Visa for confirmed internship

Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:01 am
Just Joined

Grumio91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa for confirmed internship

Hi,

I have an internship confirmed at a theatre company in New York, and was hoping someone would be able to help me out a little in the visa process.

I have looked at the US embassy website, rang them and emailed them and to say I am a little confused is a bit of an understatement.

Basically, it would be great to find out exactly what visa I would need. I thought it might be a J-1, but the bit about the exchange visitor programme confused me. I also tried to fill out a DS-160 form for that and it wanted a SEVIS number and program number, which I don't have.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa for confirmed internship

The theatre company in New York needs to be involved, this isn't something you are able to do on your own. They should know what visa is appropriate for what they are offering. However, it might be a case of them not having a clue, offering you the position but there not being any way you can actually take the position because there is no visa available for it. Side note. The US embassy isn't there to help you and the people who work there aren't required to know the law so they are a pretty poor place to look for advice.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Ah cool - OK, so I should be talking to them about visa, right.. It seems like they have no clue, so its not looking good.

Also, I only looked there because a friend who is currently in the US doing an internship told me that was the place to go. You live and learn.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

How long is the internship, and is it paid?
Old Sep 4th 2013, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Its from now (I didn't get much notice..) until Dec 15th, so if I put it off until their next round, which I'm thinking of doing, it will be three months long. And its not paid.

Thanks
Old Sep 4th 2013, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Bootle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
The theatre company in New York needs to be involved, this isn't something you are able to do on your own. They should know what visa is appropriate for what they are offering. However, it might be a case of them not having a clue, offering you the position but there not being any way you can actually take the position because there is no visa available for it. Side note. The US embassy isn't there to help you and the people who work there aren't required to know the law so they are a pretty poor place to look for advice.
Actually the theatre company doesn't get involved in the application. It is likely that they just didn't inquire about visa status. A lot of internships will take on J-1's and then it is up to the intern to get it approved through their J-1 sponsor.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grumio91
Hi,

Its from now (I didn't get much notice..) until Dec 15th, so if I put it off until their next round, which I'm thinking of doing, it will be three months long. And its not paid.

Thanks
If it is not paid, and other interns in the program are never paid, then this could possibly be done under visitor (B) status. The closest match I can find is 9 FAM N 13.7. The key thing would be to avoid the use of the word "internship" which may be confusing. You may not even need a visa for this (if you qualify for the VWP and spend less than 90 days in the US).

Last edited by jxv73; Sep 4th 2013 at 4:35 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

What's a 9 FAM N 13.7? Sorry - I've never done this before!

Also, I looked into just going on a tourist visa waiver, but if you are training you have to have an appropriate visa for it. I have filled out the DS-160 form, am I heading in the right direction? Also I got stuck at the SEVIS bit..
Old Sep 4th 2013, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

Here. http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87206.pdf Google works wonders. Look at page 24.

The DS-160 is appropriate if you want to apply for a visa. I wonder if you even have to. The SEVIS number would be provided by a J-1 sponsor working with you - but this is for internships. I suggest what you plan on doing could fall within the Department of State's definiton of "amateur performance".
Old Sep 4th 2013, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Ah OK - I won't be a performer, but working in production and marketing. Is the DS - 190 different in some way? But otherwise the B-1 does seem to cover it still, I certainly don't intend to stay in the US.. Sorry for all the questions, but I finally feel like I am getting somewhere..
Old Sep 4th 2013, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you are British, applying for a B-1 visa instead of using the VWP may be a very risky move.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 1:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jxv73
If you are British, applying for a B-1 visa instead of using the VWP may be a very risky move.
+1 Agreed. You are unlikely to have a B-1 visa approved, but in any case anything you can do on a B-1 visa you can do under the VWP, but your maximum stay is 90 days. Staying longer, even a day, has profound consequences!
Old Sep 5th 2013, 2:23 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, especially if the period of the stay will be only 3 months - 90 days to be more precise - as the OP indicated. However, if the project will be longer than 90 days, and that can be documented, then I think that apllying for a B-1 is both necessary and not so risky as the usual tourist applying for a B-2. The necessary period of stay clearly indicates that use of the VWP is inappropriate and a B-1 visa is required.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by jxv73
Old Sep 5th 2013, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

By the time I get over there it will be under 90 days.. Does that change things?

Thank you for all the clarification, by the way..
Old Sep 5th 2013, 5:00 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

From the description provided, this internship is not something that can be done on the VWP or as B regardless of if it is paid or not. Its not a charity benefiting the community and it is more than just observing. J-1 would be more like it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.