Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Visa Waiver, airlines losing or not handing in our I-94Ws

Wikiposts

Visa Waiver, airlines losing or not handing in our I-94Ws

Old Jul 7th 2004, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Dingles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Waiver, airlines losing or not handing in our I-94Ws

This issue has had me stumped for a few days, and I'm probably being overly concerned so I thought someone could help me out.

I visited the US last year, on the Visa Waiver (VWP). I was only there for 30 days. On exit, however, the airline didn't correctly collect my I-94W. There was a delay in my connecting flight from Chicago to LA, and I was rushed onto my flight at LA where they should have collected the I-94W. Now, I realised this during the flight, and gave it to the purser hoping he would hand it in.

I'm sure this isn't that uncommon from some of the posts and information I've gathered but my question is this. Lets say the worst case scenarios happened, either the purser never handed it in or perhaps even more gravely, he kept it more than 60 days and then handed it in (thus putting me above the 90 days allowed), and I am flagged as an overstay.

I am intending to visit in a couple of weeks and I'm freaking out that someone will turn me back at the Port of Entry. I am taking with me the ticket stubs from my trip back last year showing I left within 30 days but if I show up as an overstay will they allow me to show them this evidence or just kick me out since under the VWP we waive our rights to contest anything.

Apparently the ICE or BCBP or whoever it is that tracks people now uses airlines electronic manifests anyway so that should show me as having timely left but you never know.

Has anyone had a similar experience?
Old Jul 7th 2004, 2:13 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Waiver, airlines losing or not handing in our I-94Ws

Originally posted by Dingles
This issue has had me stumped for a few days, and I'm probably being overly concerned so I thought someone could help me out.

I visited the US last year, on the Visa Waiver (VWP). I was only there for 30 days. On exit, however, the airline didn't correctly collect my I-94W. There was a delay in my connecting flight from Chicago to LA, and I was rushed onto my flight at LA where they should have collected the I-94W. Now, I realised this during the flight, and gave it to the purser hoping he would hand it in.

I'm sure this isn't that uncommon from some of the posts and information I've gathered but my question is this. Lets say the worst case scenarios happened, either the purser never handed it in or perhaps even more gravely, he kept it more than 60 days and then handed it in (thus putting me above the 90 days allowed), and I am flagged as an overstay.

I am intending to visit in a couple of weeks and I'm freaking out that someone will turn me back at the Port of Entry. I am taking with me the ticket stubs from my trip back last year showing I left within 30 days but if I show up as an overstay will they allow me to show them this evidence or just kick me out since under the VWP we waive our rights to contest anything.

Apparently the ICE or BCBP or whoever it is that tracks people now uses airlines electronic manifests anyway so that should show me as having timely left but you never know.

Has anyone had a similar experience?
It's not an automatic bounce. They will give you the opportunity to show evidence that you departed on time. Bring the ticket stubs and any pay stubs, receipts or other documentation to demonstrate that you left on time.