British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Visa Possibilities (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/visa-possibilities-912820/)

keeleylouise May 15th 2018 6:58 pm

Visa Possibilities

Hi.
My partner has been awarded full funding for a PhD at a uni in New York. I'm desperately hoping I can move there too. However, I'm not sure how! He will go in on a student visa and I on the other hand would need to find work. We are also not married but have been together for 9 years. Any advice PLEASE!

Octang Frye May 15th 2018 7:06 pm

Re: Visa Possibilities

Easy. Get married.

Noorah101 May 15th 2018 7:07 pm

If you want to go on a derivative of his visa, you need to be married.

What are your qualifications for a work visa on your own?

Rene

keeleylouise May 15th 2018 7:56 pm

I have a BA Hons Spanish degree. I'm currently doing the Trinity TESOL Diploma, a Masters Qualification for EFL teaching. I have done my PGCE in Secondary education and have over 15 years teaching experience.

az2014 May 15th 2018 7:58 pm

9 years together...what you waiting for..get married.

Noorah101 May 15th 2018 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by keeleylouise (Post 12500140)
I have a BA Hons Spanish degree. I'm currently doing the Trinity TESOL Diploma, a Masters Qualification for EFL teaching. I have done my PGCE in Secondary education and have over 15 years teaching experience.

You might be able to get a teaching position in a private school but it won't be easy. Get married and get an F-2 visa.

Rene

scrubbedexpat099 May 15th 2018 10:59 pm

Get married.

tom169 May 16th 2018 10:45 am

Uhhh, even if they're married an F-2 won't allow work, and that's what this topic is about. Unless a PHD student comes on something other than an F-1...

civilservant May 16th 2018 11:55 am

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12500440)
Uhhh, even if they're married an F-2 won't allow work, and that's what this topic is about. Unless a PHD student comes on something other than an F-1...

That was my thought too while I was reading the thread... OP can you confirm the visa that your partner (soon to be spouse) would be using?

fbf2006 May 16th 2018 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12500478)
That was my thought too while I was reading the thread... OP can you confirm the visa that your partner (soon to be spouse) would be using?

Right, an F2 won't allow work. Maybe she would be able to apply for jobs at private schools while in the US, who can then sponsor her? Also she doesn't have to actually stay in the US because she has the visa stamp,

I have a question. I lived in London for a couple of years but didn't really pay attention I guess. Is it extremely common for individuals who have been together for long periods and might have children, not to be married? I'm just curious since it seems to be a common topic on this forum. Thanks!

tom169 May 16th 2018 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by fbf2006 (Post 12500563)
...I have a question. I lived in London for a couple of years but didn't really pay attention I guess. Is it extremely common for individuals who have been together for long periods and might have children, not to be married? I'm just curious since it seems to be a common topic on this forum. Thanks!

I guess it depends which circles you socialize in.

Octang Frye May 16th 2018 5:10 pm

I'm married and I have to recommend it. I opted to marry a woman person. There's a lot going for them. I was surprised.

scrubbedexpat099 May 16th 2018 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 12500618)
I'm married and I have to recommend it. I opted to marry a woman person. There's a lot going for them. I was surprised.

That seems to be different, I can see a TV show in your future.