Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Visiting my girlfriend in the US with a UK criminal record.

Visiting my girlfriend in the US with a UK criminal record.

Old Aug 13th 2019, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

nelson2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visiting my girlfriend in the US with a UK criminal record.

Thanks for your reply, clearly there is some misunderstanding here....I am referring to a waiver of ineligibility for an immigrant visa....see my earlier post i.e.
  •  
    1. the activities for which the alien is inadmissible occurred more than 15 years before the date of the application for a visa, admission to the US or adjustment of status, and the alien’s admission would not be contrary to the national welfare, safety, or security of the US, and the alien has been rehabilitated.
this activity or activities may be a CIMT etc.... Hope my explanation puts this matter to rest. This article can be found at www.usvisalawyers.co.uk

Last edited by nelson2; Aug 13th 2019 at 4:20 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 4:18 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't. Post either the link you are referring too or the section of the INA where the law reflects your statement.

This is the 3rd time I've asked for it.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Misinformation passed off as fact?
Old Aug 13th 2019, 4:38 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

< snip >
Still waiting for that link. Of course you don't have to provide it, but being unable to support your argument with evidence isn't exactly the sure route to credibility.

Last edited by Noorah101; Aug 13th 2019 at 6:35 pm. Reason: Off topic snipped
Old Aug 13th 2019, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
It doesn't. Post either the link you are referring too or the section of the INA where the law reflects your statement.

This is the 3rd time I've asked for it.
Here you go.
Any foreign national convicted of, or who admits having committed, or who admits committing acts which constitute the essential elements of a crime involving moral turpitude ( other than a purely political offense) or an attempt or conspiracy to commit such a crime is inadmissible. Section 212(a)(2)(A) of the Act, 8 U.S.C. § 1182(a)(2)(A).
Individuals found inadmissible under section 212(a)(2)(A) of the Act for a crime involving moral turpitude may seek a discretionary waiver of inadmissibility under section 212(h) of the Act. Where the activities resulting in inadmissibility occurred more than 15 years before the date of the application, a waiver is available if admission to the United States would not be contrary to the national welfare,
Matter of D-Z
safety, or security of the United States, and the foreign national has been rehabilitated. Section 212(h)(l)(A) of the Act. n: however, the foreign national's conviction is for a violent or dangerous crime, USCIS may not grant a waiver unless the foreign national also shows "extraordinary circumstances" with the final stipulation that, even if such a showing is made, the waiver can still be denied because of the gravity of the offense. 8 C.F.R. § 212.(7)(d).
Old Aug 13th 2019, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

The Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rushman has a reputation beyond repute

I got my US Visa through the ineligibilty waiver.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 6:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nelson2
Here you go.
Any foreign national convicted of, or who admits having committed, or who admits committing acts which constitute the essential elements of a crime involving moral turpitude ( other than a purely political offense) or an attempt or conspiracy to commit such a crime is inadmissible. Section 212(a)(2)(A) of the Act, 8 U.S.C. § 1182(a)(2)(A).
Individuals found inadmissible under section 212(a)(2)(A) of the Act for a crime involving moral turpitude may seek a discretionary waiver of inadmissibility under section 212(h) of the Act. Where the activities resulting in inadmissibility occurred more than 15 years before the date of the application, a waiver is available if admission to the United States would not be contrary to the national welfare,
Matter of D-Z
safety, or security of the United States, and the foreign national has been rehabilitated. Section 212(h)(l)(A) of the Act. n: however, the foreign national's conviction is for a violent or dangerous crime, USCIS may not grant a waiver unless the foreign national also shows "extraordinary circumstances" with the final stipulation that, even if such a showing is made, the waiver can still be denied because of the gravity of the offense. 8 C.F.R. § 212.(7)(d).
Which says what we have been saying, no need to wait 15 years.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Fireant is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your replies guys.
It's really appreciated and I've gained more knowledge of the situation from you than I have via Google and other forums.

Just one question though.

I read this in the moral turpitude sticky on the forum page:

The Petty Offense Exception. There is a “petty offense” exception. If the conviction was for a petty offense, the alien may still be admissible. A petty offense is defined as one in which (a) the maximum possible penalty for the crime did not exceed imprisonment for one year and (b) the alien was not sentenced to a term of imprisonment in excess of six months -- whether the sentence was ultimately executed or served or not. The petty offense exception is not available if more than one CIMT offense was committed or admitted.

As I've never been in prison, and the crimes I committed were community service and / or fines. Would I be under tlThe petty offence exception as mentioned above?

Anyway, once again, thanks for all your help with this. It seems there is light at the end of the tunnel after all, (well apart from the 15 years comments) 😂.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 7:08 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

DOS foreign affairs manual has that guidance, the rest of the section makes interesting reading.

“FAM 302.3-2(D)(1) (U) Waivers for Immigrants

(CT:VISA-883; 07-02-2019)

a. (U) Principal Alien: An immigrant alien who is ineligible under INA 212(a)(2)(A)(i)(I) is legally eligible to apply for a waiver of inadmissibility under INA 212(h) if it is established to the satisfaction of the Secretary of Homeland Security (DHS) that:

(1) (U) The activities for which the alien is inadmissible occurred more than 15 years before the date of the alien’s application for a visa for admission, or adjustment of status; the alien’s admission to the United States would not be contrary to the national welfare, safety, or security, and the alien has been rehabilitated; or

(2) (U) In certain cases involving close relatives (see 9 FAM 302.3-2(D)(1) paragraph b); or

(3) (U) If the alien is a Violence Against Women’s Act (VAWA) self-petitioner.

