British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   which visa do I need to apply for to enable me to contract in the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/visa-do-i-need-apply-enable-me-contract-us-551182/)

moo66 Jul 25th 2008 12:48 pm

which visa do I need to apply for to enable me to contract in the US

Hi I am due to move to the US with my husband in the Autumn but I am trying to find out which visa's I could apply for that would enable me to work as a contractor. Currently I work in the Uk as a contactor and most roles are 3-6 months. I'd like to carry on in a similar manor when I get to the US. Can anybody offer me any advise

MsElui Jul 25th 2008 1:04 pm

Re: which visa do I need to apply for to enable me to contract in the US

on what basis is your husband moving - ie is he a us citizen or has he a visa. that will tell us what you may be eligible for.

Folinskyinla Jul 25th 2008 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by moo66 (Post 6609628)
Can anybody offer me any advise

Hi:

It is a good thing that you desire to have that knowledge. There are many competent immigration lawyers who can such advice. I'd advise avoiding "consultants" or "brokers."

Good luck.

Folinskyinla Jul 25th 2008 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 6609693)
on what basis is your husband moving - ie is he a us citizen or has he a visa. that will tell us what you may be eligible for.

Hi:

A teaching moment!

It always pays to follow my three rules of successful immigration interviewing --

1. Tell the truth [also do not guess -- "I do not know" or "I do not remember" are OK if true]

2. Understand the question; and

3. MOST important -- answer ONLY the question actually asked, NOTHING more.

md95065 Jul 25th 2008 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla (Post 6609795)
Hi:

A teaching moment!

It always pays to follow my three rules of successful immigration interviewing --

1. Tell the truth [also do not guess -- "I do not know" or "I do not remember" are OK if true]

2. Understand the question; and

3. MOST important -- answer ONLY the question actually asked, NOTHING more.

In other words, very much like how you should respond when being deposed, only not under oath :)

Folinskyinla Jul 25th 2008 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 6610387)
In other words, very much like how you should respond when being deposed, only not under oath :)

Hi:

Under oath or not -- it is good practice on how to answer questions. All OP asked was whether or not someone could advise her.

Actually, my better half gave me a tip a long time ago which I find very useful -- "What do you want from me?"

MsElui Jul 25th 2008 5:53 pm

I have no idea what Mr F is on today [shrugs]

If your husband already has a visa planned/arranged then you may be able to get the matching dependant visa. Depending on what that visa is will mean whether or not you will be able to work, or maybe if you might need to try and fins a visa in your own right.
If he is a US citizen then you may be eligible for an entirly different visa etc.

md95065 Jul 25th 2008 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla (Post 6610489)
Under oath or not -- it is good practice on how to answer questions. All OP asked was whether or not someone could advise her.

To which, of course, the answer is a plain unadorned "Yes" ...

Ray Jul 25th 2008 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 6610700)
I have no idea what Mr F is on today [shrugs]

after 5 years here .. I understand him vaguely ...sometimes

the OPs question was:

Therefore the answer must be yes or no ..with what you
have been given ... ...lol

Octang Frye Jul 25th 2008 7:20 pm

It's the 'strings'. I think he's having problems with his strings.

\ I told him to switch to threads.

md95065 Jul 26th 2008 2:10 am

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 6610901)
the OPs question was:

Therefore the answer must be yes or no ..with what you
have been given ... ...lol

Actually on a forum like this it is always going to be "yes", because it is 100% certain that someone will offer advice - it may be bad, ill-informed, or just plain old wrong advice - but it will be advice ... :ohmy:

AdobePinon Jul 26th 2008 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 6610969)
It's the 'strings'. I think he's having problems with his strings.

\ I told him to switch to threads.

:rofl:

dbj1000 Jul 28th 2008 6:02 am

"Threads" was a terrible post-nuclear-holocaust drama on ITV in the 80's which traumatized my childhood.

I suggest you all follow Mr. Foly's lead, and start calling them "strings".

dbj1000 Jul 28th 2008 6:05 am

Originally Posted by moo66 (Post 6609628)
Hi I am due to move to the US with my husband in the Autumn but I am trying to find out which visa's I could apply for that would enable me to work as a contractor. Currently I work in the Uk as a contactor and most roles are 3-6 months. I'd like to carry on in a similar manor when I get to the US. Can anybody offer me any advise

If you'd like to post pictures of your "manor" (assuming it's a real manor, and not just a big house or a large country pile) perhaps someone here can suggest a realtor who can find you a McMansion of similar style and proportions in which you can "carry on".

moo66 Aug 8th 2008 12:08 pm

Sorry this has de-generated into a grammar discussion

All I was after was a bit of information that I could go to the guys helping my husband out with his visa. I still want to work as a contactor when I come out the NY. My impression is that if you get a visa it is to a specific company so how could it work if most contacts that I do are 3-6 months long.