British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   visa advice needed for cohabitating B2 + J1 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/visa-advice-needed-cohabitating-b2-j1-610562/)

jonathanm May 23rd 2009 4:35 am

Re: visa advice needed for cohabitating B2 + J1

Hi,

I am the BF of the OP, I thought I'd chip in and clarify a few things, and ask a few more questions if I may....

Many thanks to you all for taking the time to comment. We really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by crg14624 (Post 7593639)
1. I thought that .....snip

crg14624, thank you for the informative post. It's clear you have an understanding of this situation, most people do not, including it appears, many immigration officers.

Originally Posted by crg14624 (Post 7593732)
The problem is that the state department often doesn't write "partner of" on the visa, the border officers don't give them a year, and the participants don't do the extensions or do them improperly. Some people decide to travel briefly instead of submitting the extension requests.

It's a royal mess.

What you describe here is like a checklist for our situation. But do you know of anyone who leaves briefly every six months? Every time I try to re-enter, I may have no problem whatsoever, or I may be denied entry and barred. I expect everyone in my situation would have all the same issues.

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla (Post 7595635)
So, when criticizing "they," it is CBP inspectors that count.

Originally Posted by crg14624 (Post 7595649)
That's exactly what I was thinking. According to the State Department, the visa is toast per 222(g) when the extension is denied and the I-94 has expired. USCIS doesn't agree, and CBP deals with it differently based on who is working the border at the time.

Since it's the DOS's visa, they're probably right.

your comments about section 222g also being open to interpretation makes me think that the officer was focusing on this issue solely.

I called both the USCIS and the State Dept when I received my decision letter to ask them about this. Both told me that if I left before the 30 day period was up, my visa would not be invalidated. I believe the correct state of affairs is much as you say. It depends who you ask, deal with, and sometimes what side side of the bed they got out of that morning.

As Folinskyinla said, at the end of the day it doesn't matter if the State Dept is right, it is the CBP officer at the POE who counts, and unfortunately they appear to be the the most random in their knowledge and application of this rule. And sadly also the ones you can't afford to argue with.

Originally Posted by Eric S (Post 7595680)
But I'm curious. If DOS issues a B-2 cohabiting visa, does it look any different from a "regular" B-2 visa? And is CBP supposed to treat B-2 cohabitating visa holders any different from regular B-2 visa holders? Or do they just let them in for the standard 6 months and then it's up to the visa holder to continually file for extensions while they're here? If so, that kind of traps them here, doesn't it? Because if they leave and try to return on the B-2 visa, the POE officer is going to give them a hard time for "living" in the US on "visitor" visa.

Thanks.
- Eric S.

The visa is supposed to be 'annotated' with a comment saying the holder is cohabitating with a J1 (or whatever...) visa holder. I'm not sure if it's supposed to name the primary visa holder, mine was not annotated. Other than that is it just a regular 10 year combined B1/B2 visa.

And yes, the cohabitating visa holder is supposed to be treated differently, as you say, allowed to continually apply for another 6 months ($300 a pop). Also, they should be given 12 months when they enter. (this also didn't happen to me).

And you've noticed something most people don't - it does trap you. The people who deal with the extension applications may or may not be conversant with this rule, but the people at POE's are not. so even if the continuous extension approach were to work, you take a huge risk to leave the US.

I personally believe that the rule is poorly understood by many people all over the system, and any time you come into contact with an officer, it's pot luck whether you get someone who knows it properly or not.

Originally Posted by crg14624 (Post 7596060)
The caveat is the " If otherwise admissible" part. The applicant may not have a foreign residence as required.

This is the other thing which confused me with the cbp officer. He didn't want to see my evidence of a foreign residence, etc. Is this because I have previously shown sufficient evidence? Or did he mess that bit up, because I must in fact show evidence every time? I suspect the latter, or he'd spent so long roasting me for 'bending the rules' he didn't want to take any more time?

Ok, thanks again......

I'm gonna put my questions in a separate post :)

J

jonathanm May 23rd 2009 4:36 am

So, here's how I see our options, with my thoughts and questions. I'd really appreciate your opinions....

1 - leave in 6 months before the current I94 expires, and come back again to apply for a new I94 at the POE. Total roll of the dice. worse odds AND higher stakes every time. Does anyone disagree with that?

2 - apply for an extension for the current I94, taking care to submit plenty of evidence that I satisfy all the criteria, residence abroad, etc. Also this time submitting early enough that if denied it happens before the current I94 expires. If denied, it will be almost impossible to get back back in. If denied and the current I94 has already expired, chances of getting back in - 0%. Likelihood of extension office understanding the rule greater than POE officers, but not guaranteed.

3 - Get married in the US, apply for a status change to J2 without leaving the US, provided the whole process is complete before my I94 expires. Does anyone know how long the process might take? Or can I stay beyond my current I94 as long as a staus change application is pending?

4 Go back to Europe, get married, apply for staus change at European Embassy/Consulate, normal waiting times there... then come back with new status. Does anyone know the waiting times for this? even roughly?

Would you agree? Anything else to add? Other options? Things I haven't considered?
Thanks again,

J

crg May 23rd 2009 5:11 pm

"do you know of anyone who leaves briefly every six months? Every time I try to re-enter, I may have no problem whatsoever, or I may be denied entry and barred."

Some do it that way. You'd have to travel prepared and hope for the best. Have the regulations printed out that allow this activity and be able to prove that you fit the criteria. Have copies of the worker's paperwork, and I-94, be able to show access to sufficient funds and the source of the funds to establish you don't have to work, show a foreign residence that you have not abandoned.

Also, where is the person traveling to every six months? Are they dropping over to Mexico or Canada for 10 minutes or are they going to the UK for a month? It's hard to sell that you're well off enough to hang out in the US for such a long period of time if you're so broke that you can't even pay for the I-539 or afford a plane ticket.

Having a copy of the partner's L1A as a CEO of a major company and evidence they make a bazillion dollars would be ideal. Being a partner of someone making $26,000 a year, no money in the bank and living in Manhattan with 2 kids may not yield the same results.