Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Visa Waiver - how often and for how long?

Visa Waiver - how often and for how long?

Old Nov 15th 2006, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Waiver - how often and for how long?

Originally Posted by Boiler
Pretty much guaranteed.
As far as I could see, she wasn't refused entry or a visa. They gave her a stay of 5 days on the VWP, so nothing was refused and she doesn't need to mention it in future?
Old Nov 15th 2006, 8:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
As far as I could see, she wasn't refused entry or a visa. They gave her a stay of 5 days on the VWP, so nothing was refused and she doesn't need to mention it in future?
Applied for a B2 visa though, and didn't get it, I don't think the OP mentioned withdrawing the application....so would have to mention being denied the visa on trips using the VWP.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Applied for a B2 visa though, and didn't get it, I don't think the OP mentioned withdrawing the application....so would have to mention being denied the visa on trips using the VWP.
As far as I know once you are at the counter you have two outcomes, a visa or a denial.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

SweHurricane is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by seabiscuit
Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. I was told by the officer at the POE that I needed a visa if I intended to enter more than 3 times a year, however when I got to the embassy in London a month later to get my visa, the officers there had no idea why I'd been told that. It was false information according to them, and they'd never heard of it. I was actually left standing at the interview window for over an hour while various officers went to see management about why I may have been told this.

I faced the same problems upon entry to the US after that, and the officers simply put it down to either incorrect information or a misunderstanding between me and the officer who told me I did need a visa. I'm more than familiar with the officers at Sanford airport, and the lady that told me that, I had not seen there before, and I never saw her since. So I'm really not sure.

The catch at the embassy was that since my application had already gone through before it was concluded that it was either wrong information or a misunderstanding, I either took the visa, or it went through as a denial, which would have been even more difficult to explain! I'm sure they put something on my record about the case that was me getting a visa though.

As for proof, I have had to travel with my contract of employment, and each time I travel to the US, I had to take a new letter from my employer confirming that I was to return on such a date, confirming my job title, my length of service and salary. If you don't have your own property, then take a letter from whoever you live with (ie. parents) or your landlord confirming your continued residence there, and your intent to return.

It may seem like a lot, but it's better to be safe than sorry. The one advantage I had was that I always stayed in a hotel when I went to see my ex. Staying at his house would have been even more suspicious.
I have learned the importance of bringing paperwork with me. My last visit was the first one on which I brought with me my latest paystub, a paper showing the amount of money on my bank account, bills and so on. Next time I will take your advice and bring letters from my employer and my landlord as well - just in case...
Old Nov 15th 2006, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

seabiscuit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Is that regarding me? No, please read my post again. They didnt know why I had been told I needed to get a visa, but I was told I either had to accept the visa or not take it and have it classed as a denial.

I took the visa, and then the problems started passing border control as to why I had a visa when I didn't need one.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 10:33 pm
L D Jones

Bob wrote:
    >> No, I was specifically told by the officer to apply for a tourist visa
    >> which would apparently allow me to visit more than 3 times a year. If
    >> you read my post again, you'll see that I stated that this was
    >> incorrect information give to me. In plain english, she told me to get
    >> a tourist visa when in fact I did not require one. And I did not
    >> qualify for a K1 visa as my partner was not a USC, but there on a
    >> student visa, and I also stated that I had no intent at that stage in
    >> my life to live in the US. I was even filing a student visa for my ex
    >> to come to the UK.
    >> There IS NO rule of limits of entry to the United States, that has
    >> already been established. The information given back in December 2004
    >> was incorrect, that is the point I am making.
    >
    > There isn't any filing for a student visa in the UK, you just turn up
    > with a letter from the school saying you ahve been accepted and the
    > length of the course, you get stamped in the passport on entry, sorted.

With all the changes in the UK in the past few years regarding visas and
entry clearance it would appear this is no longer true, at least if the
prospective student is from the US

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/UK...=United+States

These days, it's probably not a good idea to just turn up in the UK
without at least investigating what documentation is required

Old Nov 16th 2006, 1:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by L D Jones
With all the changes in the UK in the past few years regarding visas and
entry clearance it would appear this is no longer true, at least if the
prospective student is from the US

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/UK...=United+States

These days, it's probably not a good idea to just turn up in the UK
without at least investigating what documentation is required
hmmm...fair enough...was a couple years since the missus came over doing the student thing
Old Nov 16th 2006, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

seabiscuit is an unknown quantity at this point

My ex is not a US citizen. He is a Peruvian national living in the US. Hence the need for a visa.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

savannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Visa Waiver - how often and for how long?

I read all of this with interest. My question is this.
I am a UK passport holder going to travel from the UK to the USA for the 90days under the VWP for a holiday. However I am currently living in spain and self employed there. I am still covered yes?
Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by savannah_boy
I am a UK passport holder going to travel from the UK to the USA for the 90days under the VWP for a holiday. However I am currently living in spain and self employed there. I am still covered yes?
Yes, but whether they allow you those 90 days would be up to the officer at POE...not many people have long holidays over here after all.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you can prove that you can support yourself for that amount of time without working, and can convince the POE officer that you are planning to leave.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

savannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
As long as you can prove that you can support yourself for that amount of time without working, and can convince the POE officer that you are planning to leave.
so if I bring bank account statements, holiday insurance documents, visa card print out with the credit limit, proof of work in spain, where I am staying in the USA, return tickets etc.. this sort of thing?

Also is it likely they could just give me less than 90 days or do they just say yes or no? I could stay for less but I have sufficient funds, will be staying with friends, and can take a break from work. What max length of stay wouldnt cause problems? Sorry if I sound naive I have not travelled for this length of time before nor to the USA since a child.
thanks

Last edited by savannah_boy; Dec 1st 2006 at 11:10 am.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

so if I bring bank account statements, holiday insurance documents, visa card print out with the credit limit, proof of work in spain, where I am staying in the USA, return tickets etc.. this sort of thing?

Also is it likely they could just give me less than 90 days or do they just say yes or no? I could stay for less but I have sufficient funds, will be staying with friends, and can take a break from work. What max length of stay wouldnt cause problems? Sorry if I sound naive I have not travelled for this length of time before nor to the USA since a child.
thanks
Take all you can but do not show it unless asked.

A couple of weeks is more normal.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

I am now in the USA for a month holiday, I was grilled quite a bit by the 2 stage check-in at madrid before boarding the flight to the USA but USA immigration were fine.

my questions is this:

- US immigration control stamped my passport for the full 90 days under the VWP so I could technically stay for the 90? (even though my return flight ticket date is prior to this?)

thanks
Old Mar 13th 2007, 8:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

my questions is this:

- US immigration control stamped my passport for the full 90 days under the VWP so I could technically stay for the 90? (even though my return flight ticket date is prior to this?)
yes you could, though not a great idea to stay the full 90 days, if a plane gets cancelled for instance...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.