British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Vacation and time off from work (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/vacation-time-off-work-759287/)

miss scouse atl May 23rd 2012 1:42 pm

Vacation and time off from work

I really miss the time off I used to get in the UK!. I now get 2 weeks off a year (which I have already had). Just wondering how much vacation and bank holidays everyone else gets?. Depends where you work I guess. :p

Scouse Express May 23rd 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Vacation and time off from work

I am lucky to have 3 weeks after 15 years in. I get 4 after 20 in - Whoop-De-Frickin'-Doooooo.

Jim.

miss scouse atl May 23rd 2012 2:00 pm

urgh!.....thats awful. I guess I shouldn't moan, I get 2 weeks after being there 5 years. I used to get 6 weeks:lol:

Hillsforest. May 23rd 2012 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by miss scouse atl (Post 10077731)
urgh!.....thats awful. I guess I shouldn't moan, I get 2 weeks after being there 5 years. I used to get 6 weeks:lol:

all being well with the visa I move in october and ive got 20 to start, 25 after 5 years service, 2 floating days on top of that too.

im scouse too, and im moving to atl haha:thumbsup:

rpjs May 23rd 2012 2:10 pm

My firm recently upped our vacation allowance to 15 days start, 20 days after three years (which is what I have, including service in the UK), 25 days after five years. We also have nine days fixed holidays and three more that can be chosen from a list. Once I've done my five years I'll have more time off than I ever had in the UK.

ChocolateBabz May 23rd 2012 2:17 pm

Hubby retained his 5 weeks that he had in the UK plus he gets the public holidays (9 or 12?).

I get 365 days, 366 if it's a leap year :eek:

miss scouse atl May 23rd 2012 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 10077744)
My firm recently upped our vacation allowance to 15 days start, 20 days after three years (which is what I have, including service in the UK), 25 days after five years. We also have nine days fixed holidays and three more that can be chosen from a list. Once I've done my five years I'll have more time off than I ever had in the UK.

You are really lucky!. 2 weeks just isn't enough time if you want to try and have a family holiday and take a trip back home.

Scouse Express May 23rd 2012 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by miss scouse atl (Post 10077731)

Used to have 6, as well.

Started off with 1 week after 1 year, then 2 weeks after 5.

As long as I get in at least 260 days of work a year in, I can ask for particular days off and they are usually granted......unless it's busier than you know what.

Jim.

miss scouse atl May 23rd 2012 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Hillsforest. (Post 10077743)
all being well with the visa I move in october and ive got 20 to start, 25 after 5 years service, 2 floating days on top of that too.

im scouse too, and im moving to atl haha:thumbsup:

Welcome to Atlanta....I hope you like driving and love sitting in traffic:lol:

Nutek May 23rd 2012 2:28 pm

Used to get 6 weeks plus Bank Holidays / Xmas etc. I Currently get 3 weeks.

What I miss more though are real lunch breaks... in pubs. :)

miss scouse atl May 23rd 2012 2:30 pm

Bank holidays.....xmas.....what are they?. I work them all!:lol:. Maybe I should change jobs.

Guindalf May 23rd 2012 3:08 pm

Atlanta's not that bad! Well, it's not if you live 90 miles NE of the city anyway ;)

I get 20 days plus holidays, but that includes sick time. I work for a small company and built up to four weeks after seven years (I was also laid off three years ago and got re-employed last year, but retained my entitlement).

Bink May 23rd 2012 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10077781)

What I miss more though are real lunch breaks... in pubs. :)

You and me both!! :beer: It just doesn't seem to be the done thing here.

I get 4 weeks plus the period between Christmas/New Year but I opened an office here for a British company. I get the bank holidays too so can't complain really.

Bob May 23rd 2012 5:07 pm

The missus works for a bank. They only observe 4 public holidays where they close, but if you are scheduled to work that day you've got to take PTO if you want to get paid.

She gets a few weeks PTO, including sick time, but that's because she's management and also got it grandfathered in as new hires get far less.

Brucky May 23rd 2012 5:43 pm

I've gone from roughly 8 weeks paid holiday a year to 12 days! Takes getting used to. :rofl: