Wikiposts

Vaccination Question

Old May 30th 2002, 11:20 pm
Cool Brittania

Default Vaccination Question

Hey, there.

I am a UK citizen with designs to move to the US with my American husband of 4+
years. (He's already posted enough questions, it's *my* turn now!) We both live in
the UK at present.

Now, this vaccination, thingy....if I've already had some of the vaccinations listed,
do I need to provide some sort of proof that I've had them or is my word enough? If
proof is needed, how and where do I get it, please? From the medical records held by
my GP, perhaps? If so, will this service cost anything?

Secondly, if I need some vaccinations on the required list, can I get them done on
the NHS (thus saving some dosh - I am AMAZED at how much this whole process costs!)
and since I qualify for free prescriptions, can I get these free too?

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Cheers, -- hazel

Old May 31st 2002, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vaccination Question

The most you will need is the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) and TD (tetanus, diptheria).

You won't need the MMR if you can prove that you have either had it, or the individual vaccines, before or had the diseases. You won't need the TD if you've had a booster within the last 10 years. The easiest way to deal with the proof is to make an appointment with your GP's nurse (some practices run a "travel clinic", especially at this time of year, which specifically deals with vaccinations so this may be a convenient option for you). You can go through your medical records together, and photocopy anything of relevence - which she can stamp and sign to make it official. Your word is not enough proof.

You can get the TD for free from your GP's surgery if you need it. Since MMR is not a standard adult vaccination in the UK, you'll probably have to pay for it yourself.

It will cost you around £50 to get both jabs at the visa medical. You'll save money if you get the TD sorted out by your GP (either evidence of recent booster or new booster). As for the MMR, it depends what your GP charges for this.
Old May 31st 2002, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

robmcintosh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there Hazel,
I'm going thro the K1 fiance process at the moment and currently awaiting an interview date, so I've also had a look at the vacc req.
I agree with Ameriscot in that all you'll prob need is MMR and Tetnus but if you've not found it already there is a chart on thye UK embassy site which will tell you (dependant on your age) exactly what you'll need, see...
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...ccinechart.htm

I have already visited my Gp's nurse and we've agreed that all i need is Tetnus and MMR, she's said I can just book an appointment for them when I want, and I will not have to pay, (i dont qualify for free prescriptions)
NB : The paying part could well depend on your own health authority and GP tho.

Good luck,
Rob.
Old May 31st 2002, 6:20 am
Cool Brittania

Thanks, Rob and Ameriscot.

That's all I needed to know....for now!

It's a minefield out there, innit? Can I get a vaccination against Rabid Bureaucracy
while I'm at it?

cheers, -- hazel

Old Jun 1st 2002, 4:20 am
Simon Jessey

<<You won't need the MMR if you can prove that you have either had it, or the
individual vaccines, before or had the diseases.>>

That is not always the case. I have had mumps and rubella and I was vaccinated for
measles. Because I could not give complete evidence to back it up (doctor had written
down the year, but not the specific date) I was told to either have a blood test to
check for antibodies or have MMR.

In the end, it proved cheaper to have MMR than do the blood test. I waited until I
was actually IN the USA before doing it because it cost me nothing after being added
to my wife's health insurance.

Simon Jessey

See my timeline and get K1 / AOS info at my website:- http://jessey.net/visa