British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Visa's approved. Thanks! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/visas-approved-thanks-889947/)

GeneralPowerpoint Jan 11th 2017 4:37 pm

Visa's approved. Thanks!

Hi all,

Just a quick post to thank the board collectively for the help and advice I've received over the last few months. Thought I'd pay it forward and share my experience for any newcomers.

My then gf's employer started talking loosely about offering her a role in the NYC office back in April/May 2016. We'd be discussing for some time the idea of working and moving abroad for a couple of years before we started to put serious roots down. We're both around 30.

We knew she'd be transferring on either an L-1A or an L-1B and at the time I was keen to secure a visa in my own right as I was initially nervous (probably irrationally) about my own status being tied to her employment.

Working in a creative industry (advertising) I'm fortunate in that I'm not employed on the basis of any particular professional qualification and work in a sector where foreign employees are widespread and often actively sought due to their ability to bring an outside perspective, although I do have a bachelors level degree.

I initially looked at the propsect of an E visa by working for a British owned agency, or an O visa based on some of my creative work to date.

I spoke to two immigration firms to get their perspective and ultimately ruled both out as being unnecessarily complicated for a less favourable Visa than what I could obtain by getting married. Which almost everybody quite sensibly on british expats recommended.

We got married in August in a simple civil cemerony with our parents in attendance, which we have kept secret from our wider circle ahead of having a proper ceremony in a couple of years.

After a few months delay we were finally informed that the L-1A visa petition was ready for submission in mid-December and received news it had been provisionally approved in time for xmas on the 23rd.

DS-160's were a nightmare. Took us something in the region of 3 hours to get through as we were so nervous about making a mistake. I broke my foot in the process.

We booked our appointment at the embassy in London early in January, were in the queue by 7:15, and out the door by 8:45. My now wife was asked the standard questions "who do you work with", "what do they do" and I was asked if I'd look for work out there which I replied that I would.

The fairly cheery official told us he was approving the visas and we went off for a nice breakfast.

All in all a relatively painless experience once the application was submitted.

For anyone in a similar position - just get married. The Visa's better, it saves a lot of headache. And actually we quite enjoyed our little secret wedding.

Next step is to find a job in NYC! We fly in a few weeks.

Good luck to anyone starting out the process themselves. It's stressful but it feels great when you see that bit of paper glued into your passport!

Thanks all!

ian-mstm Jan 11th 2017 4:44 pm

Re: Visa's approved. Thanks!

Originally Posted by GeneralPowerpoint (Post 12149298)
I broke my foot in the process.

Wow - that's crazy! You don't usually see that sort of behavior from a body part during completion of USCIS forms!

The fairly cheery official told us he was approving the visas and we went off for a nice breakfast.
Congratulations! :)

Ian

tom169 Jan 11th 2017 5:35 pm

Congratulations and all the best.

Noorah101 Jan 11th 2017 5:38 pm

Congratulations!

You know you will need to apply for an EAD in order to work, right?

Rene

Rete Jan 11th 2017 5:56 pm

Congratulations and I know that the lovely people here who assisted you, I won't name names in fear of leaving someone out, thank you for coming back and updating us on your success. Best wises to you and the Mrs. on your recent marriage and may your job search in NYC be fruitful.

What did you kick to break the foot :ohmy:

livinginnyc Jan 11th 2017 6:14 pm

Congratulations! Enjoy NYC!!!! :)

Also hope your foot heals soon, I broke my foot about 10 years ago (not doing USCIS stuff), I know how painful & difficult it is hobbling about!

H Bomb Jan 12th 2017 1:38 pm

They didn't ask me anything when we went for our interview (I was L2 & wife was L1).

Good luck with your move - you'll love NYC, it's great here!

Now you have all the fun of EADs, SSNs, health insurance and the US tax system! Will make the visa process look like a walk in the park!

GeneralPowerpoint Jan 16th 2017 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12149344)
Congratulations!

You know you will need to apply for an EAD in order to work, right?

Rene

Yep, I know. :nod:

GeneralPowerpoint Jan 16th 2017 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 12149305)
Wow - that's crazy! You don't usually see that sort of behavior from a body part during completion of USCIS forms!

Congratulations! :)

Ian

Tried to hastily jump over a chair whilst retrieving my P60 from 2008 in another room. Fell over the chair and broke my foot.

Should have just picked up the chair and moved it in retrospect. So it's not entirely the US Government's fault.

GeneralPowerpoint Jan 16th 2017 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by H Bomb (Post 12149969)
They didn't ask me anything when we went for our interview (I was L2 & wife was L1).

Good luck with your move - you'll love NYC, it's great here!

Now you have all the fun of EADs, SSNs, health insurance and the US tax system! Will make the visa process look like a walk in the park!

I'm planning a flying visit soon to take care of the EAD application and get the clock ticking. Will cross my fingers they don't call me for biometrics and necessitate another trip.

Do you reckon I can get a decent chunk of the essentials done in 3/4 days?

I'd like to get EAD at a minimum but if there's anything else I should take care of?

Wife's going this Sunday to get the flat set up.

ian-mstm Jan 16th 2017 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by GeneralPowerpoint (Post 12153078)
Do you reckon I can get a decent chunk of the essentials done in 3/4 days?

It'll take about 10 days for your immigration information to make its way through the SAVE system, so it's not likely that you can get much done in 3 or 4 days. You will get an appointment for biometrics for the EAD and that might take a few weeks. I suggest you plan on a return trip to take care of biometrics and SSN.

Ian

GeneralPowerpoint Jan 16th 2017 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 12153112)
It'll take about 10 days for your immigration information to make its way through the SAVE system, so it's not likely that you can get much done in 3 or 4 days. You will get an appointment for biometrics for the EAD and that might take a few weeks. I suggest you plan on a return trip to take care of biometrics and SSN.

Ian

Oh, I'd read a few experiences on here where people hadn't gotten called for biometrics so I was going to take a gamble.

Presumably I can still take care of submitting the EAD application in a 3/4 day trip. Even if that's all I can do?

loubiblu Jan 16th 2017 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 12153112)

Ian

I tend to stay away from commenting on this forum and leave it to the experts like Ian, but I do read it. In my smallish group of L2 friends (around 20), no one has been called to do biometrics for their EAD. However, everyone I know who came on an immigrant visa was called for biometrics. Anecdotal I know, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone on an L2 was called.

H Bomb Jan 17th 2017 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by GeneralPowerpoint (Post 12153141)
Oh, I'd read a few experiences on here where people hadn't gotten called for biometrics so I was going to take a gamble.

Presumably I can still take care of submitting the EAD application in a 3/4 day trip. Even if that's all I can do?

Yes - you will definitely get called in for biometrics.

My memory is already quite hazy on this - but I seem to recall that they only send you your biometrics appointment via the mail - no electronic notification. I am sure someone with a better memory can correct me on this. So you may need someone to check your mail for the letter so you know when to come back.

Fred16 Jan 17th 2017 6:40 pm

My wife is on L2, applied for EAD and it arrived in the mail.
This was spring 2016
Something triggers the request for biometrics or no biometrics
Or
Its completely random

54 days from application receipt to having the EAD card in hand