(4) (U) No Waiver Available: No waiver is available if the applicant has been convicted of (or has admitted committing acts that constitute) murder, criminal acts involving torture, or conspiracy to commit either murder or criminal acts involving torture.

(5) (U) Additional Information: For additional information see 9 FAM 305.2-3(C) above.“

https://fam.state.gov/FAM/09FAM/09FAM030203.html
Old Aug 13th 2019, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

What was your maximum possible penalties?
Old Aug 13th 2019, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Boiler, I disagree with your interpretation...see the Administrative Appeals Decision …

Non-Precedent Decision of the Administrative Appeals Office
DATE: NOV. 21, 2018
MOTION ON ADMINISTRATIVE APPEALS OFFICE DECISION
APPLICATION: FORM 1-601, APPLICATION FOR WAIVER OF GROUNDS OF INADMISSIBILITY
The Applicant, a citizen of Haiti currently residing in the United States, has applied to adjust status to that of a lawful permanent resident. A foreign national seeking to adjust status must be "admissible" or receive a waiver of inadmissibility. The Applicant was found inadmissible for a crime involving moral turpitude (CIMT) and seeks a waiver of that inadmissibility. Immigration and Nationality Act (the Act) section 212(h), 8 U.S.C. § 1182(h). U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) may grant this discretionary waiver if refusal of admission would result in extreme hardship to any qualifying relatives, or, because the activities for which the foreign national is inadmissible occurred at least 15 years ago, if the foreign national's admission would not be contrary to the national welfare, safety, or security of the United States, and the foreign national has been rehabilitated.
The Director of the West Palm Beach, Florida Field Office denied the application, finding the Applicant inadmissible for having committed a CIMT. The Director then found the Applicant was not eligible for a discretionary waiver because it had not been 15 years since the events which led to her conviction nor had she shown her U.S. citizen father, her only qualifying relative, would experience extreme hardship as a result of her waiver being denied.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Fireant, If you were convicted in a Magistrates Court, then its more likely than not that you will qualify under the petty offence exemption. If convicted in a Crown Court, then petty offence exemption will not apply. The max sentence of 7 years for theft will only apply if convicted in a Crown Court. The max sentence in a Magistrates Court is 6 months.

Last edited by nelson2; Aug 13th 2019 at 8:07 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nelson2
Boiler, I disagree with your interpretation...see the Administrative Appeals Decision …

Non-Precedent Decision of the Administrative Appeals Office
DATE: NOV. 21, 2018
MOTION ON ADMINISTRATIVE APPEALS OFFICE DECISION
APPLICATION: FORM 1-601, APPLICATION FOR WAIVER OF GROUNDS OF INADMISSIBILITY
The Applicant, a citizen of Haiti currently residing in the United States, has applied to adjust status to that of a lawful permanent resident. A foreign national seeking to adjust status must be "admissible" or receive a waiver of inadmissibility. The Applicant was found inadmissible for a crime involving moral turpitude (CIMT) and seeks a waiver of that inadmissibility. Immigration and Nationality Act (the Act) section 212(h), 8 U.S.C. § 1182(h). U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) may grant this discretionary waiver if refusal of admission would result in extreme hardship to any qualifying relatives, or, because the activities for which the foreign national is inadmissible occurred at least 15 years ago, if the foreign national's admission would not be contrary to the national welfare, safety, or security of the United States, and the foreign national has been rehabilitated.
The Director of the West Palm Beach, Florida Field Office denied the application, finding the Applicant inadmissible for having committed a CIMT. The Director then found the Applicant was not eligible for a discretionary waiver because it had not been 15 years since the events which led to her conviction nor had she shown her U.S. citizen father, her only qualifying relative, would experience extreme hardship as a result of her waiver being denied.
Yet again contradicts what you stated.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Yet again contradicts what you stated.
At the risk of dragging this thread even further off topic, I simply can't understand the point that you and civilservant have been trying to make.

Reading the passages that have been indicated in the FAM, it does seem to be suggesting that an immigrant visa waiver of ineligibility (of the type that the OP might eventually wish to pursue in the case of marriage to the USC significant other) won't be considered if less than 15 years has passed since the offences or other activity which made the applicant ineligible.

Unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious, where is the contradiction and what exactly is wrong with what nelson2 has been trying to say?
Old Aug 13th 2019, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
At the risk of dragging this thread even further off topic, I simply can't understand the point that you and civilservant have been trying to make.

Reading the passages that have been indicated in the FAM, it does seem to be suggesting that an immigrant visa waiver of ineligibility (of the type that the OP might eventually wish to pursue in the case of marriage to the USC significant other) won't be considered if less than 15 years has passed since the offences or other activity which made the applicant ineligible.

Unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious, where is the contradiction and what exactly is wrong with what nelson2 has been trying to say?
It does not say that, there is no 15 year wait, it is a or situation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.