British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Visa granted for son follow to join - what now? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/visa-granted-son-follow-join-what-now-779038/)

Lazzza Nov 28th 2012 11:53 am

Visa granted for son follow to join - what now?

Our 20 year old just called to say he received his passport this morning with his visa.

We went through the follow-to-join procedure for him to get to this stage. We arrived here in June 2010. We went L1A and Bs to GC. He stayed behind in Scotland because he was in uni and didn't really want to come over at that point in time.

He is still in uni in Glasgow, we live out here in Katy, Tx. He is due to travel to the US for Christmas to visit for 3 weeks but he will return to the UK in Jan for uni. He will then come out again to Houston in Feb 2013 and again for 3 months in summer 2013. He will have to return to the UK in Sep 2013 for his final year of studies. Once finished in May/June 2014, he will move to live with us.

So, what happens at his point of entry at Houston come December this year?

I know I have asked questions about follow to join before but not what happens post issue of the visa.

Thank you.

ian-mstm Nov 28th 2012 1:56 pm

Re: Visa granted for son follow to join - what now?

Originally Posted by Lazzza (Post 10405643)
So, what happens at his point of entry at Houston come December this year?

If he has an immigrant visa, he'll need his unopened envelope and his passport with the visa. At the POE he'll be processed and his visa will be endorsed. In that moment, he'll become a PR. Thereafter, he can travel to the UK for school as needed using the endorsed visa. Once his GC arrives in the mail (presumably he'll give your US address) you can send it to him... and thereafter he'll use the plastic card to enter the US.

Abandonment of his status (because of his studies in the UK and therefore extended time outside the US) will not be an issue, as it is an allowed event. Still, if there's any anxiety about the issue, he should apply for a re-entry permit before he leaves for his final year.

Ian

S Folinsky Dec 1st 2012 3:08 pm

I would suggest that an application for a reentry permit on an I-131 be filed immediately, I mean immediately, the day after he is admitted. The I-131 includes a "biometrics" appointment.

If he receives the appointment before departure but the appointment for after, it is possible to go into an "ASC" in advance of the appointment. Done all the time.

By the way, his immigrant visa will be endorsed as a temporary I-551. It has been known for people to come in the immigrant visa and turn right back around for temporary purposes -- in the forum-speak here it is known as "activation" [a term NOT used outside of internet forums].

JAJ Dec 3rd 2012 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Lazzza (Post 10405643)
He is still in uni in Glasgow, we live out here in Katy, Tx. He is due to travel to the US for Christmas to visit for 3 weeks but he will return to the UK in Jan for uni.

Once he uses his Immigrant Visa, his mindset has to be that he is living in the U.S. and his absences are only temporary. He cannot let any single absence exceed 12 months (and in fact, 6 months is preferable).

Also, he must start filing U.S. federal tax returns as a resident and make sure he files for Selective Service (http://www.sss.gov)

Jerseygirl Dec 3rd 2012 1:51 am

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 10411030)
I would suggest that an application for a reentry permit on an I-131 be filed immediately, I mean immediately, the day after he is admitted. The I-131 includes a "biometrics" appointment.

If he receives the appointment before departure but the appointment for after, it is possible to go into an "ASC" in advance of the appointment. Done all the time.

By the way, his immigrant visa will be endorsed as a temporary I-551. It has been known for people to come in the immigrant visa and turn right back around for temporary purposes -- in the forum-speak here it is known as "activation" [a term NOT used outside of internet forums].

I agree he should obtain a re-entry permit. My daughter went to uni in Canada...she came back to the US every month...spent 3 months in the summer in the US and Christmas etc. She had US bank and credit card accounts...her car was licensed and registered in NJ. After a couple of years she was told by an IO to get a re-entry permit if she wanted to enter the US again.

Lazzza Dec 30th 2012 3:36 pm

Thanks everyone. I actually asked this very question of our immigration attorney and he hasn't replied yet. We are arranging for him to open his bank account, get his license over here and so on. The re-entry permit is a little problem because we have not had enough time to process this, since he leaves to go back for exams in early January. I wish I had more time to have this done before he leaves. He always comes over in his holiday periods and he will be here for 3 months next summer (provided his green card arrives). After that, he has only his final year so uni and he will be back 'home' here with his family.

Noorah101 Dec 30th 2012 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Lazzza (Post 10455748)
He always comes over in his holiday periods and he will be here for 3 months next summer (provided his green card arrives).

If your son arrived in the USA on an Immigrant Visa, then he received an endorsement at the POE which should say "Serves as temporary I-551 for up to 1 year" (something like that). That IS his green card, valid for 1 year from his entry date. He can use that endorsement to travel to the USA even if he doesn't get the plastic green card in hand yet.

Rene