Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

which visa and help please for my situation

which visa and help please for my situation

Old Jul 25th 2017, 4:33 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which visa and help please for my situation

Originally Posted by batchy_21
I could ask about an address in the US and or phone number as well thanks for the help.
Your probably right I always look at all the requirements and I am strict with myself habit I suppose! My husband saves all sorts of jobs and his motto is "don't ask don't get".. hate to say it but he is probably right !!. I am starting to think if they struggle to fill a post and if I am only 70% qualified my PhD can go along way to prove education, dedication etc. The J-1 visa I cant go for as I am over the age limit its from 18-30 apparently.
I don't think you have mentioned whether your husband will want to work in the US if you are able to find a position. If he hopes to do so, be aware that some of the visas that have been cited would not permit him to work without sponsorship of his own.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

batchy_21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I don't think you have mentioned whether your husband will want to work in the US if you are able to find a position. If he hopes to do so, be aware that some of the visas that have been cited would not permit him to work without sponsorship of his own.

Ideally yes he would like to work he doesn't have education/skills that are in demand though. I know the H1B and o-1 he couldn't work. The eb-2 he can and the L-1B he can. I know he could study on some which is an option.

I have requested a meeting at work about transferring as I have uncovered vacancies in my field. The L1-B would be the best option considering I work for a US company!
Old Jul 25th 2017, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

I could ask about an address in the US and or phone number as well thanks for the help.
Your probably right I always look at all the requirements and I am strict with myself habit I suppose! My husband saves all sorts of jobs and his motto is "don't ask don't get".. hate to say it but he is probably right !!. I am starting to think if they struggle to fill a post and if I am only 70% qualified my PhD can go along way to prove education, dedication etc. The J-1 visa I cant go for as I am over the age limit its from 18-30 apparently.
The J-1 is a very broad visa category with very different purposes. There is no age limit for your J-1 category, which is for academic researchers. (Unless you intend to sell popcorn at baseball fields for 8 weeks during the summer?)

As said above, you need to network. Go to conferences in the USA and talk to people. Ask your PhD mentor to write an email to his friends in the USA.

The J-1 is cheap for the University and not a big deal to obtain. The problem is that the J-1 is a non-immigrant visa, which means you are not meant to apply for a Greencard. The H1B is better as you can apply for a Greencard but the H1-B is more expensive for the University. My university will not apply for an H1-B until you have been on the J-1 for 5 years.

Keep hassling your company/manager for an L visa.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved from UK to Canada, but arranged my academic post at the University in Canada while still in the UK. I have also worked in Industry in the bio science field in the UK. So I have experience in industry and academia.

Your best option is to get a transfer to the USA within your company.

Post-doc rout is not good idea at 41 years of age.

You can try applying for jobs in industry, if your track record is good enough they will walk you through the USA visa system or they should pay for a lawyer to cover your costs for the visa.

Its highly unlikely you will get a faculty position in a University unless you have outstanding international research/publication track record.

You can only apply for government research funding once you have a faculty position.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geoff52
I moved from UK to Canada, but arranged my academic post at the University in Canada while still in the UK. I have also worked in Industry in the bio science field in the UK. So I have experience in industry and academia.
In the USA as well?

True. Esp. in a company with pertinent US interests.

The OP's only realistic academic option.

You can try applying for jobs in industry, if your track record is good enough they will walk you through the USA visa system or they should pay for a lawyer to cover your costs for the visa.
Next to no chance, forlorn at best. (edit: This MAY not be the case in the OP's field, but I still doubt it).

Its highly unlikely you will get a faculty position in a University unless you have outstanding international research/publication track record.
Agreed. If the OP wants to conduct research, yes. If sponsorship is required even desperate teaching colleges will be put off. So most will be out of reach.

You can only apply for government research funding once you have a faculty position.
Absolute rubbish. Many training grants (even those equivalent to 3 years worth of funding, with enough left over to hire post-docs) require US citizenship, residency, or proof of eligibility to work (visa etc), AND a willing head of department to sign off. No need for a faculty position. How do I know? I did it. HOWEVER, some, if not the majority of these grants, want a promise that the candidate will get a faculty position in the future..

Last edited by PetrifiedExPat; Jul 26th 2017 at 4:36 am.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

When I applied for RESEARCH FUNDING FROM THE GOVERNMENT I had to get my grant application signed by the head of department of the University, the University Dean and the university Research Office,

The grant application was only signed by these people if you were member of the faculty.

The grant awarding body would only consider grant applications if it had all the above signatures.

This was the procedure for submitting research grant applications at the University of Toronto.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

When I applied for RESEARCH FUNDING FROM THE GOVERNMENT I had to get my grant application signed by the head of department of the University, the University Dean and the university Research Office,

The grant application was only signed by these people if you were member of the faculty.

The grant awarding body would only consider grant applications if it had all the above signatures.

This was the procedure for submitting research grant applications at the University of Toronto.
Right, perhaps great advice for the Canada forum, we are talking about an OP who wants to make a success of themselves in the US. You guys up north are meant to be smarter than us..

My eyes burn, too.

Last edited by PetrifiedExPat; Jul 26th 2017 at 4:33 am.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 4:32 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It might be different in the USA?

Rene
Old Jul 26th 2017, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It might be different in the USA?

Rene
There are a few routes for non-faculty and non-US citizens (for grant funding!), but, as our Canadian friend points out, at 41 it is not probably worth it. Too much time to invest for little $$$$.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice all. I thought I Would give an update to where I am.
As predicted trying to start any dialogue from the UK with US employers is hard work!

I managed to have a meeting at work to express my desire to move to the US and utilise the L-1B visa. They seem more open to the idea especially after I contacted previous UK employees in the US office !.

I have also contacted an attorney and after utilising Google scholar and providing my citations and publications they feel I have a very strong case for the EB2 NIW as my profession is in demand and in the US interest.
the attorney has 100% success rate this year and will refund their fees if it fails!

The attorney is Victoria Chen which I think some people have used. Anyone have any experience with her?
I have a consultation with another attorney soon for a second opinion.

I presume the EB-2 NIW is the best route as it is an instant green card without employer sponsorship? or would LB-2 also be a good less expensive route as my employer did say they would sponsor green cards if we wanted to stay.

Does anyone know how long from when the green cards are authorised you have to enter the US?.

Thanks All
Old Aug 1st 2017, 12:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You won't be getting a green card overseas, you'll be getting some type of visa.

Rene
Old Aug 1st 2017, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

You won't be getting a green card overseas, you'll be getting some type of visa.

Rene
Ah yeah sorry wasn't clear. I know it would be the IVP as its referred too. I was interested to know how long the visa is valid for to enter the US from the UK. Wasn't sure if there is a time frame for entering the US as a permanent resident
Old Aug 1st 2017, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

or would LB-2 also be a good less expensive route as my employer did say they would sponsor green cards if we wanted to stay.
Get that in writing, then it would be the route I would select!
Old Aug 1st 2017, 3:31 pm

Ah yeah sorry wasn't clear. I know it would be the IVP as its referred too. I was interested to know how long the visa is valid for to enter the US from the UK. Wasn't sure if there is a time frame for entering the US as a permanent resident
If it's an immigrant visa, it's valid for 6 months from the date of the medical exam.

Rene
Old Aug 1st 2017, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

If it's an immigrant visa, it's valid for 6 months from the date of the medical exam.

Rene
Thank you Rene