Visa/immigration help

Old Jun 14th 2018, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa/immigration help

Well, the J-1 definition also contains the "having a residence in a foreign country which he has no intention of abandoning" requirement and in the current unforgiving climate, I would not venture to jump from J-1 to EB-2-NIW, I would probably ask for an O-1 in between
Old Jun 15th 2018, 12:44 am
Just Joined

B488 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, huge numbers of academics make this adjustment, as can be readily seen on e.g. trackitt. I know dozens myself. My understanding: if you entered the US in J-1/F-1 and the very next day submitted I-485, that would be a problem, as you clearly had immigrant intent while implying otherwise to a CBP officer. But gaining immigrant intent over the course of an extended stay in the US is allowed. In practice there is a '90 day' rule Tillerson dictated last year. This replaced a '30/60' rule, so in that sense, the nuts have been tightened.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B488
Well, huge numbers of academics make this adjustment, as can be readily seen on e.g. trackitt. I know dozens myself. My understanding: if you entered the US in J-1/F-1 and the very next day submitted I-485, that would be a problem, as you clearly had immigrant intent while implying otherwise to a CBP officer. But gaining immigrant intent over the course of an extended stay in the US is allowed. In practice there is a '90 day' rule Tillerson dictated last year. This replaced a '30/60' rule, so in that sense, the nuts have been tightened.
To be clear, I'm not saying it can't be done .I'm raising a question that an adjudicator could also raise, especially now that interviews are needed for EB AOS: whether a F-1 or J-1 continues to maintain non immigrant status , and therefore work authorization, while awaiting for an AOS adjudication, a question that Mr Tillerson's guidance (and Matter of Cavazos) does not answer.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

All the F-1 and J-1 people I know who adjusted status have indeed continued to maintain their non immigrant status. I didn't know it could be an issue. Unless something has changed that I'm unaware of.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 8:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fbf2006
All the F-1 and J-1 people I know who adjusted status have indeed continued to maintain their non immigrant status.
How can someone who adjusted status maintain a non- immigrant status? Once you adjust stays, you become a US PR and are no longer in non-immigrant status. You can't be both a PR and non-immigrant at the same time.

Rene
Old Jun 15th 2018, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
How can someone who adjusted status maintain a non- immigrant status? Once you adjust stays, you become a US PR and are no longer in non-immigrant status. You can't be both a PR and non-immigrant at the same time.

Rene
During the process of adjusting status. I'd hope I'm not stupid enough to think you can be both.
Old Jun 16th 2018, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fbf2006
All the F-1 and J-1 people I know who adjusted status have indeed continued to maintain their non immigrant status. I didn't know it could be an issue. Unless something has changed that I'm unaware of.
Go back to the INA. Read section 101(a)(15)(J)

Now look at Footnote 27 in this document https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...ntsMEMO_v2.pdf

USCIS adjudicators now have broad discretion, and one of them may well consider working under OPT after submitting an AOS application as a showing that you do intend to abandon your foreign residence