British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Vermont I-751 Status (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/vermont-i-751-status-446173/)

AlanR Apr 30th 2007 4:20 pm

Vermont I-751 Status

I know that the dates are unreliable on the Vermont case updating and that I'm still legal, but is anyone as disappointed as I am that the Vermont timescales on I-751's changed not one day - last 15th March they posted 1st September 2006 processing; this month (20th) they're posting 1st September 2006! My application is dated 4th October...
Can anyone shed any light on why any group of forms is stalled? I guess there's no real problem as my extension letter allows me to do all the things my permanent resident did allow. However, the thought of a 10-year green card and onto citizenship is overwhelmingly good!

Noorah101 Apr 30th 2007 4:26 pm

Re: Vermont I-751 Status

Originally Posted by AlanR (Post 4718735)
However, the thought of a 10-year green card and onto citizenship is overwhelmingly good!

The good news is that you can still file the N-400 whenever you are eligible to do so, whether your I-751 is adjudicated or not. :)

Best Wishes,
Rene

AlanR Apr 30th 2007 4:42 pm

Many thanks. I was aware that I could (and will!) file the N-400 90 days before the end of the 3-year period (i.e. one year after the I-751 application which is made up to 90 days before the expiry date on the 2-year 'temporary' green card). For others in the I-751 boat, then it must be disappointing to see that other forms must be being progressed at present in Vermont. When I filed at the end-last September, they seemed to be really on top of the situation - if I recall they were giving around 3 months (January 2007) at that time. I do know though that there area lot of other visa categories which are much slower than I-751, so I'm really grateful and also with the extension letter then this can go on for some time. I think that when one starts to see the end of the tunnel after several years that the hope (and anxiety!) builds again.

Rete Apr 30th 2007 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by AlanR (Post 4718805)
Many thanks. I was aware that I could (and will!) file the N-400 90 days before the end of the 3-year period (i.e. one year after the I-751 application which is made up to 90 days before the expiry date on the 2-year 'temporary' green card). For others in the I-751 boat, then it must be disappointing to see that other forms must be being progressed at present in Vermont. When I filed at the end-last September, they seemed to be really on top of the situation - if I recall they were giving around 3 months (January 2007) at that time. I do know though that there area lot of other visa categories which are much slower than I-751, so I'm really grateful and also with the extension letter then this can go on for some time. I think that when one starts to see the end of the tunnel after several years that the hope (and anxiety!) builds again.

I-751 petitions are the least important petitions and are more often, than not, pushed to the back of the desk. This is especially true if there is a major lag in approval times for more urgent petitions such as N-400's, I-130's, etc.

At one time in the not to distant past, VSC was taking 18 to 24 months to adjudicate an I-751. Consider yourself quite lucky that it appears to be under 12 months today.

gooner81 May 7th 2007 4:18 pm

I wish I was using another Service Centre, We sent our package over 30 days ago and they still have not even cashed the check or sent me a receipt number. They definitely received it as we sent it Certified USPS and it got delivered 3 days after we sent it.

I phoned the ever so helpful help line and they said it could take up to 45 days to acknowledge the package, the recorded info said 30 days though so I am quite frustrated right now.

AlanR May 10th 2007 1:35 pm

Stay calm... Obviously you're legal while the process goes on.
But now a very large pat on the back for Vermont!
This morning I had an e-mail notice indicating "Card Production Ordered". So my disappointment was incredibly short-lived and I owe them an apology for hastily posting my comments not so long ago!
Now my official I-751 receipt date was 4th October last year, so could it be that the date given for I-751 (1st September) processing at Vermont was conceivably incorrectly posted? It did seem strange to me that the date hadn't changed in a month. Maybe it's really 1st October! (Yes, I know that one shouldn't rely on these dates...).

gooner81 May 10th 2007 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by AlanR (Post 4761520)
Stay calm... Obviously you're legal while the process goes on.
But now a very large pat on the back for Vermont!
This morning I had an e-mail notice indicating "Card Production Ordered". So my disappointment was incredibly short-lived and I owe them an apology for hastily posting my comments not so long ago!
Now my official I-751 receipt date was 4th October last year, so could it be that the date given for I-751 (1st September) processing at Vermont was conceivably incorrectly posted? It did seem strange to me that the date hadn't changed in a month. Maybe it's really 1st October! (Yes, I know that one shouldn't rely on these dates...).

I realise I am legal, my worry is they still have not cashed the check after 33 days........ I know it will take around 6 months + to get the whole thing done I would just like a receipt notice/the check cashed so I know its in process.

AlanR May 10th 2007 2:29 pm

Agreed! It's the waiting/no information that isn't pleasant...

MMA2002 May 10th 2007 2:52 pm

Could you post your timeline from start to your e-mail message today? Biometrics, etc. I understand everyone's different but it's always nice knowing people that are "around" the same date as you are getting approved at VSC.

Originally Posted by AlanR (Post 4761761)
Agreed! It's the waiting/no information that isn't pleasant...

AlanR May 10th 2007 3:06 pm

Depends when 'start' is! Happy to give my history.
My K-1 process originally started with Vermont (I-129/I-130)in April 2003
Interview and K-1 visa approved in London in September 2003.
Married in October 2003 in US.
AOS application - December 2003.
AOS interview in Boston - June 2004? Approved subject to name-check.
Needed EAD again at Boston in December 2004 and wonderfully they stamped my passport with I-551 there.
2-year GC ordered - March 2005.
I-751 end-September 2006. Receipt date of 4th October with 1-year extension form around 10 - 14 days later.
Biometrics - November 2006
10th May 2007 - Notification of ordering of card (note: no "approval notice" yet, but this doesn't seem to be uncommon looking at other postings)

MMA2002 May 10th 2007 3:48 pm

Thanks so much! Hope you get the approval notice soon and your card hopefully is right around the corner!

AlanR May 11th 2007 4:39 pm

Thanks! I guess that you're probably around 2 month away from I-751 approval given a following wind at VSC. Good luck!

AlanR May 20th 2007 3:49 pm

Just to 'close' the thread....for those wondering how long VSC takes to send the physical GC out after positive notification.
E-mail notification of card sent for production was on 10th May with Approval Notice on the 15th (also by e-mail).
Actual GC received on 18th May with expiration date in 2017! Mailed with a Welcome to USA leaflet. I assume approval 'certificate' follows.
Onto N-400 in a few months.....