British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   From Visa being filed with USCIS to leaving UK... how long!!!? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/visa-being-filed-uscis-leaving-uk-how-long-833895/)

Lilly77 May 14th 2014 6:54 pm

From Visa being filed with USCIS to leaving UK... how long!!!?

Just a quick question as I don't know if we're being completely idiotic by thinking we can leave the UK within this time frame..

Basically my husband and business partner have both filed for 0-1 visa's through lawyers and they have just been filed with USCIS. They both paid PP so we *should* have answer in 15 calendar days.

It's now mid May, we want to be boarding flights by 19th June latest.

Taking into account London US embassy interview waiting times are currently 8 days for an appointment, and 3 days to process... we're hoping we can still do this in 4 1/2 weeks. We're thinking we might book the Embassy appointment NOW for 2 weeks time, then hoping to get the passports back within a week.

DO-ABLE?!?!? or totally :eek::eek::eek:

Can anyone tell me the time frame you waited from visa being with immigration to actually leaving the UK?
We've provisionally booked shipping company (can cancel/postpone with 10 days) AND our flat's already online to rent!!!!

ARGH going insane!

scrubbedexpat099 May 14th 2014 7:39 pm

Re: From Visa being filed with USCIS to leaving UK... how long!!!?

Just wondering what your Lawyer says, sounds like a lot of things have to happen without issue.

airbusfan May 14th 2014 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Lilly77 (Post 11260458)

DO-ABLE?!?!? or totally :eek::eek::eek:

Do-able if everything goes well. What if there's an RFE ? What if embassy puts your application for additional processing? What if the passports aren't back in time? What if the courier misdelivers the passports ?

As they say around here, don't book anything until you have passports back in hand!

Orangepants May 14th 2014 7:55 pm

I don't think you can book the interview without the approval notice. My OH had to have the original 1-797 to take to the consulate for his original petition so you might have to get this by FedEx from the US.

I think you'd be crazy to put yourself under that tight time schedule and don't book the flights. Rent out the flat once you have approval and deal with the short term accom then.

My OH's O-1 came through in 36 hours but there are so many variables.

Good luck.

Lilly77 May 14th 2014 8:40 pm

eeeek I know I know... only if everything goes smoothly from now on do we have even a fighting chance. The lawyers think it's possible, we have very good ones with high recommendations within the 0-1 visa field.
So I think we may hear quite soon, maybe even within the 15 days.

With regard to booking the embassy interview, i thought you only needed your application number? A friend of ours did before they even got a yes from immigration, they kept having to move the appointment though.

And as we live in London, we'll go pick up the passports instead of them being delivered, and probably book flights on the phone as soon as we have them in hand.

Is it usual for the embassy to request additional processing?!

jtlc2345 May 14th 2014 10:20 pm

So I applied for a H1B this time last year. Looking back my application was filed (premium processing) on a Friday and approval came back the next Tuesday (7 May) - had my embassy appointment 31 May and my passport back the week after.

Unless things have changed, you can only get your passport back via courier.

Jonathan

Orangepants May 14th 2014 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Lilly77 (Post 11260611)
eeeek I know I know... only if everything goes smoothly from now on do we have even a fighting chance. The lawyers think it's possible, we have very good ones with high recommendations within the 0-1 visa field.
So I think we may hear quite soon, maybe even within the 15 days.

With regard to booking the embassy interview, i thought you only needed your application number? A friend of ours did before they even got a yes from immigration, they kept having to move the appointment though.

And as we live in London, we'll go pick up the passports instead of them being delivered, and probably book flights on the phone as soon as we have them in hand.

Is it usual for the embassy to request additional processing?!

You're probably right with regard to the interview, I guess most people wait to see if they have been approved so they don't loose the $160 or whatever it is now.
If you don't hear within 15 days - they should refund the PP charge.
Hadn't heard you could pick up in London, otherwise I would have done that last year when I got my renewal.
AP - if you have a name that may be on a SDN list or have travelled to some places they believe to be "suspect" or they find some criminal activities or links in your past.

Lilly77 May 15th 2014 7:03 am

http://travel.state.gov/content/visa...ndon&x=49&y=20

This gives wait times at the embassy and also specifies processing times for passport 'delivery or pick up'.
No criminal past, suspect names (I think!).... We *should* be ok!!! We were going to book flights once we had approval from immigration, before embassy appointment, but we're now thinking of waiting til we have passports back in hand.

Lilly77 May 15th 2014 7:11 am

Orangepants- you said your oh got 0-1 visa back in 36 hours, wow! Can I ask what field he's in? Did you process yours in London?

christmasoompa May 15th 2014 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Lilly77 (Post 11261195)
No criminal past, suspect names (I think!)....

You may not think you have a 'suspect name', but even a common name may be suspect if a terrorist happens to share it! So personally I wouldn't book anything until you have the visa in hand in case you get put in AP.

Good luck.

lizzyq May 15th 2014 9:54 am

My husband's O1-A was approved 6 days after receipt by USCIS on PP. OUr interviews are booked for the end of this month - could have been sooner, but had to fit around existing travel plans and GCSE exams.

For the passport return - delivery is to nominated address, pick-up means from a DX depot, we are picking up from the Manchester depot rather than paying another $120 for the 4 passports.

Nothing to be booked until the visas are in our hands.

ian-mstm May 15th 2014 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Lilly77 (Post 11261195)
... but we're now thinking of waiting til we have passports back in hand.

This really is the best strategy! :)

Ian

Lilly77 May 15th 2014 5:08 pm

Question- does the 15 day time frame only
Start once USCIS receive with receipt and send application number? Our lawyers have told us they sent our application off but will only receive receipt in about a week!

Springy6 May 15th 2014 7:40 pm

We've just been( this month) through PP for my hubby's EB1a petition. Our attorney was emailed a receipt 2 days after UPS said it had been delivered and we got a paper copy 5 days after the email. The approval came through 7 days after the receipt date.

Even though we had PP and a response within 15 days, we now join the rest of the queue for the next steps in visa processing including appointments at the embassy in London.