSN's.etc (they split people into three groups based on why they were there).

Note - E-Verify will not update to show you're a citizen until after you've visited SSA.

Note on passport -
My passport book turned up 7 days to the day (literally) that I sent off my application (I paid for expedited service, and expedited return fees). My certificate of naturalization came back 5 days after that, and my passport card (as I ordered one) was another 3 days after that. USPS did a number on my certificate as they shoved it into a mailbox :mad: but I was able to get it looking like new by placing it between two table cloths and ironing it on the lightest heat very, very gently. (I'll admit I was... nervous until my certificate was returned).

ok so reading this I guess I do have to go to the SSA to update for e-verify.... May try the local Bridgeport one to avoid the lines in the City.

Owen778 Nov 10th 2019 12:53 am

SSA -

That is interesting. I went in to the Anchorage office on Tuesday. Waited around for half an hour (better than usual, by all accounts). When the clerk saw my current SS card, she said she wouldn't order me a new one.

rpjs Nov 11th 2019 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Owen778 (Post 12761509)
That is interesting. I went in to the Anchorage office on Tuesday. Waited around for half an hour (better than usual, by all accounts). When the clerk saw my current SS card, she said she wouldn't order me a new one.

Yeah I was offered the option of a new card when I went in to report my naturalization, but as my current card doesn't bear the not valid for employment without additional documentation annotation I decided not to get a new one.

gad33 Nov 13th 2019 4:04 pm

Hi all,

SSA -

You said you had your paperwork pre set. What paperwork did you take with you?

livinginnyc Nov 16th 2019 4:03 pm

Sorry for the late reply!

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 12762332)
Yeah I was offered the option of a new card when I went in to report my naturalization, but as my current card doesn't bear the not valid for employment without additional documentation annotation I decided not to get a new one.

Yeah my card is the same deal as yours (just looked like a normal card, no notice of not valid.etc), but I wasn't given the option on if I wanted a new card or not - I was just told 'a new one will be with you by mail in 2 weeks'.

Originally Posted by gad33 (Post 12763453)
You said you had your paperwork pre set. What paperwork did you take with you?

I used the SS-5 document, and filled it out on the PDF first and then printed it - https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

gad33 Nov 22nd 2019 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12764727)

I used the SS-5 document, and filled it out on the PDF first and then printed it - https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

Thanks for confirming that. I wanted to check there wasn't any additional forms/papers I had to take.

(And for Rete who typed whats the use, we all know what it's like dealing with the government so it doesn't hurt to double check.)

Rete Nov 22nd 2019 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by gad33 (Post 12767832)
Thanks for confirming that. I wanted to check there wasn't any additional forms/papers I had to take.

(And for Rete who typed whats the use, we all know what it's like dealing with the government so it doesn't hurt to double check.)

Yes, we do. Did the K-1, marriage, AOS, ROC and Naturalization paperwork for my husband. I went with him through SSA, got rebuffed and threatened there with removal from the office for insisting I was right, found out with one simple phone call that you go to another SSA office and get the correct results from someone who isn't on a power trip. Know what, I did it all without a group to hold my hand.

BTW, how in heaven's name do you know what my comment was for????????????????????????????????

MarylandNed Nov 22nd 2019 4:03 pm

SSA -

This was also my experience a few years back. I actually didn't know that I had to update the SSA after becoming a USC. About 5 years after we all became USC's, my eldest daughter was applying for a student loan and checked the box on the application indicating that she was a USC. She then got a letter from the US Dept of Education stating that they could not verify her status as a USC in the SSA database. So we all went into the SSA with our US passports to have our records updated and all received new SSN cards in the mail shortly afterwards. It worked because none of my other kids had any issues getting student loans when it was their turn to apply.

MidAtlantic Nov 22nd 2019 7:22 pm

When I became a citizen, I received this: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...PDFs/M-767.pdf which alerted me to the need to go to the SSA.

It was some years ago but I recall being in and out in less than 30 minutes.