Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Using a B1/B2 visa as a backup while on E3

Wikiposts

Using a B1/B2 visa as a backup while on E3

Old May 4th 2013, 5:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Using a B1/B2 visa as a backup while on E3

I've done some further reading. From what I understand, I can apply for a COS, and can remain in the US until it's been processed, but in the event that it gets denied, I would have those days counted against me in terms if time spent "out of status". This seems like an incredibly dangerous move.
Why?

For flying to Canada and back, which option do u believe would be more likely to allow for a smoother entry at the POE in the US: getting back in through B1/B2, or through a tourist VWP (available to aussies)?
No difference but you said you had a B2.

In terms of making it seem legit, I could simply fly to LA and say to the officials that I want to hang out in Hollywood for a week. I could even book a flight back to Australia and everything (which I would then cancel).
Sounds like you need to read up on the VWP requirements.

Kinda annoying that I have to "game" the system, just because of a tiny minority of ppl that do abuse the system and stay for long periods when they shouldn't be there.
And people gaming the system....

I don't understand how this would work. How would the Canadians know I was out of status? My passport visa would still have the same expiry date. Also, I would make sure I left before I became out of status.
Computers. Not just of use for Facebook. And BE.
Old May 4th 2013, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

Cydonia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
Why?
Because the last thing I could possibly want is to have days out of status on my record

Sounds like you need to read up on the VWP requirements.
I can't see any requirements on here that I wouldn't be able to fulfull with a tourist trip to Hollywood:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wi...hout_1990.html

Computers. Not just of use for Facebook. And BE.
Ok but my experience with databases (I am a software engineer BTW) is that the small details can often get lost.
Old May 4th 2013, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

Because the last thing I could possibly want is to have days out of status on my record
If it is such a big deal to you make sure you have a long enough notice period.

I can't see any requirements on here that I wouldn't be able to fulfull with a tourist trip to Hollywood:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wi...hout_1990.html
Did you see the bit about requiring to show onward travel arrangements?

There is also at least one incorrect statement on that link.

Ok but my experience with databases (I am a software engineer BTW) is that the small details can often get lost.
Certainly happens, would it happen in your case, well how would you know?
Old May 4th 2013, 7:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cydonia
In terms of making it seem legit, I could simply fly to LA and say to the officials that I want to hang out in Hollywood for a week. I could even book a flight back to Australia and everything (which I would then cancel).
The above method sounds like the dangerous one to me. Don't do anything that just "seems" legit, do the actual legit action. Don't lie to immigration officials. Don't book a flight that you don't intend to be on, just to make it look good for you.

Kinda annoying that I have to "game" the system...
You don't have to "game" the system. You should plan accordingly so that you specifically do NOT game the system.

Rene
Old May 4th 2013, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Don't book a flight that you don't intend to be on, just to make it look good for you.
Why not? Using a tourist VWP to look for a job.... I would consider this to belong purely within the "white lie" territory. It's not like I'm trying to blow up the WTC here.
Old May 4th 2013, 9:23 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Any lie to a PoE is a huge black one, because they have a habit of coming back and biting you in the ass.
Old May 4th 2013, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

If it came up in future interviews, it's impossible for them to know that my intention was to look for a job (unless I'm mistaken, mind-reading technology has not been invented yet).
Old May 5th 2013, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

The US and Canada have shared criminal databases for years, and have recently started to share their respective immigration and consular databases. For example, if your status has expired in one country, the other one will know about it. If one country refused a visa, the other one will know about it.

I would point out that, on H-1 or E-3, although you are "out of status" the moment you lose your job, you do not accumulate "unlawful presence" until USCIS or and IJ make a formal finding.
Old May 5th 2013, 1:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jxv73
I would point out that, on H-1 or E-3, although you are "out of status" the moment you lose your job, you do not accumulate "unlawful presence" until USCIS or and IJ make a formal finding.
Neither are d/s so not so.

On this subject what happened to Chad Rock could be pertinent.
Old May 5th 2013, 1:25 am
Just Joined

Could you elaborate on this?
Old May 5th 2013, 1:34 am
Account Closed

There are some visa types that are admitted for duration of status. F1 is the most common.

E3 is not amongst them. Basically the same as h1b.
Old May 5th 2013, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

On this subject what happened to Chad Rock could be pertinent.
Let me clarify:

I would point out that, on H-1 or E-3, although you are "out of status" the moment you lose your job, you do not accumulate "unlawful presence" until your I-94 expires or USCIS or and IJ make a formal finding, whichever comes first.

Source:http://www.laborimmigration.com/wp-c...may-6-2009.pdf Page 25. (Can also be found in http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/A...tml#0-0-0-1843)

Last edited by jxv73; May 5th 2013 at 1:44 am.
Old May 5th 2013, 1:41 am
Just Joined

K so if I applied for a COS to B1/B2, then I would have some time even though I'd be officially "out of status", before I either got a response about whether the COS was successful, or IJ make a finding?

And then the "out of status" time would not be a problem in future interviews, since I wouldn't have actually generated any "unlawful presence"?
Old May 5th 2013, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

K so if I applied for a COS to B1/B2, then I would have some time even though I'd be officially "out of status", before I either got a response about whether the COS was successful, or IJ make a finding?

And then the "out of status" time would not be a problem in future interviews, since I wouldn't have actually generated any "unlawful presence"?
If you apply to COS, you do not accumulate unlawful presence while the application is pending. If USCIS approves the status, it does so retroactively, so you do not accumulate time out of status. If it denies it, please see the link: http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/A...tml#0-0-0-1843 as it can get quite complicated.

Only "unlawful presence" triggers the 3- or 10- year bar.
Old May 5th 2013, 3:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Kinda annoying that I have to "game" the system, just because of a tiny minority of ppl that do abuse the system and stay for long periods when they shouldn't be there.
You would be attempting to do exactly this though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.