Wikiposts

Visa Application timings

Old Apr 6th 2011, 3:50 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Application timings

Originally Posted by NeuF
If you're already planning to come to the US this April on the VWP, you could just go to the courthouse and get legally married. Then you can start the CR1 visa process by filing the I-130 petition. You can still plan a wedding ceremony for August, it's just that you'd already technically be married when that takes place. This just prevents you having to wait until August or September to start applying.

This is what my husband and I are doing. He came to the US in March on the VWP and we had a courthouse wedding. We have a church wedding planned for August in England when I go there to visit. It's a bit of a pain and not exactly what we wanted, but at least the visa process got started.
+1, good suggestion.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Phyrefly is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the suggestion, discussing it with my fiance now.

The event in August has strong emotional ties, so we may just suck up the delay so we can have the wedding where we want it, but it's still worth knowing that's a possibility.

I have a sneaking feeling (knowing a little about the US structure) that it might matter _which_ state we get married in... we're visiting NY, but she's from (and we'd probably live in) WA. Does this complicate matters (beyond the obvious needing to get the license from the right place).
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:50 am
Just Joined

NeuF is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Phyrefly

I have a sneaking feeling (knowing a little about the US structure) that it might matter _which_ state we get married in... we're visiting NY, but she's from (and we'd probably live in) WA. Does this complicate matters (beyond the obvious needing to get the license from the right place).
It shouldn't matter at all which state you get married in. You just have to get the marriage license in the state in which the ceremony takes place. It's not a problem if neither the bride nor the groom is a resident of that state, but the marriage license may cost a bit more if they're not. Also, you should check about courthouse weddings. In my county you have to have an appointment about 2 or 3 months in advance. It's just another thing to research if you decide to go that route.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 1:25 am
Just Joined

Phyrefly is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Neuf, and everyone else who's wheighed in. We have a course set again now. It's not the one we'd hoped for, but it's better than being lost at sea

Rich
Old Apr 7th 2011, 6:32 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phyrefly
I have a sneaking feeling (knowing a little about the US structure) that it might matter _which_ state we get married in...
It will make no difference whatsoever. Quite frankly, the US doesn't care where you get married.

Ian