Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Used to live in California, Now living in Norway!

Used to live in California, Now living in Norway!

Old Jun 28th 2008, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

zarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nice
Default Re: Used to live in California, Now living in Norway!

Thanks for the honest answers guys, I am sorry if anybody got frustrated with my stupidity and ignorance, but again I really do not know all that much about immigration.

So again thanks a lot for the help so far, I will probably need some help from many of you again. Now for the more serious business.

I thought I was a permanent resident, but this was nothing I knew. I only "assumed" this because my father had a green card. (I will have to choose my words very very wisely at the consult about this).

I have got a hold of my green card (hey I'm pretty cute on it too, I guess I'm only a few years old ). I also have the Alien Immigration Registration paper that was filled out back in 1991 at the consult. I will also of course get a hold of every single paper I've got that has to do with anything of this matter.

Have a nice weekend folks! I just grabbed a beer from the fridge.. been out doing yard work since 8am. 'pff
Old Jun 28th 2008, 7:00 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zarya
I will also of course get a hold of every single paper I've got that has to do with anything of this matter.
How bizarre - that was exactly what i told you to do in January when you were supposedly going to speak to the lawyer the first time.

in the other post you said that you would go to the us and go into secondary and 'make an appointment to explain' your situation. It is my understanding they WONT just let you breeze off into the country at that point. You would be held in detention until you were put before an immigration judge to get a decision. It could go in your favour (or not) but it has to be a fairly unpleasant experience - especially if you fail and are then deported back on the next plane. You really need to question the lawyer in MORE DETAIL so you actually understand the details and consequences of the scenario - its not the breeze you think it is.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

zarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nice

I never said it was a breeze. This is a complicated matter. In which I will have to read a lot of laws and understand it all with help of a lawyer.
I thought of going to the US and doing exactly what you said, but I believe the best solution is the consulate at this point.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Also, regarding detention I've talked to my lawyer about this.
He said that my best chance was to do that, but he also said it was a very expensive thing to do and that my best shot for value was the consulate.

On monday I will be calling a few other attorney's just to find out what they think about the case.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 2:25 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

He said that my best chance was to do that, but he also said it was a very expensive thing to do and that my best shot for value was the consulate.
I don't really care what you do one way or the other... but if this is so important to you, why do you want to do this the "cheap" way rather than the "best" way.

Ian
Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

I've got some new information that may or may not be positive information in my behalf.

My father's last green card entry was in 2005.(We did not really reside in the US at this time)
I did not own my own passport until sometime 2006-2007 I believe. My parents never applied for a own passport for me. Every entry we made was stamped in their passports.
Last entry we made as a family was in 1999 I believe. My father made green card entries after 1999. I found out my mom, me and my sisters had a vacation to Fremont in 1999.. We believe we entered on the B visa at that time.(With except for my sisters whom are citizens).

Now, does any of his entries help me in any way? I was a minor, I did not hold my own passport and hence I could not held liable for anything.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:02 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

presumably if you were on a B visa - then the visa showed all your names on the sticker?

if you all entered on a B visa in 1999 - that might be seen as admitting an abandonment of the earlier GC. ie if he hadnt wanted to abandon the GC - he would have tried to enter the US using the Green card then. Using another visa kinds of shows he felt the GC wasnt valid/wanted more.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

No my father never entered on B visa, only my mother, my sisters and me.
He was still living in the US at that point.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:21 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

I believe what i said still stands - using the visa implies the previous GC was abandoned - as if you didnt intend to abandon it you wouldnt have needed a visa.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
I believe what i said still stands - using the visa implies the previous GC was abandoned - as if you didnt intend to abandon it you wouldnt have needed a visa.
Except that it would seem that he was unaware that he had a GC...which of course would be impossible to prove.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:51 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Except that it would seem that he was unaware that he had a GC...which of course would be impossible to prove.
but the mother and father would have been aware - or why bother going through the expense and effort of apply for a visa? Im just thinking that uscis are not usually known for looking on the helpful side of things. maybe the lawyer could do better?
Old Jul 15th 2008, 12:20 am
Just Joined

Ezequiel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I guess this is my story:

For almost 8 years of my life I lived in California, I grew up there with my family. My father applied the green card lottery and won. We moved to the states shortly after. My sisters were both were born in California and thus automatically having a citizenship.

Unfortunately my parents never applied for a citizenship for me. We moved the year after I could apply (used to be 5 years in order to get citizenship).

I am very uncertain on how to obtain a citizenship of any form.
My first plan is to go back on a vacation next year for a total of 3 weeks. My goal is to take a look around, enjoy myself and see if it is worth it.

If I obtain a visa of some kind, I have really no idea on how long my stay would be, my guess is 1 year for starts.

Please let me know what my options are, the local embassy doesn't seem to want to listen to my story at all.

Regards,
Ian
Hey Zarya! i've been reading this forum for quite a while now and you question made me sign in because the same thing happen to me. :curse:

I'm originally from the Dominican Republic and i moved to the U.S when i was 9yr in 1989, after 2 year of living in the U.S my mother moved me, and my 2 brothers back to the DR, one day in back in 2001 i found my Green Card and it had expired back in 2000, my 2 brothers Green Card where ok because it didn't have a expiration date, they had the white old one without expiration date, and i had the Pink one.

I didn't go crazy, i didn't contact the Embassy, i didn't conctact a lawyer, i bought a plane ticket to the U.S.

Once in the airport in Newark, NJ i gave my NEW passport without stamp, and my expired Green card to the immigration officer (Female), she just asked me, do you know that your Green Card expired, and i said yes, i was very calm, What can they do?

She put all my documents in a big envelop and sent me to a room, 5 minutes after another immigrantion officer called me and gave me an application, and told me that i needed to renewed my GC as soon as possible especially if i was planning to exist the U.S. again.

Just get a new passport buy a plane ticket, take your GC with you, you won't have any problem, plus you were a minor, it was your parents decision not your.

I hope that help. Good luck!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 12:23 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ezequiel
Just get a new passport buy a plane ticket, take your GC with you, you won't have any problem,
I don't see any evidence of this in your post.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 12:37 am
Just Joined

Ezequiel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I don't see any evidence of this in your post.
What kind of evidence do you need Fatbrit?
Old Jul 15th 2008, 12:50 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ezequiel
What kind of evidence do you need Fatbrit?
Well if you take it all the way through to naturalization, we have evidence that one person made it. But were they lucky?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.