Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Used to live in California, Now living in Norway!

Used to live in California, Now living in Norway!

Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:24 am
Just Joined

Ezequiel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Used to live in California, Now living in Norway!

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Well if you take it all the way through to naturalization, we have evidence that one person made it. But were they lucky?
I'm not sure what are you talking about or what are you trying to say as i didn't mention "naturalization" in my post.

He/she just need to buy a plane ticket, once in the U.S. the immigration officer will tell him/her what to do, i pretty sure they just going to give him/her an application to renew his/her Green card, Personal experience here it happened to me.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:27 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ezequiel
I'm not sure what are you talking about or what are you trying to say as i didn't mention "naturalization" in my post.

He/she just need to buy a plane ticket, once in the U.S. the immigration officer will tell him/her what to do, i pretty sure they just going to give him/her an application to renew his/her Green card, Personal experience here it happened to me.
Precisely!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 4:29 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Personal experience here it happened to me.
Yes, your experience, but certainly not policy and not something someone might want to bank a long flight on.

How would you answer the usual IO question: How long have you been outside the US?
Old Jul 15th 2008, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yes, your experience, but certainly not policy and not something someone might want to bank a long flight on.

How would you answer the usual IO question: How long have you been outside the US?
He will answer that question with the truth, he was a minor when his parents took him out the country, what can he do? tell his parents at the age of 12yr no i'm staying by myself here in the U.S. even though i don't have family here?

You loose your GC if you leave the country with the intention of abandoning the country, he didn't take that decision his parents did.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:29 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

it is incredibly irresponsible to pronounce that someone will be fine doing it a certain way when NOTHING is guaranteed. You can suggest that IN YOUR OPINION they are LIKELY to be fine but anything firmer than that COULD inadvertantly cause a lot of heartache and expense IF someone reads your words and acts upon them and IT doesnt work that way.

Are you going to guarantee him? and recompense his costs if your wrong? Thought not!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

You loose your GC if you leave the country with the intention of abandoning the country, he didn't take that decision his parents did.
You say this as though it matters to USCIS why he left the US. They don't care, nor are they obligated to take the parent's actions into account.

Ian
Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

one day in back in 2001 i found my Green Card
Can I assume this was pre-9/11?

In August '01 I got a visa to allow me to live and work in the US for a year. No interviews, no visit to the embassy, not biometrics, etc, etc. I just filled in the forms (for a J-1), threw my passport in an envelope and sent it off.

Week and a half later, my passport arrived back with a visa in it!

When that visa expired in '02, my company got me an H-1B (no lottery then). Again, no interviews, no biometrics, no embassy visit... a few more forms, passport in envelope again, big check for premium processing... 2 weeks later, I got another visa and the ability to live and work in the US for another 3-years!

If I wanted to go on, after marrying a yank, I took part in the DORA (Dallas Office Rapid Adjustment) pilot program to get a greencard... got my greencard 12 weeks after applying. That program has since been abolished as far as I know.

My point is, things change. You got lucky, and good for you. The chances of that plan working again are about as likely as someone managing what I did, to be quite honest!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MsElui
it is incredibly irresponsible to pronounce that someone will be fine doing it a certain way when NOTHING is guaranteed. You can suggest that IN YOUR OPINION they are LIKELY to be fine but anything firmer than that COULD inadvertantly cause a lot of heartache and expense IF someone reads your words and acts upon them and IT doesnt work that way.

Are you going to guarantee him? and recompense his costs if your wrong? Thought not!
I don't consider what i said is irresponsible, what happened to him/her happened to ME. His/her Green Card expired NOT his/her status as a Permanent Resident.

Personal experience here!

I had gone thruogh that process, and i'm confident that i'm giving the correct opinion/answer, all of you can just speculate.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 3:30 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

is EVERY fact in your situation EXACTLY the same as the OP's? Will he definatly have the same POE officer to deal with (whose feeling in the same mood on the day as he dealt with you).

If you cant honestly reply to yes to both of those then your talking out your arse. I sincerly hope you dont give any more 'guaranteed' bogus advice out on this board. We often get people on here who dont speak English so well and if they just read your answer without understanding the whole context they could cause themselves a lot of grief/cost. But what do you care - you're okay and its easy to promise the earth to anyone else on an anon forum with no comeback. You should be ashamed! I dont want to hear any more of this type of bogus guarantee so im putting you on ignore.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MsElui
is EVERY fact in your situation EXACTLY the same as the OP's? Will he definatly have the same POE officer to deal with (whose feeling in the same mood on the day as he dealt with you).

If you cant honestly reply to yes to both of those then your talking out your arse. I sincerly hope you dont give any more 'guaranteed' bogus advice out on this board. We often get people on here who dont speak English so well and if they just read your answer without understanding the whole context they could cause themselves a lot of grief/cost. But what do you care - you're okay and its easy to promise the earth to anyone else on an anon forum with no comeback. You should be ashamed! I dont want to hear any more of this type of bogus guarantee so im putting you on ignore.
They way some posters put it here, people who have never been here in the U.S. before will think that immigrantion officers at the airports are Monsters.

I had never encountered an immigrantion officer with a bad mood/temper, they are just doing their job.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 5:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

They way some posters put it here, people who have never been here in the U.S. before will think that immigrantion officers at the airports are Monsters.

I had never encountered an immigrantion officer with a bad mood/temper, they are just doing their job.
Again, that's your personal experience. We've seen plenty of other people's experiences on here where they get turned away from the POE immediately, or worse yet, have to spend a night in holding while waiting for the next day's flight back to their home country.

Yes, they are just doing their job, you were fortunately to have nice guys in a good mood. Others aren't so lucky.

Rene
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

zarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nice

I don't know what to say about this, but anyhow thanks for the replies.
I haven't made up my decision yet, but it will most likely will be going to the consulate.
My father just has to find his old passport. In the older passports there were stamps for me AA-3 etc. No stamps for when I entered on B visa though.. as far as I know.

Again, I will just have to tell them the truth, that I never intended to give up my residency.

You will hear from me when I take the next step.

Regards,
Ian
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't either but my wife has. And the funny thing is she's a US citizen.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

zarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nice

Seems like I'm going to try to get the SB-1 Returning Resident Alien visa.
There are no Norwegian attorneys here wanting to take such a case. Since they do not know US Law good enough.

I'm somewhat stuck now though.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zarya
Seems like I'm going to try to get the SB-1 Returning Resident Alien visa.
There are no Norwegian attorneys here wanting to take such a case. Since they do not know US Law good enough.
Why do you need a Norwegian attorney?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.