Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Visa becoming Invalid due to company change...possibility of redundancy?

Visa becoming Invalid due to company change...possibility of redundancy?

Old Jul 26th 2018, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Aquapanther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa becoming Invalid due to company change...possibility of redundancy?

OK thanks guys.
I've got another meeting with my lawyer next week so I'll get clarification on everything before making any decisions.
Old Jul 27th 2018, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa becoming Invalid due to company change...possibility of redundancy?

Originally Posted by Aquapanther
My choices are to go back to the UK for at least 16 months to 3 years while further paperwork gets filed to bring me back, or alternatively taking 6 months out on a B visa to explore the US and consider my options.
Is there a reason you didn't include the third option: leave the country (including just to Canada/Mexico) and request re-entry on the VWP? You would only get 90 days vs 6 months, but it would be a straight admit/deny decision at the border.

I don't know how likely you would be to succeed, 'in the current climate' and all, but it seems like even a VWP denial would be less hassle than a failed COS these days.
Old Jul 27th 2018, 2:18 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

What happened to the GF?! on the other post you mentioned potential marriage, i guess that's no longer an option?
Old Jul 27th 2018, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by retzie
Is there a reason you didn't include the third option: leave the country (including just to Canada/Mexico) and request re-entry on the VWP? You would only get 90 days vs 6 months, but it would be a straight admit/deny decision at the border.

I don't know how likely you would be to succeed, 'in the current climate' and all, but it seems like even a VWP denial would be less hassle than a failed COS these days.
Honestly, I thought that would have been the most dangerous option as it meant having to convince a border guard...however maybe not. I’ll see what the lawyer has to say next week.
Old Jul 27th 2018, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jack8602
What happened to the GF?! on the other post you mentioned potential marriage, i guess that's no longer an option?
That is still an option. We want to get married we just don’t want to feel pressured by this situation.
We are having the right conversations it’s just a matter of working out the best way forward with the best timing.

My employment with the company is going to end before the company is sold.
That gives us 60 days to consider the best way forward.
Old Jul 27th 2018, 4:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you guys feel ready for marriage (and I assume she's a USC), that is by far the best way forward to protect your status in the USA. Don't view it as being under pressure; view it as the way to remain together on the same continent.

Rene
Old Jul 29th 2018, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
COBRA is not at the discounted premium you probably pay now. COBRA is where you pay 100% of the cost of the premium. Travel insurance might work out, I'm not sure.

To elaborate on this ... COBRA is, as Noorah says, where you pay 100% of the cost of the premium. A popular misconception is that 'COBRA is expensive'. COBRA is neither expensive nor cheap; it's whatever the company pays (of course, it's more expensive than what you were paying before due to the company subsidizing your premium, but that's a different aspect). Some companies, with a sizable workforce that is relatively young, may have good rates, while a smaller company, and/or with an older workforce, may have very expensive rates. Every company has a unique negotiated rate structure for its employees and the variability can be quite amazing. I did some consulting for a 'benefits provider' a few years ago and learned quite a bit about how corporate medical insurance rates were established.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

If you guys feel ready for marriage (and I assume she's a USC), that is by far the best way forward to protect your status in the USA. Don't view it as being under pressure; view it as the way to remain together on the same continent.

Rene
Well...things have taking massive leaps forward over the weekend!
We are ready, committed and...quite nervous!

Either way, we understand that this is the best way forward for us and the alternative reality of being separated for up to three years is not an option we are prepared to take.
Got the meeting with the lawyer tomorrow to discuss how exactly we go about this.

One question for you (at the moment...I'm sure there will be a lot more soon).
Is it worth paying the lawyer to process the L1 to EB-2 adjustment of status paperwork for us, or is it a fairly straightforward process with not much risk?
Keep in mind that we likely have about 60 days to get the paperwork filed to avoice me going out of status. Also that I will not be working during that time so will have a lot of time on my hands to get things done myself.

Thanks again for all your advice and support guys.

Last edited by Aquapanther; Jul 30th 2018 at 7:50 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 8:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that the L-1 to EB-2 is something the company (and their lawyers) MUST do.... you can't do it on your own.

If you are going to get married and do the AOS via marriage to a USC. then you can do that on your own, without a lawyer, if you wish.

Rene
Old Jul 30th 2018, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

My understanding is that the L-1 to EB-2 is something the company (and their lawyers) MUST do.... you can't do it on your own.

If you are going to get married and do the AOS via marriage to a USC. then you can do that on your own, without a lawyer, if you wish.

Rene
Sorry, to be clear, I meant I'd be filing an AOS via marriage to a USC (I thought this came under the EB-2 category)..
It is this I'm inquiring about whether it is worth the money and expertise to use a lawyer to prepare and file the paperwork.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, to be clear, I meant I'd be filing an AOS via marriage to a USC (I thought this came under the EB-2 category)..
It is this I'm inquiring about whether it is worth the money and expertise to use a lawyer to prepare and file the paperwork.
EB-2 is employment based
Your marriage permanent residency would fall under the CR-1 category
Old Jul 30th 2018, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jxv73
EB-2 is employment based
Your marriage permanent residency would fall under the CR-1 category
Got you.
Thanks for the correction.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 11:29 pm

Ah, in that case, you can certainly do it on your own, without a lawyer, as many of us here have done. Others have used a lawyer, but it's not required, just a personal choice.

When you start having questions about the AOS process, please post over in our Marriage Based Visa forum.

Thank you,
Rene