visa renewal and ACPO

Old Jan 31st 2012, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

JBSanDiego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default visa renewal and ACPO

Hi,

Could anyone offer advice on a specific situation? I am currently working in the US on a J1 visa. I have a current DS2019 (allowing me to stay) but my actual J1 visa has expired. This means that if I leave the US I can't re-enter without getting a new visa. I am planning to make a short trip back to the UK. When I applied for my original J1 visa, I needed to get an ACPO due to the fact I was once arrested for taking part in a protest. My ACPO said "No trace". My question is, since this is for a renewal of an existing visa, do I need to go through the process of getting another ACPO and getting it vetted. Sending and receiving the forms from the US will take a while, and I am not sure I will have time to fit this in before my trip (about 4 weeks away). It seems a lot of hassle for no good reason, since I don't have a record anyway, and nothing has changed since I left the UK 18 months ago, but they say the ACPO has to be issued within 6 months of the interview.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 31st 2012, 10:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: visa renewal and ACPO

Originally Posted by JBSanDiego
...but they say the ACPO has to be issued within 6 months of the interview.
Who is "they"?

Rene
Old Jan 31st 2012, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

"they" is the US embassy in London website
Old Feb 1st 2012, 12:46 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

It seems a lot of hassle for no good reason...
Really? Don't you want the visa?

... and nothing has changed since I left the UK 18 months ago...
How does the US government know that you didn't return for a weekend to see your family and got involved in a drunken brawl which ended with you being charged with GBH because you cut someone who made eye contact with your friend's sister?

No disrespect intended, but the US government isn't simply going to take your word for it.

Ian
Old Feb 1st 2012, 2:55 am
Just Joined

Yes, thanks for that Ian. But they'd be willing to take my word for it if I was an "untainted" person and had never been arrested for taking part in a protest. Also their position is inconsistent since I am currently living in the US and they are perfectly happy about this. But I can't leave and then come back without re-proving my innocence.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

But they'd be willing to take my word for it if I was an "untainted" person and had never been arrested for taking part in a protest. Also their position is inconsistent since I am currently living in the US and they are perfectly happy about this.
If consistency is your goal, the good news is that there is a tried and tested way to help ensure that your case receives consistent treatment at every stage of the process. It begins with you making the above points during your visa interview, and the bad news is that you might ultimately prefer your present, inconsistent situation.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Also their position is inconsistent...
It's their sandbox, therefore they make the rules - whether you like them or not. Your comments about the unfairness of it all suggest you believe you are somehow entitled to a visa! Respectfully, you're not... and these are the hoops through which you must jump.

If you don't want to jump, the solution is obvious.

Ian