Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Visa advice needed for a stay in the US!!

Wikiposts

Visa advice needed for a stay in the US!!

Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:23 am
Just Joined

jonathanm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa advice needed for a stay in the US!!

Hi,

I'm a UK citizen and I currently live in Berlin with my German girlfriend who I met in the UK.

She has a post-doc position at a university in the US which should take her around 2 years to complete. The Uni is sponsoring her J1 visa.

Since I came to Germany I've been doing odd jobs and short contract IT work, plus a little bit of freelance journalism for a German magazine. I'm now looking at setting up some UK based websites to generate some income, but it will take several months before this bears any fruit.

So....my question is, how can I join her in the US?

I don't need a work permit. I have no intention of working for any US company, earning any money in the US etc, and have no intention of settling there.

In fact I don't really want to go to the US, but this is a great opportunity for her, and I'm sure we'll have fun. And we've agreed I get to choose where we go next

After researching for days, this it looks really tough - any ideas anybody?!?

I don't mind coming back to the UK for a week or two every 3 or 6 months.

I get the impression that I cannot repeatedly use the visa waiver. And I do not appear to have the correct credentials for a B1 either

Hope someone can help!!!

J
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:26 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa advice needed for a stay in the US!!

Perhaps if you get married, there is a dependent visa along with her J-1?

Rene
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:30 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Investigate a B2 for a domestic partner. Should be possible.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Hi Rene,

Thanks for your input.

I was aware that getting married was an option, but we've only been together for 10 months. I'd like our relationship to develop a little more....naturally!

J
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:36 am
Just Joined

@fatbrit - Thanks, I will investigate this.

Any other suggestions?

J
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:37 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonathanm
@fatbrit - Thanks, I will investigate this.

Any other suggestions?

J
Nope -- that's the visa you want for the circumstances described. But research it fully BEFORE you start putting visa applications in.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:40 am
Septicity

Here you go:

http://www.murthy.com/news/ukb2domp.html
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Hey that's great, thank you so much. I've been digging for days (over weeks!) and not come up with anything. I'll check this out.

Thanks again!

Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Reading through that link, I notice that it is prior to 9/11. Is it definitely still the same?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has direct experience of doing this? (maybe I should make a seperate post for this after I've researched it properly)

Cheers

J
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:54 am
Septicity

Reading through that link, I notice that it is prior to 9/11. Is it definitely still the same?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has direct experience of doing this? (maybe I should make a seperate post for this after I've researched it properly)

Cheers

J
Search back on this forum -- I remember a few coming up. Possibly with L1 or H1 partners, though.

Also search for general conditions for getting a B1 visa like no criminal record, maintaining residence, etc. The only thing above that you need to prove beyond the standard conditions is your relationship.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 11:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Search back on this forum -- I remember a few coming up. Possibly with L1 or H1 partners, though.

Also search for general conditions for getting a B1 visa like no criminal record, maintaining residence, etc. The only thing above that you need to prove beyond the standard conditions is your relationship.
Hmm criminal record no problem, although I've just discovered I've had a CCJ for an unpaid bill since I left the UK - I guess that's no problem? It's settled now.

maintaining residence might be an issue. I've been in Berlin since September, in a rented apartment in my girlfriend's name. Before that, I was renting a room in my mother's buy-to-let house. It's all rented to other people now, though they're all friends of mine so no-one would mind me saying I still lived there. (And indeed I will probably go back there when I return to the UK) Would a tenancy agreement be sufficient proof of maintaining residence?

Thanks again - shame you can't email a pint (yet)

J
Old Jan 9th 2008, 11:11 am
Septicity

Hmm criminal record no problem, although I've just discovered I've had a CCJ for an unpaid bill since I left the UK - I guess that's no problem? It's settled now.

maintaining residence might be an issue. I've been in Berlin since September, in a rented apartment in my girlfriend's name. Before that, I was renting a room in my mother's buy-to-let house. It's all rented to other people now, though they're all friends of mine so no-one would mind me saying I still lived there. (And indeed I will probably go back there when I return to the UK) Would a tenancy agreement be sufficient proof of maintaining residence?

Thanks again - shame you can't email a pint (yet)

J
Looks like maintaining a believable residence is going to be your biggest hurdle.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Looks like maintaining a believable residence is going to be your biggest hurdle.
Ok, for anyone else reading this thread - my initial investigations suggest that fatbrit is bang on with his advice. I've found several more recent (post 9/11) links which say exactly the same:

http://iss.washington.edu/admin/Bvisitors.pdf
http://www.stanford.edu/dept/icenter/dept/dom_part.htm
http://srwlawyers.com/ImmigrationOpt...5/Default.aspx
http://www.mnllp.com/EEnivfamily.html

Here is the link to the original State Department communication from 2001:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/te...rams_1414.html

Again, exactly as fatbrit advised, the main issue is the Immigration and Nationality Act Section 214(b) -- INA 214(b)

To quote from http://immigration.about.com/library/blvisadenial.htm ......

Section 214(b) is part of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). It states:

Every alien shall be presumed to be an immigrant until he establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer, at the time of application for admission, that he is entitled to a nonimmigrant status...

To qualify for a visitor or student visa, an applicant must meet the requirements of sections 101(a)(15)(B) or (F) of the INA respectively. Failure to do so will result in a refusal of a visa under INA 214(b). The most frequent basis for such a refusal concerns the requirement that the prospective visitor or student possess a residence abroad he/she has no intention of abandoning. Applicants prove the existence of such residence by demonstrating that they have ties abroad that would compel them to leave the U.S. at the end of the temporary stay. The law places this burden of proof on the applicant.

So, fatbrit - I salute you. I don't think I would have found this without your help.

Cheers!!!!

J
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

So, fatbrit - I salute you. I don't think I would have found this without your help.
Hi:

The only reason Fatbrit recommended it is that he saw your post before I did! Do note that he simply pointed you in the right direction.

Please note that you now know WHAT to seek. No problem with that. However, be aware that, although a category exists for your situation -- it does NOT mean you are anywhere guaranteed a visa.

In your initial post, I do see some subtleties that you would be very well advised to explore. Off the top of my head two are that your relationship is of relatively short duration [negative] and that she will be here on a J-1 visa [possible positive].

BTW, I visited Berlin for the first time last year and look forward to going back. I've added to my list of cities well worth multiple visits like New York, London and Paris.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:31 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
The only reason Fatbrit recommended it is that he saw your post before I did!
The reason Fatbrit recommended it was because he knew the answer.

I didn't realize it was a race.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.